• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Rifle.......

lol

Extremely Addicted
Having had, and been very fond of, a Weihrauch HW97 underlever; I have for hunting purposes long realised the shortcoming of a "springer", that being, having stalked your prey, you then have to quietly and discretely cock the rifle for loading....mmmmm. And it's phenomenally heavy to carry round fields.......... But a beautiful rifle none the less Mine was .22.

I had often thought, I ought really to use a pcp, and liked the HW 100, but couldn't really justify the cost....
But today, with zero notice (I couldn't even finish my mug of hot choc. or put socks on!!) my friend hassled me to move instantly for a run down to the Air Gun Centre down in Essex, an hour away.......(I bought my HW 97 from them....)

I went.
I saw.
I part ex'd my beautiful, mint, 97 for a 100, walnut sporter stock, long or standard (not carbine) length. ....................... 🤬

Also convinced/cajoled/advised/instructed to go .177 ??????????????

To the range tomorrow.....never been to a range before!! :whistle: :) :) :)

@lol

Hope you enjoy your new rifle lol.
What scope have you dressed her with?
Have a fun and productive day on the range.......if you get chance..... post up a couple of pictures at the range :thumbsup:

I transferred the Eclipse? from my HW97 before I part ex'd it.
It's eye wateringly expensive, I genuinely worry that I can't justify it, and shouldn't have done it: anyway, I put a Deben bipod on it (more expense..) and wonder whether I should have put a sling on instead (you can't have both, you have to take the bipod off....)
Also I wonder if I've been steamrollered into going .177? I get all the science of lighter faster flatter trajectory, and therefore greater range....but did I need that? 30 x is ample, and the .22 gives a greater trauma on impact and therefore a higher likelihood of an instant kill on a head shot. (there shouldn't be any other......)
But I've done it now....177 and to the range, if I'm allowed hopefully, later............ 🤔

A piccy to be getting on with, my beloved (ex beloved?) HW 97

Attachments

• P1020359 (2).JPG
    P1020359 (2).JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 124
There are a couple of schools of thought comparing 177 or 22, they both have their good points. I'm sure that you will be impressed. I must admit to being pretty jealous.

I transferred the Eclipse? from my HW97 before I part ex'd it.
It's eye wateringly expensive, I genuinely worry that I can't justify it, and shouldn't have done it: anyway, I put a Deben bipod on it (more expense..) and wonder whether I should have put a sling on instead (you can't have both, you have to take the bipod off....)
Also I wonder if I've been steamrollered into going .177? I get all the science of lighter faster flatter trajectory, and therefore greater range....but did I need that? 30 x is ample, and the .22 gives a greater trauma on impact and therefore a higher likelihood of an instant kill on a head shot. (there shouldn't be any other......)
But I've done it now....177 and to the range, if I'm allowed hopefully, later............ 🤔

A piccy to be getting on with, my beloved (ex beloved?) HW 97
Are you sure you can’t have a sling as well as the bipod? On my Deben there’s QD attachment point built in to the underside :)

Reactions: lol
Oh, I'll have a look....but I'll also have to drill into the stock....which is a bit barbaric to do on a new rifle at any cost!

Reactions: Bam
Oh, I'll have a look....but I'll also have to drill into the stock....which is a bit barbaric to do on a new rifle at any cost!

Always worth removing the action from the stock before any drilling takes place Lol.......saves any mishaps :thumbsup:

Range usage will, I been told this morning, have to wait a week.......bureaucracy.
Will try and set up in the back garden later this afternoon???

I didn’t remove the action on my AA410 but I did measure about twenty times then drilled about ten with progressively larger bits, all marked with tape to get the correct depth.

Range usage will, I been told this morning, have to wait a week.......bureaucracy.
Will try and set up in the back garden later this afternoon???
....However, have set up in a neighbours garden,,,a good 50 metres with a backstop, and zero'd in at 30metres, then joined by a friend with his H100s Carbine, and his boys with their BSA R10s

Over the springer HW97, this is a hair trigger (can be adjusted) with as per PCPs, no recoil......just too easy on targets at zero'd range!! We were shooting flies at 30 metres..............we think? lol!!!
A bit of an eye opener.......and the penetration a .177 pellet can have: a bit different to my BSA Meteor of 55 years ago!!
(Photos to follow, as instructed...)

Here we are:
Front....and right to left..........
1/BSA R10
2 Weihrauch H100s carbine
3/Weihrauch H100s standard (my new rifle!!)
4/BSA R10 Plastic?

Attachments

• H1100 s and BSA R10 s 1.jpg
    H1100 s and BSA R10 s 1.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 128
  • H100's and BSA R10s 2.jpg
    H100's and BSA R10s 2.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 129
  • H100s and BSA R10s 3.jpg
    H100s and BSA R10s 3.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 119
Bit of an advantage having a beautifully designed ambidextrous stock and no real recoil. It looks like you are going to enjoy owning that gun. :thumbsup:
And then some!!
(But I will miss my springer 97!)
Interestingly, I have one of those metal spin targets with the 10 p base weight? At 30metres with the springer, I would get 1, 2 or maybe 3 out 3 on it, but not often 3. On the pcp, a full magazine of 14......phut ping, phut ping phut ping........
Just need to try it on some pigeon this week??

Nice line up of rifles there Lol :) and a tidy range by the looks of things.

Good luck getting your Pigeon :thumbsup:

Back