• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

new tent......

Love my vango banshee 200 plus.....but my new one is hard to beat....vango knoydart 200....
20211106_075626.jpg

As instructed....again!!

The Starav200

Although advertised as a 2 man tent, as is so often the case, this is a 1 man backpacking tent; albeit a roomy one! I You could conceivably have 2 adults or better still, one and a child/dog in there?

It is available much more cheaply than the given list price.

It is a synthetic material tunnel type tent, but with entry on one side and a significant storage area on that side. Much has been made in some places that the material of the fly (and inner?) is made from recycled materials, and as a consequence it does not look like a ripstop material. Vango say nothing about this.

Unlike a lot of smaller backpacking tents, well the Banshee and Nevis from Vango amongst others, the design of this tent keeps the inner tent away from your face and the tent has adequate length for taller people. Plenty for me a 6'4'. I can also sit up, just, in it.

The design also, uniquely, provides for two larger mesh ventilation panels at the foot and head end, and a cover panel for each that can allow the ends to be opened right up or closed right up. Apart from providing excellent through tent ventilation, small children and dogs can access/egress through these if they don't want to use the main entrance!

Sadly, the inner tent door on the side does not include a mesh panel.

It is easily set up with 3 poles and can be set in one. Setting up takes no more than a few (5?) minutes. Like all hiking tents from Vango, it is well made, with all seams taped, and all the stitching was excellent and reinforced where needed. It is very stable with minimal flapping in the wind and sets very neatly, unlike some?

Eminently back packable (2.5 kg), plenty of room and storage, certainly for 1, and well made, I'm very pleased with it, after researching many other small tent options in a similar vein. It would be very good for impromptu stealth camping and very capable up on the moors and hills.

It comes packed in Vango’s excellent wide mouthed stuff bag, and a small repair kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20220505_124823.jpg
    IMG_20220505_124823.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20220505_125111.jpg
    IMG_20220505_125111.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220505_124904.jpg
    IMG_20220505_124904.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20220505_124939.jpg
    IMG_20220505_124939.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20220505_125208.jpg
    IMG_20220505_125208.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 95
Cracking write up and pictures Lol :thumbsup:

Hope you get on with...... and enjoy the new tent on your wanders.
Especially like the bright and cheerful living space.......nothing worse that being in a dowdy/dull atmosphere if you are tent bound during foul weather....bonus :thumbsup:
Look forward to more when you get out.........very nice :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing Lol 👍.....and good on you for getting out for a paddle and camp🙂

Now that you have christened the tent.....are you still as happy with it?.......is it a keeper?

Thanks for sharing Lol 👍.....and good on you for getting out for a paddle and camp🙂

Now that you have christened the tent.....are you still as happy with it?.......is it a keeper?
It was earlier in the summer, but yes, it fits in well for lightweight (the tech guys will laugh at that!) backpacking, wild camping with a bit more room, it'll work well out on hills too. It seems to be a bit under many radars?

Back