• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New knife......

BmxArgh

Slightly Talkative
Well I've been using this (picture) lock knife for the last year or so but to be honest it's ok but not for heavy duty or for any length of time to work with as the handle is uncomfortable. I won't be getting ride of as will still be handy for bits and bobs but my new knife is here.
Was going for the Helle Utvaer but decided for the very similar Lars Falt from Casström for a couple of reasons. Around £40 cheaper, the harder 720 carbon steel which will take more up keep due to elements but I don't mind that and then a more sturdy thicker leather sheath, handle shape.
_20180226_173131.JPG

_20180226_173045.JPG

20180226172847.JPG

Feels as solid as it looks and super comfy in hand compared to that lock knife along with a really good quality sheath, super thick leather. Pretty chuffed with it. Bit of bling yeah but pfffft built to last I reckon.

Cheers man, reckon it'll be up to the 'jobs'. Still getting my head round how nice it is in hand, and how solid it feels. A reassuring weight to it.
Got a nice sized whetstone in the garage but might invest in a little lansky diamond stone for out and about.

Tarps and hammocks being researched but not essential just yet as if land comes through can spend a day with lad just making, building, cooking etc and always come home without sleeping over. Get a set base camp cleared to start so to speak. If it doesn't then hike or bike up the Mendips for the day and do the same.

Cheers man, reckon it'll be up to the 'jobs'. Still getting my head round how nice it is in hand, and how solid it feels. A reassuring weight to it.
Got a nice sized whetstone in the garage but might invest in a little lansky diamond stone for out and about.

Tarps and hammocks being researched but not essential just yet as if land comes through can spend a day with lad just making, building, cooking etc and always come home without sleeping over. Get a set base camp cleared to start so to speak. If it doesn't then hike or bike up the Mendips for the day and do the same.
Looks like its all coming together

Certainly is!
To be honest you don't need a huge amount to go outside and have fun as the entertainment is already there especially if not sleeping out and day tripping. A knife is a basic though. Problem is I've always liked knives, something about them, my younger brother had a large collection when we were kids and I'm sure he'll paw this one and get excited when I see him next even if we are 48 and 46 respectively now. I know I'll end up with more but not for now........
As for sleeping out well unfortunately I like that also and the reasonably priced DD hammocks are shortlisted as a pair wont break the bank but my 10 year old lad will be glad of a slightly warmer night so no rush on them. Fire building, setting a space with maybe a tarp and cooking when out is cool for a days play.

Good choice, a mate of mine got the Helle utvaer, the sheath was very poor and the knife in general was not what I would expect from Helle.
The Castrom looks nice and if Lars Falt has put his name on it, well I trust him a lot more than I would Bear Grills.

The sheath is bonkers thick 3mm leather. Even just from looking at online pics you could see the difference in the two.
What really appealed sheath wise apart from the appearance of obviously thicker leather is the single cut wrapped outer with the belt loop included in the cut not added on as an addititional piece just bolted on.
You then have two more strips running side by side down the blade edge of the sheath stitched and welded in.
This is one seriously sturdy sheath. Finish of the weld and stitch is extremely good. I'll probably give the leather a quick treatment before it gets outside for good measure. Dig out the Brooks saddle wax maybe, very thin coats works wonders and protects.

20180226221119.JPG

20180226221121.JPG

_20180226_222650.JPG

Good leather work and what will hopefully prove to be a hardy sheath.

Wow well it looks like there really is no comparison between the sheaths, although the Helle that I saw was when they had only just come out (so they could have improved to be fair). The knife looks pretty hard to beat too.

The new one is looking very good!

Thank You for showing!

Locking folders you never can trust. That is nothing for bushcraft in my opinion.

If I don't take the large one, I carry an Opinel 7 or 8 Carbone or a Victorinox Compact or Climber for longer trekking tours in the summer.
Than I know it doesn't lock and its fine. Locking folders are simply dangerous.

Very possibly with the Helle knife Kuukkeli and it still looks like a quality knife, personal preference of course is an element always.
I was unsure of the handle shape with the Helle, the little kick out curve at the bottom of the handle and how my reasonable sized hand and pinky would sit with it.
Also I usually like to get hands on with a lot of things I buy especially if for physical use. Sadly nothing near me I could go and compare by holding so I spent literally hours looking at pics and specs of different knives. Then got down to between the Helle and the Casström and from what a I could find online the handle length and shape was for me another decider. I actually prefer the blade shape of the Helle Utvaer but if it were not comfortable in hand a blade shape being preferable would be pretty pointless as I doubt I'd use it.
Pretty sure either knife would be a good choice it just came down to me spending hours over about three or four days with these final two looking at everything about them both, comparing and deciding which was going to be my best for me hopefully. I think I got it right, as soon as I got it in hand it just seemed to fit. Someone elses hand and preferences could be a different matter and the Helle would still be a solid choice I'm sure.

................then again I could have taken the elements I liked from both knives and had a custom one made but the would just be ridiculous wouldn't it......🤔🤔🤔 but nice no doubt along with a hefty price tag 😬

Of course we all have different hands ,different ways of working and different preferences. My most used camp knife is one I made a couple of years ago from a piece of O1 tool steel. It's not pretty but it works very well for me, maybe less well for someone else.

Nice knife and sheath BMX :thumbsup: should last you a while and give good service......glad you are happy with it.:thumbsup:

Nice pictures too.

Back