• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

new kit/old kit

I used to use a tent that belonged to my father. It was an orange canvas tent which instead of a zip at the front had a sort of tube entrance that could be closed by bunching it up and tying strings around it. My dad had used it on an expedition of the Gouffre Berger cave in the sixties which at the time was thought to be the deepest cave in the world. During the expedition two (if I'm not mistaken) of the team managed to obtain the world depth record.
I'm not sure if it was the same expedition that Fernand Petzl was on but I do have very vague recollections of visiting Petzl and the workshop in which he made his climbing gear when I was very young. I'll have a chat with my mother and get the rest of the details.
I have a horrible feeling that I put the tent away damp along with the sleeping bag that he used and both became rotten and were discarded. I used them for a couple of folk festivals when I was a young teen and now my father is gone very much wish that I still had them

i've just got hold of some thermo insulation from work, 4mm thick, gonna put it between the top two layers in me hammock. it rolls up nicely and should be able to leave it there when i pack it away, i'll try it later and see.
similar to this

i've just got hold of some thermo insulation from work, 4mm thick, gonna put it between the top two layers in me hammock. it rolls up nicely and should be able to leave it there when i pack it away, i'll try it later and see.
similar to this

Can you let me know if it's any good? Guessing that you wake up in the night with a cold back too?

no probs mate. not gonna try it properly though untill the bushy, i put some in me work shed and it made a massive difference straight away, so hopefully will work a treat. waterproof aswell.

I have seen a video by Sercout a few months back where he used a tough thick blanket as a hammock.... you got a warm wrap as well as a hammock and it looked very sturdy!! Well worth a look and here you go.....

Back