• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

new knife

Matt

Site Owner
Staff member
Tool van popped into work today :) went out for a look see and spied a knife which i thought id bag for the princely sum of £20.
IMG_20210427_165744.jpg
IMG_20210427_165815.jpg
its an opinel no 9

Its nice Mike.....but not sure I like the blade configuration that much........can you imagine the patterns that would leave when buttering your bread? 🤭

Having just had my first play with it I'm not impressed with the blade either Bill. The strait edge is only ground on one side like the serrated part of the blade making it cut on the squew. The whistle is excellent but doesn't make up for the blade. I give this Opinel outdoor no.8 only 3/10....ideal as an escape knife or survival knife for kayaking but that is it.
I didn't try spreading butter 🙄

Do you think they may have been better off keeping the cutting blade as just that?
If they wanted to incorporate a serrated edge.....have it the full length on the back of the blade........instead of trying to get half and half over such a short length 🤔

Do you think they may have been better off keeping the cutting blade as just that?
If they wanted to incorporate a serrated edge.....have it the full length on the back of the blade........instead of trying to get half and half over such a short length 🤔
I think the blade has the feel of being cheaply made which is a great shame for Opinel. Other stainless editions of the no.8 had much better ground blades that performed in a similar way to the Carbon edition...it's just not up to their usual high standard.
I have no issue with the better made half and half stainless blades in knives made by firms like Spyderco etc.
The Opinel no.8 Outdoor retails at only £24.99 but frankly is not worth it. (I'm just glad I didn't pay full price for it.)
On the bright side, it won't rust or swell shut like the original Carbon and it was cheap enough for me to consider bevelling the flat side myself.

Back