• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

new rifle

Only ever owned one .177 rifle (S200) and I zeroed that at 35yds which seemed to work well.:thumbsup:
For now, until you are able to Chrono the rifle................ 25 to 35 is a good starting point mate.

When you are able to Crono the rifle and work out an accurate average FTLB you can start to narrow things down a bit more with Chairgun.

Having Avg ftld+ pellet type and weight + reticle choice + Magnification you would prefer........feed all of that into Chairgun and you can play with the variables to find a good overall set up after looking at what Chairgun suggests.......and tweak from there by using the preselected tools.
Near perfect results can be achieved if you have the ability to alter the rifles power output with very small adjustments mostly.

Chairgun works best with generic Hawke scope reticles mostly.

I don't tend to use Chairgun these days....though I do Chrono the rifles to check the output.

With a brand new rifle, the first thing I do is clean the barrel to get rid of grease used to store the rifles after production.....check all the stock screws etc.
Take the woodwork off and clean/oil grease....then reapply.....OCD or what:rolleyes::D
Set the trigger weight and blade angle if possible.
Carefully make sure my scope mounting and eye relief are on the money..........no cant of the scope (use level and string)............ and repeatable head position/eye relief.
I lay prone behind the rifle.....with both eyes closed.....then shoulder the rifle........feel for a comfortable head/cheek rest.....then open my eyes......If I have an edge to edge clear sight picture I'm happy.....even happier if I can repeat that process time and time again without moving head position and eye relief at all.
Make a decision whether I need or could benefit from an adjustable/thinner/or thicker butt pad for reach.

Then off to the range to try some pellets and achieve the best MPI results to find what the barrel of the rifle likes.......normally start at 10yds and then move back to my prefered zero range. ..........I only use domed pellets.
Also, the head size of a pellet can make a huge difference turning good groups into excellent ones.......as long as you do your bit.

Once I have the zero range and pellet selected I will start to move back with the distances in 5 yd increments (using a rangefinder or tape measure.....never guesswork)
Map the scope out to the maximum range I feel comfortable and confident shooting game at.......further for target work and playing.
Make a tidy and neat drawing of the scope ret and my aim points and tape it to the rifle so I always have the reference.

As far as scopes go.........I much prefer something in the 4x to 16x range (eyes are knackered now) for hunting and target work with the option of an illuminated reticle and adjustable Parallax.

All of the above waffle is how I like to do things.........not suggesting it will suit everyone though ;):thumbsup:

Good luck with the zeroing Matt hope you have a good day out there and get the results you want :thumbsup::)

Look forward to seeing how you get on mate:thumbsup:

Last edited:
@Matt

Did you see the target stand I made mate :rofl:.......works very well with the A4 targets.........gets you above the grass too:thumbsup:
Nice and stable.

DSC03158.JPG

I have kept the parasol for Kneef :rofl::whistle:

DSC03160.JPG

PATENT PENDING!!

Apologies for off-track.........but might help with the zeroing?

after yesterdays messing around i to have decided i need a 4-16 x mag scope as the 3-9 is not cutting the mustard as at 20 yrds on max mag it was hard to see the smaller targets ;)...i do have a fairly good target stand https://www.amazon.co.uk/MTM-Casegard-Jammit-Target-Stand/dp/B0016SOA88 and aslo a set of metal spinners Jack Pyke Resetting Spinner Target - Black which ive welded longer legs on to so it stands 2ft tall ideal for the long grass

had a look on chairgun last night and my zero at 19yrds give me a 1.5" kill zone out to 49 yrds (no hold over ) so i think i,ll stay with that till i get a few more pellets under my belt with the rifle :thumbsup:

so been looking at different scopes ....was looking at 4-16 x50 ...to be truthful all a bit out of my price range at the moment:eek:

then thought id just see what else was out there for not much money 6-24x50 came up next ....bit ott on the mag but will come in handy when zeroing :rolleyes:

so bit the bullet and ordered it :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: .... @1 shot willie @divebuddy its all your fault ...that what i told my miss,s anyways it should be here tomorrow :alert:

Sorry Matt I wasn't thinking right yesterday. I have a BSA Quarry King side focus 6 x 24-56. You could have tried or bought cheap. DSC_0727.JPG DSC_0728.JPG

All sounding good Matt:thumbsup:

Better to have too much mag than not enough......always there if you need it.
What reticle is on the scope mate?

I will be posting the mounts today as soon as the post office opens.:thumbsup:

So, having put a few pellets through her now.....what do you reckon?

All sounding good Matt:thumbsup:

Better to have too much mag than not enough......always there if you need it.
What reticle is on the scope mate?

I will be posting the mounts today as soon as the post office opens.:thumbsup:

So, having put a few pellets through her now.....what do you reckon?

new scope fitted :cool:...will zero after tea :rolleyes:

so far im pleased with the way the rifle handles and shoots ...even thou its getting heaver by the day :rofl:

i will post up a picky of the 20yrd zero after ive done it ;)

Good to know you are happy after your wobble with the rifle mate.

Posted your mounts this morning:thumbsup:

Best you hurry up before it starts pizzing down :rofl:

all in all im very happy with the new rifle and im sure i made the correct choice "for me" ..the rifle is far more accurate than i am so im sure overtime i,ll get some good shooting out of it and im sure many meals will be provided by it :)

looking, good mate,:thumbsup:.....that's bloody good for 10yds :p:rofl:;)

yea yea mock all you like my friend ....we shall see on the summer meet HFT comp ...

ps ...must sort a better back stop as the wood i was using has holes straight through and so does my fence :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:...good job its waist ground behind my garden

The .25 won't go through the holes in the ft targets Matt :whistle:...........and knocks fences over:p:rofl:

A couple of sand bags thick wall stacked up high enough behind your target to act as a back stop will make all the difference. This will even work for the .22lr. It's important to prevent any chance of ricochet or deflection that will allow a pellet to pass outside the bounds of your range or beyond your boundary. It's a serious matter even if it is just waste ground.

Dont go with the S200 the trigger is crap. I have a Raider in 177 i use for target shooting pellet on pellet at 25 yards.

Back