• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New stove thoughts pleased

Like that @lol :)

Easy to store/carry and put together....not to heavy and multi fuel......good cooking area.....stainless..... so easy clean.
Lot of work goes into making that by the looks of things.......so the price is not to bad at all :thumbsup:

I sold my stainless Fire Box and replaced it with the Titanium model.......If I did not have that.....I would be very tempted with the Fire Trough......nice :)

I've had a quick squint at various sites trying to find the price of a stainless Fire Box..BushCraft Store etc: all " Sold out" If that Fire Trough is about the same price, I think it's the over all winner personally. Versatility and cooking space and also being up off the ground it might keep Public Camp Site owners happier than the Fire Box..perhaps?

I know the Fire Trough is slightly 'Bulkier' but still light weight, but what finally swings it for me is it's British made, the idea of a bloke who likes the outdoors.

Being flat packed it will slip into most packs with ease same as the FireBox so not really bulky at all....British made......nice to see.

Are you hitting the button Sax?

Answer is certainly yes, Bill. I've got a Chinese type Firebox which has been pretty good but increasingly needs jumping on after each use as it tends to go wobbly out of shape with the heat.

Also I use the old issue mess tins and the Fire Trough would allow me to put a mess tin and a mug on at the same time. Love the idea of 2 meth burner capability too.

Order going in this evening, but I suspect things won't be up and running with the maker until after the New Year, but I'm not in a rush, although I can hop pretty fast already....🤣

Hope you do not have too long to wait Sax.....look forward to your thoughts when you receive it mate.
Never know.....the guy may be knocking a few out as we speak :thumbsup:

it'll be interesting to hear how you guys get on with this one.

it looks to me a lot like the UCO Flatpack Grill i bought some months ago and i have to say that i have struggled with it.
i've had it out for several test runs using scavenged wood -- some seasoned at home in my garage so well dried -- and it seems to suffer from oxygen starvation.

i believe it was mentioned that the UCO worked better with briquettes which is something i haven't tried yet.
i also recall it being said that a scattering of ventilation holes drilled in the angled side plates helped matters but i'd hoped to find something less invasive. i've tried a few things which haven't helped much so am now resigned to getting out the drill set and "celebrating the perforation" as the old Tetley Tea commercial used to say.

it'll be interesting to hear how you guys get on with this one.

it looks to me a lot like the UCO Flatpack Grill i bought some months ago and i have to say that i have struggled with it.
i've had it out for several test runs using scavenged wood -- some seasoned at home in my garage so well dried -- and it seems to suffer from oxygen starvation.

i believe it was mentioned that the UCO worked better with briquettes which is something i haven't tried yet.
i also recall it being said that a scattering of ventilation holes drilled in the angled side plates helped matters but i'd hoped to find something less invasive. i've tried a few things which haven't helped much so am now resigned to getting out the drill set and "celebrating the perforation" as the old Tetley Tea commercial used to say.

Drilled some holes in my Gelert folding BBQ @teef ......made a huge difference to the performance.....worth doing :thumbsup:

There's several videos on YT of the F/T in action....see Simon, a bloke.................

I will also be ordering one, just trying to find a couple of trangia burners of 70mm base diameter (mine are 80mm), that are also cheap enough!!

" just trying to find a couple of trangia burners of 70mm base diameter (mine are 80mm), that are also cheap enough!! "

I've just measured my Meths burners Lol, they are Highlander brand, from Military Mart I think, about £8. Base is 65 mm across and the flange at the top is 70 mm.

The hole on the fire trough is 70mm...so that is telling me the Highlanders will drop through?

No problem, I'll use a couple of tent pegs across the holes or cut a piece of wire mesh with a 65 mm hole. I've got a Gucci German made stainless steel meths burner that will fit but for some reason, heat transfer I think, it's nowhere near as good as the cheap Highlanders.

That might be a thought.......? Do you know when yours is due? My order only went in today?

He did have a few in stock before Chrissy, but normally they are made to order..............

I can only play with the stove in the back garden at the moment, Lol, and I'm a bit wary of that to be honest. It's ankle deep in slippery leaves out there at the moment, so I'm giving it a wide berth until I'm a bit more stable on my pins..😊

Back