• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

new Made in England hobo stove

teef

Slightly Addicted
for those of you that might "need" a new and nicely made twig stove English Woodsman (aka Dan) has a new offering:

he's a sheet metal worker by trade and cooked this up with a mate of his. he's tested it pretty extensively over the last several months and made a number of upgrades. they're finally being made available for purchase.

if you'd rather see it in action before dishing out your £££ i'll post pics here once i've received and tested mine.

Dan's a good egg. for example he's giving all the profits on this first run to his local food banks.

(fwiw i don't know the guy personally, just a sub on his 'Tube channel)

Seen some of his stuff, he's quite prolific, fair play to him for donating, that's good of him.

Been a sub on his channel for some time, tells it as is, I'll have a looksee :)

just received my EWM stove. gotta say, i'm impressed! very stout and sturdy unit, excellent fit and finish. hands-down the best "flat pack" stove i've seen to date.
if you like the Firebox and you're happy with the flat-pack design (assemble the bits) then you'll love this one. quality bit of kit, 100%.

some numbers:
1.2mm lazer cut stainless throughout
5.25" square, 6" deep burn chamber
1100g

a burn test will probably have to wait for the weekend, pics to follow.

ok, back from my weekly outing which was test day for the new EWM stove. some pics:

ewm-2.png

ewm-3.png

ewm-4.png

bit of a stress test for it today, almost three hours straight burn. and as you can see i didn't spare the fuel.

there was a bit of warpage, might be able to tell from the right hand side of the last pic. this made it a bit of a fiddle to disassemble at the end because the plates had tightened up a bit but not much of a bother really. Dan says the minor warpage is normal especially on long, hot burns: he recommends simply reversing the plates for the next run.

i think this is the third "flat pack" stove i've tried -- meaning flat plates with interlocking tabs that you piece together to build up the stove -- which includes a titanium one and this is by far the better one for my tastes and needs.

what i really like about it:
  • sturdy plate stock (1.2mm)
  • simple design
  • lots of airflow to feed the fire
  • large burn chamber, largest of any flat pack that i've seen
  • can handle long, hot burns
  • looks good

what i don't like:

yup, that's right, i have nothing to complain about here. it's a damn good stove and i'm happy to have it.

@teef

Nice pictures teef.....thanks for sharing........good to hear you are happy with the new stove :thumbsup:
I think most fire pits and twig burners suffer a bit of warpage.......no biggie though mate.

Good to see a ground protector in use with the stove :thumbsup:.......how small does that fold away?

Good to see a ground protector in use with the stove :thumbsup:.......how small does that fold away?

the ground protector is just a large veg steamer, folds up to be about 5" across and about 2" high. needless to say the superfluous plastic bits get tossed.
it's a bit of bulk but with a large pipe hose clamp around it you can use it -- with the folding sides standing up -- as a wee fire basket unto itself.
versatile little bit of kit .

veg-steamer.png

if i misunderstood and you were asking about the folded size of the stove that's about 5.5" x 6.5" x 0.25". i'm guesstimating, it's out in the garage buried in my pack and i've got a fresh cuppa here so i'll confirm that later. the only glaring thing about the stove in terms of packability is the weight, 1100g. all that thick (1.2mm) stainless comes at a price, of course.

Thanks for that Teef :thumbsup:.......nifty little piece of kit :thumbsup:

The burden of weight attached to these stainless steel stoves is worth the carry I think.......especially when your brewing up and cooking you're grub...... and keeping the chill off of you with a nice controlled fire.

I have a fire blanket that I have been meaning to cut a square from to go under the "Firebox" to help protect the floor........must get it done :rolleyes:

@Brambling

Nice one Annie......that looks a lot tidier than a frayed piece of fire blanket :D 🤭

Had a look at the Winnerwell Back packer stove you mentioned.........nice solid bit of kit and a nice design :thumbsup:

just looked, seems Winnerwell offers quite a range of woodsy stoves and accessories. and that Backpackers stove looks like a damn good option. thanks for the mention @Brambling .

as it happens i prefer top-feed as opposed to bottom-feed twig stoves so am perfectly happy with the Firebox and the EWM stove, but that's just a personal thing i think, both get the job done.

and that plumber's mat is a brilliant idea! found on fleabay for a fiver, maybe i'll shed the bulk of that veggie steamer. :)

for those of you that might be interested Dan has more of his stoves available, profits still going to charity:

Back