• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New project

Woodlander

Very Addicted
After waiting 2 years, I've finally got an allotment! 😁😁
It's 5 x 40 meters, south facing, lovely soil. Made a start on preparation for this year's crops.
IMG_20210326_170959_1.jpg
IMG_20210326_170952.jpg

Started working on it Wednesday
IMG_20210401_165859.jpg
IMG_20210401_165918.jpg

And made this herb planter today (Friday) from a pallet
IMG_20210402_172624.jpg
IMG_20210402_172628.jpg

I plan to grow many fruits and vegetables, I have all my seeds ready. Sweetcorn, carrot, pumpkin, squash, courgette, tomatoes, lettuce, parsnip, swede, potatoes, rhubarb, raspberries, strawberry, currant, just to name a few. Hopefully enough for me to supply 60% of my food for the year. Will update as I go along, any and all advice welcome

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_101517.jpg
    IMG_20210401_101517.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 83
I rented a petrol rotavator to dig up and relay my parents lawn, it was a god send and chopped through old roots and weeds with out me pausing for breath.

I rented a petrol rotavator to dig up and relay my parents lawn, it was a god send and chopped through old roots and weeds with out me pausing for breath.

We have an Oleomec rotovator and I've got to say they're a well worthwhile bit of kit.

I will pm you. It's an old Wolsey Merry Tller and I have a better engine to fit to it.
I will take some pictures tomorrow.
I rented a rotavator, cost me Β£60 for the day, I must say that it's made life so much easier. I did try to dig it over by hand, but the nettle roots and couch grass, made it akin to digging through a fishing net. Rotavator is definitely the best investment I think.

A rotovator really helps with the heavy work but it's still necessary to get those weed roots out πŸ˜•

A rotovator really helps with the heavy work but it's still necessary to get those weed roots out πŸ˜•
I agree. I was struggling, but once I broke through, it was just turn over with a fork a few times, then rake it over to remove the roots. Or as much as I could.
A lot of the other allotment tenants when they started, just covered the plot with black plastic and left it for the first year. It's hard work but I want to get some crops in this year. Next year I think will be the big one for a good harvest

Ah well, you're young and fit enough to manage a bit of weeding.
You may want to consider staggering your planting so that you don't get too much of any one thing that will not store.

Ah well, you're young and fit enough to manage a bit of weeding.
You may want to consider staggering your planting so that you don't get too much of any one thing that will not store.
Do you mean staggering by planting an set amount of one thing every few weeks? Or are you suggesting I should have a skinfull before planting out?
Either works well for me πŸ˜‚

Back