• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

new stove again

MSR used to do a fuel bottle lid with a pouring spout; don’t know if they still do. Trangia do a fuel bottle with a built in valve.

I’ve got a little brass funnel that’s probably about 60 years old!

MSR used to do a fuel bottle lid with a pouring spout; don’t know if they still do. Trangia do a fuel bottle with a built in valve.

I’ve got a little brass funnel that’s probably about 60 years old!

yea ive got one of those but its full of meths at the moment :)

You can buy Aspen 2 fuel it's alkylate petrol which burns cleaner than unleaded pump fuel and works out a bit cheaper than Coleman fuel. Husqvarna do a version as well. Alkylate fuel keeps for years unlike pump fuel.
A little Google searching revealed that alkylate petrol is commonly used in Coleman devices and is roughly half the price of Coleman fluid. I even found this video from one of the brands:

You can buy Aspen 2 fuel it's alkylate petrol which burns cleaner than unleaded pump fuel and works out a bit cheaper than Coleman fuel. Husqvarna do a version as well. Alkylate fuel keeps for years unlike pump fuel.
P.S. Aspen 2 is pre-mixed 2-stroke fuel, so you wouldn't want to use it in a Coleman. Aspen 4 is 4 stroke and from all I've read is ideal for a Coleman.

So the aspen 2 is pre mixed chainsaw fuel? Stihl also do some of their own brand. It’s a little less than twice the price of unleaded from the pump but will keep almost indefinitely and is equivalent to the super unleaded + 2/oil. each time you buy it you get a plastic fuel can that is way better than the plastic ones that you pay good money for.

I keep a can of the Stihl fuel to flush out the smaller engines when they’re getting a bit temperamental.

They do a premix for 2 strokes and a 4 stroke variants............(as Peteff says above :oopsy:, door!!)

This is another useful site for getting parts reference numbers and assembly diagrams for Coleman stoves…

…getting the right parts makes them an easy fix

Waiting for the result. Suggest testing it before you change fuels by timing the boiling of a given quantity of water. Then test is after the fuel change.
Sorry it's been a long time before testing but I got some results on the Coleman stove today. To bring half litre of tap water to a rolling boil took 2 minutes 25 seconds with Coleman fuel and 2 minutes 58 seconds with unleaded. Not sure how fresh the unleaded fuel was as it came from my 5 gallon jerrycan. Maybe three months old?
I also invested in some biofuel for the Trangia. See picture. It certainly leaves far less soot on the pot and is just as quick as meths.
IMG_20230309_164724.jpg

Following on from our discussion about alkylate petrol, I bought 5 litres. My local Stihl dealer has it for £21.60 but I have seen it as cheap as £17 (plus P&P). So about half the price of Coleman Fluid but twice the price of unleaded petrol. I jettisoned the unleaded in the Coleman, filled it with alkylate and fired it up. It fired up normally and burned as bright as ever, so it certainly works. I will not know just how much better it is than unleaded until I have been using it for a while. Using unleaded for an extended period makes the lantern/stove temperamental, and it needs regular servicing. With alkylate this is not supposed to happen as it is free from additives and other unwanted extras like benzine. Even on the first test I noticed that the 'volume control' was smoother and more accurate, so that was a plus. Alkylate doesn't smell, not like petrol anyway, and the exhaust gases are supposed to be cleaner than from unleaded. The flames that often occur when first starting the lantern (until it heats up) did not produce any black smoke but burned cleanly, more like meths. So, although I have to reserve judgement until I have been using it for a while, the first impressions are very favourable.

Does anyone have any experience of the British Army type 2 single burner stove that is built to run on petrol? I was wondering if the colman fuel would work well in them. First guess is it’ll be right but I’d want to test it from a safe distance.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience of the British Army type 2 single burner stove that is built to run on petrol? I was wondering if the colman fuel would work well in them. First guess is it’ll be right but I’d want to test it from a safe distance.
We had them as standard kit in all our armoured vehicles; we had petrol and diesel ones with presumably different jets, more like an Optimus hunter stove but bigger.

Bit Smokey on the Pam’s with diesel!

I’ve tried this one with unleaded and it’s great but I just fancied using a fuel that was less smelly.

Back