• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New with a few questions?

Rich123

Slightly Talkative
My main one really is wild camping and the law. In Lincolnshire where I live you would be hard pressed to find any wilderness. But I would like to just go for a walk and then camp rough for the night. Make a little fire collect some fallen wood, sleep under the stars, simple really. But, where do other people go if like me that enjoy this type of camping. If I find a wood, are you allowed to go quietly and do as I mention above, what's the worst could happen? I'm not a law breaker by the way!

Thanks all, got loads more questions for future times.

Rich.

Wild camping is illegal in UK .
Tolerated in Some of the national park areas, see guidance on their relevant websites.
In U.K. you should have land owners permission ( if you can locate to ask !)

When I wild camp and if I’m unable to obtain permission I arrive late , leave early , keep a low profile , don’t deface trees, safe use of fire ( if appropriate) don’t stay in one location more than one night , take out what you took in , be polite if challenged .

Those are my general rules but I’m sure others will be along with more shortly .

A further good idea is to pick an area where you are unlikely to meet the land owner !

My main one really is wild camping and the law. In Lincolnshire where I live you would be hard pressed to find any wilderness. But I would like to just go for a walk and then camp rough for the night. Make a little fire collect some fallen wood, sleep under the stars, simple really. But, where do other people go if like me that enjoy this type of camping. If I find a wood, are you allowed to go quietly and do as I mention above, what's the worst could happen? I'm not a law breaker by the way!

Thanks all, got loads more questions for future times.

Rich.
welcome to the family Rich, ref wild camping it better if you have a permission just to make sure you stay on the side of the law

Hi Rich :)

A warm welcome to the forum mate.

Most of us blag it to be honest and some have their own woods or permission to Wild Camp.
Attitude goes a long way and sensible consideration to the woods/land you camp on will go a long way.
Try to have a reasonable/managed and contained fire and not build fires on the ground.....leave no trace of your being there.
There are a few organised campsites around that allow fires.......some provide the firepits and you can buy the logs from the owners.
A few are situated in woods.

If you did take a chance and went stealth......anyone stumbling across you would have a more sympathetic attitude towards you perhaps seeing that you have made every effort to respect and be safe on the land.

It can be worth approaching woodland management companies in your area.....have a chat....E-mail and explain that you would offer work mending fences clearing a bit of rubbish and being a watchful eye for the privilege of using the land..........you never know.👍
Also, include the points made above.

Hope something materialises for you. ........Good Luck!! :)

Hi Rich :)

A warm welcome to the forum mate.

Most of us blag it to be honest and some have their own woods or permission to Wild Camp.
Attitude goes a long way and sensible consideration to the woods/land you camp on will go a long way.
Try to have a reasonable/managed and contained fire and not build fires on the ground.....leave no trace of your being there.
There are a few organised campsites around that allow fires.......some provide the firepits and you can buy the logs from the owners.
A few are situated in woods.

If you did take a chance and went stealth......anyone stumbling across you would have a more sympathetic attitude towards you perhaps seeing that you have made every effort to respect and be safe on the land.

It can be worth approaching woodland management companies in your area.....have a chat....E-mail and explain that you would offer work mending fences clearing a bit of rubbish and being a watchful eye for the privilege of using the land..........you never know.👍
Also, include the points made above.

Hope something materialises for you. ........Good Luck!! :)
Good info Bill

Welcome to the forum friend :)

I don’t have much in the way to add to what has already been said :Dother than it’s sound advice and pretty much the way we all do things. Just remember it’s not really about you being there it’s more about what you do when your are there ! Am in Scotland so I do have a little more leeway than yous chaps down there. Good luck in your search 👍

There are often unused, unregarded boundary areas where ownership is a bit uncertain, your problems will be access to water and that a fire draws unwelcome attention. As a landowner myself I would say that it is better to make yourself known and ask permission rather than taking any liberties. If asked, I'm usually hospitable but it's possible to wear out your welcome pretty fast if I see rubbish or damage. It's all about respecting the land and the rights of the landowner

Welcome to the Forum, mate!

We will answer all your question with pleasure.

I am a German living in Germany, currently camping in Germany and France, but I visited a lot of other countries.

I don't know the British law, but I know the European land owners and how they react.

If I see a farmer in the evening when I am hiking, I simply ask him for permission to sleep for a night on his ground. Of course he has nothing against. Why should be?

If I don't see anybody in the evening, I look for a place where it's impossible to disturb anybody. I simply look for unused land.

Usually in the corners of the fields I can find enough place to stay. I avoid ways, that the farmer doesn't drive over me in the morning time or has to drive around me. I avoid to leave fire wood visible laying around, because that would destroy his machines and that's his main Pribkem with wild campers. I avoid the neighbourhood of farmers animals, because he will cone and look after them and I could disturb them, and around them are a lot of insects.

And I hide myself in my corner so that only the farmer himself could find me. Nobody will call him to tell bullshit.

Usually nobody discovers me, because I choose the place one hour before sunset and take out my sleeping bag when it becomes dark. And I leave the place immediately after I woke up.
Usually I take my breakfast at a nice place some kilometres away.

So long I am sleeping, I am invisible in the gras from a distance of 10 metres.

If the farmer comes along exactly where I am sleeping, he usually doesn't disturb me.

If I am awake in this morning, I stand up, say good morning, explain, that I am a hiker and that I come from Berlin and yesterday I came from little Staitionvillage and wilk home today via small Tourtown to the famous Silverlake. I ask him to forgive me, that I couldn't ask him yesterday evening, and free he did it, I thank him very much, wish a nice day and start in front of his eyes to pack in my stuff and I leave the place without breakfast so long he is there.

And that's all. It's only a question of civilised behaviour!

Would he be in a bad mood, and tell me to leave his ground I would say 6 times Sorry and leave the place. But that never happend to me

Welcome to the Forum, mate!

We will answer all your question with pleasure.

I am a German living in Germany, currently camping in Germany and France, but I visited a lot of other countries.

I don't know the British law, but I know the European land owners and how they react.

If I see a farmer in the evening when I am hiking, I simply ask him for permission to sleep for a night on his ground. Of course he has nothing against. Why should be?

If I don't see anybody in the evening, I look for a place where it's impossible to disturb anybody. I simply look for unused land.

Usually in the corners of the fields I can find enough place to stay. I avoid ways, that the farmer doesn't drive over me in the morning time or has to drive around me. I avoid to leave fire wood visible laying around, because that would destroy his machines and that's his main Pribkem with wild campers. I avoid the neighbourhood of farmers animals, because he will cone and look after them and I could disturb them, and around them are a lot of insects.

And I hide myself in my corner so that only the farmer himself could find me. Nobody will call him to tell bullshit.

Usually nobody discovers me, because I choose the place one hour before sunset and take out my sleeping bag when it becomes dark. And I leave the place immediately after I woke up.
Usually I take my breakfast at a nice place some kilometres away.

So long I am sleeping, I am invisible in the gras from a distance of 10 metres.

If the farmer comes along exactly where I am sleeping, he usually doesn't disturb me.

If I am awake in this morning, I stand up, say good morning, explain, that I am a hiker and that I come from Berlin and yesterday I came from little Staitionvillage and wilk home today via small Tourtown to the famous Silverlake. I ask him to forgive me, that I couldn't ask him yesterday evening, and free he did it, I thank him very much, wish a nice day and start in front of his eyes to pack in my stuff and I leave the place without breakfast so long he is there.

And that's all. It's only a question of civilised behaviour!

Would he be in a bad mood, and tell me to leave his ground I would say 6 times Sorry and leave the place. But that never happend to me

Eloquently said ......

I recommend to use nature colours for all your clothing and equipment, so that you look like somebody who avoids to disturb any think or anybody. I recommend to avoid camouflage uniforms so that you do not look like an Idiot.
I recommend to use a small ruck sack, so that you will look as if you would be on a day hike like every body else. Today it's no problem to get a 3 seasons camping equipment in a 35 litres ruck sack if you choose the right stuff.

(In winter times off course your chance to get problems while you are wild camping is very low. Nearly nobody is doing this. And people will react with respect if they find you. In the winter the ruck sack may be larger of course.)

Here you can see how I am camping.
Nobody will be disturbed by me, that's for sure!

I recommend to use nature colours for all your clothing and equipment, so that you look like somebody who avoids to disturb any think or anybody. I recommend to avoid camouflage uniforms so that you do not look like an Idiot.
I recommend to use a small ruck sack, so that you will look as if you would be on a day hike like every body else. Today it's no problem to get a 3 seasons camping equipment in a 35 litres ruck sack if you choose the right stuff.

(In winter times off course your chance to get problems while you are wild camping is very low. Nearly nobody is doing this. And people will react with respect if they find you. In the winter the ruck sack may be larger of course.)

View attachment 15900View attachment 15901View attachment 15902View attachment 15903View attachment 15904View attachment 15905View attachment 15906View attachment 15907View attachment 15908View attachment 15909View attachment 15910View attachment 15911View attachment 15912

Great pictures ! :)

View attachment 15900View attachment 15901View attachment 15902View attachment 15903View attachment 15904View attachment 15905View attachment 15906View attachment 15907View attachment 15908View attachment 15909View attachment 15910View attachment 15911View attachment 15912
some great sets ups there Erbs

Really, I cannot BELIEVE the kind help. I've always been a keen naturalist and now in my late 60s cannot really walk too far, due to, well all sorts. But getting out and sleeping under the stars is rejuvenating, and seems to refresh my soul. As a boy it was something I did in addition to a spot of fishing. Now it's just the getting out into the wild. it would never be in winter, mostly high summer with my binoculars and note book. Again, made up with the support, thanks all.
Rich.

Really, I cannot BELIEVE the kind help. I've always been a keen naturalist and now in my late 60s cannot really walk too far, due to, well all sorts. But getting out and sleeping under the stars is rejuvenating, and seems to refresh my soul. As a boy it was something I did in addition to a spot of fishing. Now it's just the getting out into the wild. it would never be in winter, mostly high summer with my binoculars and note book. Again, made up with the support, thanks all.
Rich.
It's our pleasure YOUNG man I do the same with notebook but I write poetry

Together we have written here the thread
"How light is lightweight?".

(Perhaps someone else is able to set the link below here, so that you can find it easily.)

There I gave some examples how it's possible to reduce weight and volume of the packed rucksack.
I wrote there mainly to inform strong students, paying attention, that the prices do not climb to high.

If people are able to invest a bit more money, it's possible to use even lighter equipment in the summer.

Now a days it is easily possible to get a modern summer hiking equipment in a 30 litres ruck sack with a total weight of round about 4 kg. (plus water and food).

If you like, you can read that threat first, but later I can recommend you more items for such an incredible light equipment, that fits exactly to your measures and planed hikes.

There are one person tents of round about 400g on the market, one person pots of around 100g, gas stoves of 25g, sleeping bags with a weight of 600g and so on.

Experienced people who are able to pay a bit more, now a days can use incredible light equipment.

What they use in the NASA is nothing against modern hiking equipment!

If you are interested in this, I offer you to help you with things like this, I am not so bad informed about modern stuff.

But I learned with old stuff from the eighties, Wehrmacht and even older, so I can imagine, where you come from.

Back