• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New rifle

That's a really nice rifle, I hadn't noticed before, but I see the barrel is free floating from halfway along the fore end . Next time you take a photo Matt could you put the mag in Please? I just want to see how it sits when in position.

That's a really nice rifle, I hadn't noticed before, but I see the barrel is free floating from halfway along the fore end . Next time you take a photo Matt could you put the mag in Please? I just want to see how it sits when in position.
IMG_20200410_152708.jpg
IMG_20200410_152722.jpg
IMG_20200410_152801.jpg
IMG_20200410_152744.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks Pal. I really like that, looks like a nice 'positive' mag load, with the flush alignment on the right side. Nice gun..
Now...is my reasoning sound ?...this is an open vote...
Being confined to Barracks means I am not spending money on fuel...I have saved..mmm..getting on for £200 on fuel, what with being unwell, locked up etc:...:rofl:

Brilliant! Thanks Pal. I really like that, looks like a nice 'positive' mag load, with the flush alignment on the right side. Nice gun..
Now...is my reasoning sound ?...this is an open vote...
Being confined to Barracks means I am not spending money on fuel...I have saved..mmm..getting on for £200 on fuel, what with being unwell, locked up etc:...:rofl:

if you shop around you can get them for a bit less than i paid :thumbsup: .... but for me its £200 well spent :rofl:

Honestly, with a little fettling some of the SMK rifles are really nice guns to hunt with. That one is fundamentally the same as my little CO2 rifle but with a much nicer stock.

Looking good mate :thumbsup: :)

Plenty of meat on the for-end of the stock buddy.......are going to fit a bipod to her?

Now the fully floating barrel is different from my old one which has an aluminium A frame between the reservoir and the barrel. I have no doubt that the fully floating barrel will prove to be much more consistent.

so after spending some time out with the rifle over the last few days its grown on me big time ,,, so nows the time to start moding it to suit my needs .. just ordered a more suitable barrel band for it so no need to worry about knocking it whilst im clambering about in the woodland

SMK PR900W Victory Barrel Band | eBay

I'm sure you know Matt, that you may need to re-zero it after you fit the barrel band. I assume the barrel band supports the free floating barrel against the fore end. That added rigidity may (possibly) change the flex of the barrel on firing, even with a PCP, and you may find your POI has changed slightly at a given distance, particularly the longer ranges. Apologies if that's an egg sucking comment...:thumbsup:

Would it not be better to avoid hitting the barrel on anything, given that free floating a barrel is seen as the ideal from a harmonics and therefore accuracy point of view?

Had the same set up on a different rifle many moons a go and when I added a decent barrel band the accuracy improved many fold over distance... Thought for £8 was worth a punt... If it don't work its no great loss :thumbsup:

For a general purpose gun, ie: not confined solely to target shooting, I would do the same as you Matt, add a barrel support then re-zero it if necessary. I'm guaranteed to stumble or do something to bend the barrel that would leave me with a gun that shoots around corners.....:lol:

many moons ago i had a rifle called an AT44
AT44.gif

as you can see the rifle came with 2 barrel bands fitted and in truth was very poor accuracy wise ... so i moved 1 of the bands closer to the end of the barrel and it transformed the rifle ,, it was then pellet on pellet at 40 yrds , i then went to a local machine shop and had a barrel band made out of aluminium which was machined to fit the barrel and the air tube (very snug) wasnt cheap to get made but made the rifle a very capable bit of kit and a joy to use :) incidentally i sold the hatsan when i got out of shooting 10 ish years ago

wind the clock on 10 yrs :rofl: and you can now get barrel bands for any rifle 3d printed for a cost of £8 :thumbsup: worth a punt

Reactions: Bam
Yep, I understand that. I once used a 7.62 refurbished Lee Enfield ( L42A1) as an operational weapon which went from being laser accurate to all over the place when I fitted a different bipod....After a lot of rounds down range, fiddling about with 'scope rings etc: it all came down to tension of the fitting on the bipod...
Once I'd sorted that out it was good night Vienna at 600+ metres guaranteed no problem.
freeman014.jpg

freeman013.jpg

We were the sunshine boys having a bronzey day on the range topping up our tans.... Luckily I'm out of camera shot in me loin cloth....:lol:...:lol:

So ive been bitten by the bug again :rofl: .. ive decided to trade the webley raider against another new rifle as the webley is a tad heavy for days wandering around the golf course :rolleyes: been offered £300 on the trade against an airarms s200 mk3 ... so guess where im going next saturday :) ive decided to get the multi shot adapter to go along side the new rifle along with a decent silencer ..... hhhhhmmmmm new rifle :rofl:

So ive been bitten by the bug again :rofl: .. ive decided to trade the webley raider against another new rifle as the webley is a tad heavy for days wandering around the golf course :rolleyes: been offered £300 on the trade against an airarms s200 mk3 ... so guess where im going next saturday :) ive decided to get the multi shot adapter to go along side the new rifle along with a decent silencer ..... hhhhhmmmmm new rifle :rofl:
I was sort of expecting something like that to happen. S200 is a good gun.

Back