• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Tent

Bam

Extremely Addicted
Got myself a new tent for Xmas with the February trip in my mind, as it turned out I bought one from a well known internet company only to see it for about 45 quid cheaper a couple days later. The first one went back and we got the refund so bought the same thing again and saved a whack of cash. Anyhoo..... finally got it up (fnarr fnarr) and its spot on, even the missus thought it was alright although maybe a squeeze for both of us and 2 large dugs but workable. Its a Coleman Kobuk Valley 3 although I've seen very similar Coleman tents with different names. Looks spot on for my needs, had a play and know what goes where if you excuse the expression.

IMG_20200119_125251.jpg

IMG_20200119_125304.jpg

The front lawn is at a bit of an angle so it wasn't quite 'true' but a quick set up it was fine. Cannae wait to use it in anger now, roll on Galloway....

Nice. It looks spot on. The only beef I have with the pavilion is that it's not very dark inside. I do like the 'no see um' feature of Coleman tents. I looked at a Coleman tent when I was tent hunting, but they came up too heavy and too low. :D Look forward to seeing it in action sometime.

Dundee Utd ? :D;)

Back on track. That's a useful porch at the front ! :thumbsup:

Yes and yes. :p

Aye, its got a decent lip on it that should keep stuff dry in the entrance area.

Nice. It looks spot on. The only beef I have with the pavilion is that it's not very dark inside. I do like the 'no see um' feature of Coleman tents. I looked at a Coleman tent when I was tent hunting, but they came up too heavy and too low. :D Look forward to seeing it in action sometime.

To be honest I had the missus in mind when I saw the Coleman dark room stuff, I can sleep anywhere but she's a bit 'Princess and the pea' at the best of times and for her a tent isn't up there with the best of times. :lol: As for headroom, its fine for sitting up in but its nowhere near the headroom of yours. It weighs 5kg so not uber lightweight but I'll not be using it for going up hills so I can live with that. We'll need to play a game of 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours'. :lol:

It looks quite tall Matt, can you sort of half stand to pull your breeks on ? There's a lot to be said for that when you reach a certain age. Or so I heard.... :rolleyes:
It looks quite sturdy and if I read right weighs about 8kg. Is it single skinned ?

I'll see if Smurf is wanting to use the lavvu, the plan is to have our set ups close enough to rig a tarp or two as an admin area between us but if not then the tarps give us a bit of room for manoeuvre if there's no room at the inn.

It looks quite tall Matt, can you sort of half stand to pull your breeks on ? There's a lot to be said for that when you reach a certain age. Or so I heard.... :rolleyes:
It looks quite sturdy and if I read right weighs about 8kg. Is it single skinned ?

yes can sort of stand up enough to get dressed with out to much hassle :thumbsup: :rofl:

yes its single skinned but very canvasey (not a real word but you know what i mean ) feel to it :thumbsup:

yes can sort of stand up enough to get dressed with out to much hassle :thumbsup: :rofl:

yes its single skinned but very canvasey (not a real word but you know what i mean ) feel to it :thumbsup:

I do like that sort of 'canvassey' tent although they do tend to weigh a bit I like that enclosed feeling. The sort of standing up is a bonus, my lavvu is too wee for that but still good fun and the dug seems a lot more relaxed in it. It'll be good to see what everyone else is 'rocking'.

slumit gobi 3 ..... or somit els lol. Not took the plunge yet mate

They do look smart mate, have fun choosing.

A lavvu, but a bit bigger? Robens Fairbanks...suits you sir! ;)
(tenacity reqd. to find one at a sensible price........)

A lavvu, but a bit bigger? Robens Fairbanks...suits you sir! ;)
(tenacity reqd. to find one at a sensible price........)

I'm on a self imposed ban from buying pretty much anything for the foreseeable, proper paupers at the moment. :crying:

• Sad
Reactions: lol
I'm going to do a tent thinning this year....honest guv...…….but the Fairbanks won't be in it...…...unless of course it may become an option for you, in which case I may break my own arm, as it doesn't get used that much?????

Reactions: Bam
I'm going to do a tent thinning this year....honest guv...…….but the Fairbanks won't be in it...…...unless of course it may become an option for you, in which case I may break my own arm, as it doesn't get used that much?????

If you have the space mate, keep all your gear, I hate parting with any of mine.

I've got a Coleman, Bam. Really excellent tent it is too, well made, although it is an older model.These photos were from 2005 and it's still weatherproof. I give the seams and zip a squirt of Fabsil occasionally and it's taken a few batterings without drama. I tend to use it when Motorcycle camping on commercial campsites. 15 years old and still going strong. ( The tent, not me....:lol: )

002.jpg

008.jpg

I should add, those fecking tangerine guy lines will be getting changed, not for stealth or anything, its a football thing. :lol:

One of my tasks for today (apart from watching football and having a few vitamin T's) is to sort out the guy lines, I've got a length of green paracord to swap them out.

Sax, I've got an old Vango Beaufort II that I maybe bought in '83, its still going strong. If you look after them you can get a lot of mileage out of tents.

Back