• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Pack needed.

My point is that because of the “tacti-cool” factor military packs are often more expensive that civi ones that are better specified.

Ultimately it’s up to the buyer; I’ve got both military and civi kit.

Reactions: Bam
Personal choice and fit Lol..... What suits one may not suit all..... You are a big chap so need to factor that in.
The burgen looks good by the way :thumbsup:

Personal choice and fit Lol..... What suits one may not suit all..... You are a big chap so need to factor that in.
The burgen looks good by the way :thumbsup:

^^^^ Wot he says. rucksacks are quite a personal thing.

I got a German Army (so they claimed) 100L bag a few years back it was about the price of that 80L one and was ok but not 'Berghaus' quality, the stitching was a bit crap in places and one of the grab handles started coming away. I think both Forest Wanders and Gizmo have similar bags, I gave mine to Smurf, good luck on your hunt mate, when you can, get yourself round a few places to see what works for you.

One of my favourites is the Noweigan Telemark pack.... A tried and trusted bit of kit and comfortable to carry.
Very well made and stands the test of time. :thumbsup:

• Love
Reactions: lol
^^^^ Wot he says. rucksacks are quite a personal thing.

I got a German Army (so they claimed) 100L bag a few years back it was about the price of that 80L one and was ok but not 'Berghaus' quality, the stitching was a bit crap in places and one of the grab handles started coming away. I think both Forest Wanders and Gizmo have similar bags, I gave mine to Smurf, good luck on your hunt mate, when you can, get yourself round a few places to see what works for you.
Was that an MFH bag as well.......if so you may have eliminated that one for me!? I liked the idea of an apparently adjustable back?
Interestingly, I have just found a "review" on this very site, by "lee"..............from 2018
Several reviews query the robustness of manufacture...........

Last edited:
Was that an MFH bag as well.......if so you may have eliminated that one for me!? I liked the idea of an apparently adjustable back?
Interestingly, I have just found a "review" on this very site, by "lee"..............from 2018
Several reviews query the robustness of manufacture...........
I've been through my account and found the one I got mate.

BW German Military Mountain Rucksack Mountain Infantry Army Mountain Pack/Army Set BW Keychain, olive: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Hope that helps.

Aye myself and gizmo have same pack mfh... Don't know if German army actually use mfh products.. OK for the woods and short hikes takes loads of beer🍻.... Oops sorry gear..... My previous bag highlander pro force 65 litre was just as good but didn't have those big pockets at the side for gear🏕️

I guess it depends on how heavily you want to load it, I've had 35kg(ish) in bags before and I don't think this one liked the weight. If you have bulky sleeping bags etc then the extra space is always useful though and as you say its not that pricey.

Aye myself and gizmo have same pack mfh... Don't know if German army actually use mfh products.. OK for the woods and short hikes takes loads of beer🍻.... Oops sorry gear..... My previous bag highlander pro force 65 litre was just as good but didn't have those big pockets at the side for gear🏕

The 'rocket pockets' are quite good, for me they go the wrong way and the 'zip join' should be at the bottom and not the top.

Is it a genuine German army pack or a German army “style” pack made for military first (and to a cost). If the latter then I would avoid as comparative top end packs are at least double that price.

Is it a genuine German army pack or a German army “style” pack made for military first (and to a cost). If the latter then I would avoid as comparative top end packs are at least double that price.

I took a punt and while I wasn't ripped off, aye, its not 'top end' for me. Its a large bag if that's what you need but not a patch on my Crusader.

No not genuine...........more, "style", and at a price?

Tempting though they seem at those prices, I think I lean towards the Snugpak...........the Sting is a little small, and suppliers few and far?

Tempting though they seem at those prices, I think I lean towards the Snugpak...........the Sting is a little small, and suppliers few and far?

If its something you plan on using for many years then its worth the expense mate.

As has been said further up the thread, its horses for courses, I've got some cracking hill walking bags that are really comfy and while I've struggled to get a good 'BIG' hill walking bag (that's not generally what they're about) for day or weekend they can be great. Its only since I really started getting back into living in the woods and especially cooking in the woods that I need the 'BIG' bag for shorter trips. I'm not as minimalist as I used to be. :oopsy:

All thoughts, experiences, abuse.......relatively welcomed :eek:

as it happens i'm pretty deep into more or less the same process as it sounds like you're into. i tend to go mil-surp because i like solid gear and don't have bags of cash to spend.

big question: what size bag do you think you need? 40L? 60L? 80L? bigger?

for the smaller end of the scale i'd personally go for something that has "cargo capabilites" as they say. in other words some way to expand your carrying capacity, usually with zip-on or MOLLE side bags. so something like these:
British Desert DPM Field Pack 45L or British MTP Infantry Pack 45L (basically same bag, different camo)
British Desert DPM Bowman or 60mm Mortar bags (as above but with waist belts plus a big of weight due to unusual secondary compartments).
Snugpak Rocket (60L?)
DD Bergen (55L?) (a somewhat lighter duty bag)
Karrimor Predator 45L (££)
Wisport Racoon 45L
(there are heaps of "military style" bags of this sort but far too many are a bit feeble in execution, caveat emptor)

for 80-100L bags i'd very much recommend looking at the British and Dutch DPM bergens: damn well made and good prices if you shop around. The British comes in long or short back, the Dutch bag has the torso adjustment (move the shoulder straps up or down). there's also the old Belgian 80L bag -- very similar to the Dutch in design -- but most folks gag at the "Jigsaw" camo pattern, cheap as chips though. all of these accomodate zip-on rocket pockets though the Belgian zippers go the "wrong" way round.

for bigger bags i can't say much as i have no applicable experience.

i should add a few words about the camo on mil-surp bags: don't forget that dyeing is always an option. for instance i've had pretty good success dyeing British Desert DPM to a darkish green or brown thus making a completely unappealing looking bag totally acceptable. cost of bag + packet of dye + an hour or so of your time = good kit at very reasonable price. just saying it's an option if you are so inclined.

Last edited:
ps. happy to provide links, recommended sources, etc if that would help. holler if you need such.

I've spent a few years doing the best pack thing and have bought and used a huge amount of kit. Currently my favourite has turned out to the cheapest - a Karrimor Jaguar S65. Paid £7 at a car boot sale for it, it has an adjustable, back decent belt and lots of room for not a lot of weight. I have since sewn on zips to put a single rocket pouch on the back and that now has all the capacity I need for a Winter trip whilst being comfortable to carry.
I've read that a bunch of these packs were bought in a hurry for the Falklands campaign and I can certainly believe it, it's a brilliant pack. And they do turn up on Ebay a lot.

I also have a 45 litre PRI Bowmen pack - these are brilliant packs, very tough and take a lot of gear. Highly recommended, although not as comfortable to wear as the Karrimor!

I have heard nothing but good stuff on the Jaguar.......................

Back