• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New tent dry run ( Cairns 2 Deluxe Tent )

With you needing the tent for 2 adults & a dog & presumably kit for 2 adults & a few bits & bobs for the dog I am wondering if the 3 person might be a better option.

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/163079-cairns-3-deluxe-tent.html

I have no experience of this tent but it also gets good reviews & comes in a more camping friendly colour ! :)

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/162607-eurohike-avon-deluxe-3-person-tent-green.html

Hi,

Thanks for the info :) I was looking at the 3 person but was thinking that most of the time it would just be me and Luna (my dog) so the 2 would be ample and then sometimes my sister would camp with us. I have the car so could store whatever in there. Btw do you guys ever just wild camp? I know it’s illegal in England but just thought I’d ask.

Haha no problem Matt. I know all to well about quickly checking and replying while at work. Ah ok, that’s great. Thanks. I’ll go with the 2 over the 3 since sometimes it’s just gonna be me and Luna (my dog). Sounds like a bargain at £40 :D

i dont think you will go far wrong with the tent .... it did me well in scotland for a week ... heres some pictures Aviemore Trip 2019 Pictures and Write ups from post number 76 👍

Hi,

Thanks for the info :) I was looking at the 3 person but was thinking that most of the time it would just be me and Luna (my dog) so the 2 would be ample and then sometimes my sister would camp with us. I have the car so could store whatever in there. Btw do you guys ever just wild camp? I know it’s illegal in England but just thought I’d ask.

lol yes we have a wild camping section on the forum ;);) Wild Camping

Do you this this mattress is a decent one? Seems like a good price :)New Eurohike Flocked Airbed Deluxe Double Camping Equipment 5054330057215 | eBay

I don't know if you plan on walking etc, you've mentioned wild camping but while I'm not quite so obsessed with the weight of stuff as some on here, it will play a part, same with bulk. You also have to think about Luna's claws, there are some relatively cheap and smaller options about, something like this.

Ultralight Inflatable Sleeping Mat Camping Air Pad Roll Bed Mattress Orange UK 600831802301 | eBay

This was just a random one as opposed to one I've tried but it will give you an idea.

I don't know if you plan on walking etc, you've mentioned wild camping but while I'm not quite so obsessed with the weight of stuff as some on here, it will play a part, same with bulk. You also have to think about Luna's claws, there are some relatively cheap and smaller options about, something like this.

Ultralight Inflatable Sleeping Mat Camping Air Pad Roll Bed Mattress Orange UK 600831802301 | eBay

This was just a random one as opposed to one I've tried but it will give you an idea.

Thank you. Not wild camping this time. Going to a quiet camp site and will have the car. Will be walking but like I said not with all the equipment :) I was wondering about Luna’s claws. Was going to cover the mattress with a throw. Do you think that would be ok? He claws are not that sharp tbh. Are those mattresses you sent the link for comfortable?

Thank you. Not wild camping this time. Going to a quiet camp site and will have the car. Will be walking but like I said not with all the equipment :) I was wondering about Luna’s claws. Was going to cover the mattress with a throw. Do you think that would be ok? He claws are not that sharp tbh. Are those mattresses you sent the link for comfortable?

I find them alright, I'm 6 foot and 'sturdily built' :rolleyes: and no issues. About 12 good breaths to blow them up and they fold down small. If at some point you do think you'll be walking in with your stuff then its maybe an option to buy once and save cash but make your own mind up on that. As for claws, I sometimes take one of my dugs away and I'm a bit paranoid about it, I ALWAYS put the mat in my bivvy bag if I'm sleeping with the dog in a shelter, just in case, although I tend to be out in all weathers, if you're at a site its not the end of the world if your mattress goes down overnight and you wake up a wee bit cold in the morning. There are also the 'old skool' rolls like this if you're worried, I've cut down one to put under my dug's sleeping mat to give him a bit more protection from the cold.

British Army Issue Roll Mat NEW Lightweight Sleeping Mat Waterproof Foam Camping | eBay

I find them alright, I'm 6 foot and 'sturdily built' :rolleyes: and no issues. About 12 good breaths to blow them up and they fold down small. If at some point you do think you'll be walking in with your stuff then its maybe an option to buy once and save cash but make your own mind up on that. As for claws, I sometimes take one of my dugs away and I'm a bit paranoid about it, I ALWAYS put the mat in my bivvy bag if I'm sleeping with the dog in a shelter, just in case, although I tend to be out in all weathers, if you're at a site its not the end of the world if your mattress goes down overnight and you wake up a wee bit cold in the morning. There are also the 'old skool' rolls like this if you're worried, I've cut down one to put under my dug's sleeping mat to give him a bit more protection from the cold.

British Army Issue Roll Mat NEW Lightweight Sleeping Mat Waterproof Foam Camping | eBay

That’s great info, thanks :D although Luna is a husky so I doubt she will be bothered about the cold haha 😂 They can withstand -50 degrees. She will make a great hot water bottle though since she currently sleeps in our bed lol. Yeah, o will eventually do wild camping and walking with gear so that would definitely come in handy. Thanks :)

That’s great info, thanks :D although Luna is a husky so I doubt she will be bothered about the cold haha 😂 They can withstand -50 degrees. She will make a great hot water bottle though since she currently sleeps in our bed lol. Yeah, o will eventually do wild camping and walking with gear so that would definitely come in handy. Thanks :)

Mine is a Flat Coat so doesn't bother about the cold either and I don't really bother about the 'top' of the dog. The mat is more for comfort and to make him feel more at home, the roll weighs next to nothing and gives a bit of waterproofing to the underside as I only take him when I'm tarping (or using the lavvu) as my tent is too wee for the both of us (and rarely used). If you are looking at working up to the walking with gear its worth looking at buying stuff that works for that as well as camping, it will save money in the long run.

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but have you got a 'corkscrew' for Luna when you're on sites ???

Mine is a Flat Coat so doesn't bother about the cold either and I don't really bother about the 'top' of the dog. The mat is more for comfort and to make him feel more at home, the roll weighs next to nothing and gives a bit of waterproofing to the underside as I only take him when I'm tarping (or using the lavvu) as my tent is too wee for the both of us (and rarely used). If you are looking at working up to the walking with gear its worth looking at buying stuff that works for that as well as camping, it will save money in the long run.

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but have you got a 'corkscrew' for Luna when you're on sites ???

Haha not at all. I need all the help and advice you can give :) I’ve never been camping before so feel free to suggest things I need. What is a corkscrew? Is it something to tether her to? Thanks :)

Haha not at all. I need all the help and advice you can give :) I’ve never been camping before so feel free to suggest things I need. What is a corkscrew? Is it something to tether her to? Thanks :)

Aye, a lot of 'dog friendly' campsites require you to have your dog on a lead at all times.

PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

It might be worth trying Luna in the tent in the back garden before you go, how old is she ???? We took our 2 away when they were about a year old and they were hard work, admittedly they feed off each other and if you've only got the one she might be better behaved. You don't want to have a beamer for your 'wild dug' if she's not used to kipping out in the tent.

Aye, a lot of 'dog friendly' campsites require you to have your dog on a lead at all times.

PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

It might be worth trying Luna in the tent in the back garden before you go, how old is she ???? We took our 2 away when they were about a year old and they were hard work, admittedly they feed off each other and if you've only got the one she might be better behaved. You don't want to have a beamer for your 'wild dug' if she's not used to kipping out in the tent.

Haha 😂 I see where you’re coming from lol. Yeah will test it out in the back garden. Luna is 7 months. Will be nearly 8 months when I go. She’s a very clingy dog with her being a pack animal so follows me wherever I go lol. Hopefully she will be ok. Will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck 😂 How do your 2 behave now?

Haha 😂 I see where you’re coming from lol. Yeah will test it out in the back garden. Luna is 7 months. Will be nearly 8 months when I go. She’s a very clingy dog with her being a pack animal so follows me wherever I go lol. Hopefully she will be ok. Will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck 😂 How do your 2 behave now?

Mine are 5 now and a bit more sedate. Luna is still a pup so you might have your hands full, good luck. My girl was a lot easier to control but if dugs can have autism then she's a prime candidate, the boy is a lot calmer although he's not a fan of other large boys, in his head, he's top boi. See how you go in the back garden getting her used to it, it will help you too having a play with your gear. I hope you have a good time with it, let us know how you go.

Back