• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Tent

Ah that does beat me....yes, 2 lavvus but the Good Companions (2 in use) late 60s to early 70s......

Reactions: Bam
New old tent......
Against better and good advice...……..I recently bought (Dec. before I went away, and yet to use) after months of faff, a Dutch Army surplus 1 man tent, but found one with flaps over the zips, so hopefully, with a fabsil which I've done, it'll be useable and rainproof? Like the excellent lavvu, a little bulky and heavy packed, but I do love cotton/polycotton...….and cheap! :rofl:

New old tent......
Against better and good advice...……..I recently bought (Dec. before I went away, and yet to use) after months of faff, a Dutch Army surplus 1 man tent, but found one with flaps over the zips, so hopefully, with a fabsil which I've done, it'll be useable and rainproof? Like the excellent lavvu, a little bulky and heavy packed, but I do love cotton/polycotton...….and cheap! :rofl:

I really like the lavvu and my dug seems to prefer it, he proper settles in it, probably because its enclosed and darkened. When I take my big bag (which I normally do now) I have to hang it in its rain cover in a tree as there's not enough room. I suppose I could leave the dug behind but he hates that. :lol:

I've not tried the Dutch or French ones, so many tents....

More floor space in the lavvu, but the dutch one is longer with more head/foot clearance? I'm 6'4"...…...
The lavvu will take whatever the elements throw at it and shrug it all off
French p/cotton, more lightweight, but work really well. Shorter but wider than the Dutch, less headroom: lighter and more compact...…...….

Hmm as you say, too much choice...….. either way, it'll be wrong!! :lol:

When I was sorting kit out before moving from Sussex, amid all the various boxes and containers I found my old Saunders Backpacker Mark 2 tent from the very early 1970's. It looked ok, no mold or rot' so I put it up one sunny day to let it air. I don't know if anyone remembers but Saunders had a kind of reflective finish on the inside of the inner tent. The fly was just the usual nylon.
Everything looked fine until about 2 hours later I unzipped the inner to find that the ground sheet was covered in silver flakes! 80% of the silver finish had flaked off when the old tent flexed in the breeze. The inner was obviously feeling the effects of 45+ years, so I binned it, but I've kept the fly with the Saunders Backpacker Mark 2 label on it. Think I might rig it over one of my newer tents just for a laugh. On some campsite there'll probably be old wrinklies like me all gathered around pointing at the tent and saying "I had one of them"....:lol:

Do I need it? No.
Was I advised against it? Yes
Did I ignore the above? er, yes.:oopsy:

Anyway :confused:, tart that I am, I found one with flaps over the zips (Dave at MM found it for me)....sprayed with Fabsil and it's up the garden as heavy rain forecast for tonight :whistle:

Attachments

• Dutch Army tent side 1 (2).jpg
    Dutch Army tent side 1 (2).jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Dutch Army tent covered zip (3).jpg
    Dutch Army tent covered zip (3).jpg
    235 KB · Views: 264
Hi lol.

Good to hear the tent is working out for you.
The recent weather was certainly a good test for it.
Will this become the new canoe tent?

Er……..one of a few, depending on circumstances. Current one man tents, all cotton or polycotton:
2 lavvus
1 Dutch
1 French
GC Standard/ext fly...a 2 man tent but lovely solo for more than one night

The trouble is, I'm not getting out enough (!!!) and using them enough...…..
Apart from one heavy squall last night, not as much rain as promised, so am going to leave it up today and tonight as well?

Anyone in east counties want company for the odd canoe or walk overnighter? I have my own soap!!!

"Anyone in east counties want company for the odd canoe or walk overnighter? I have my own soap!!!" :eek::D

I hear what you are saying re getting out and using the stuff.....I am exactly the same mate :rofl:......but then.....I would rather go when I feel like it.... rather than feel I HAD to go;)
Hope the continuing tests go well for you mate :)

Keep them flaps closed :whistle:🤭:rofl:

Er……..one of a few, depending on circumstances. Current one man tents, all cotton or polycotton:
2 lavvus
1 Dutch
1 French
GC Standard/ext fly...a 2 man tent but lovely solo for more than one night

The trouble is, I'm not getting out enough (!!!) and using them enough...…..
Apart from one heavy squall last night, not as much rain as promised, so am going to leave it up today and tonight as well?

Anyone in east counties want company for the odd canoe or walk overnighter? I have my own soap!!!

Good luck finding a wing man or three, while I enjoy a solo camp I prefer to do it in company, I know others are the other way round. If you're up in sunny Scotland, give us a shout mate.

Back