• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New with a few questions?

Shhh, don't tell him that Joe PMSL, He'll start getting ideas 😝
I have to bow and scrape to the kilted heathen or risk being sacked

Woodland patterns can be dyed to black, because black is the darkest spot.

I guess, desert patterns can be coloured to dark brown.

I never did it, but I know people who did it and sold black coloured Flecktarn clothing.

Buy the way:
Black most times doesn't blend in vegetation. Dark brown is far better!

One point my other half raised when we talked about this subject is the rise in rural homelessness in the UK. It is becoming more common to find people camping through necessity rather than recreation.
While such a camper may cause damage or be more messy we would have to take a more socially responsible view.

I wore camo for 24 years because I had to, now lets look at two different animals, the tiger and the zebra, outlandish colours that should be spotted from miles away but both have the ability to disappear . I just wear drab greys greens and blacks and I can be unobtrusive yet approachable

Ah but the zebras camouflage isn’t really designed to blend into the surroundings but to blend into other zebras making it harder for a predator to gauge where one zebra starts and another finished or even which way they are facing and hence which way it might run.

There is plenty of non camo military surplus out there; I personally don’t wear it for leisure as like joe I wore it for work (and still do) but at a push I’d say trousers or jacket, not both together.

Camo or not......a warm smile and greeting with the offer of a handshake will normally put people at ease......so I wouldn't get too hung up about wearing it.
Many a time over several years in the woods while hunting and wearing a full suit of camo AND carrying a rifle I have had chance meetings with walkers and dog owners.......never have I had a bad reaction from any of them simply because I was wearing camo.

Body language and attitude are far more important to how people react to you.

Perception is what it’s all about 👍

Also had no problem wearing camo and meeting people. A farm I use to shoot over had line of trees down the middle with a foot path running up the middle of the trees. we had to cross this very regularly. It wasn’t public but the laird allowed dog walkers and such to use it. So we met many a folk. I made It a habit to stop and say hello and assure people my rifle was not loaded and we wasn’t shooting towards the trees. Had no problems 👍

But it’s very much each to there own. I do agree with @1 shot willie that the right attitude is paramount

Homeless people most times stay in towns.

But that is one of the reasons, why I recommend to explain a farmer who finds you immediately:
I come from the city, I spend here a week end hike, and one night on your ground, I come from this Station, will walk over that towns to this touristic attraction. Even if I do not plan to visit the famous Silverlake.

And I pay attention to shave myself every third day, and I keep my hair short. And of cours: Nice behaviour, clean equipment and a good language are important too.

But on the other side that's the point:
Wild camping was stopped because homeless people slept every where. Than they hunted tourists.
Today times have changed:
Where should sleep an English homeless gui? He sleeps on English earth in an English bush.
In France people live in the less used entrances of the churches, that places outside stay dry.
Who wants to tell them to go somewhere else? A French person in the entrance of a French church.

But with me it's the same! I am foreign in this village and tired too!
I don't have the right to transfere the farmers earth to a private camping ground with family tent, chairs and tables and to stay there. But I have the right to walk trough my country, the right to visit as as tourist the neighbour countries, and if I do not sleep in a private garden I have the right to sleep!

That's totally normal and somehow forgotten. But outside there the farmers are traditional and realistic people.

They have the right to use their own Land. But at first that's the Land of the state, the land of the tribe!

The ancestors of the homeless gui or wealthy hiker who sleeps there in the hedge perhaps defended Britain against the Spanish Armada, Napoleon Bonaparte and a possible Nazi invasion.
It is his ground too, because he is British!

Or he might be a guest from France, Sweden, the United States of America or Germany. Better a hiking guest than a paying guest in a hotel! - A farmer knows that.

By the way:
In France I have the official right to sleep for one night on national not private owned ground, if car and camping ground are a few kilometres away. I may use even a tent for it. But I have to leave in the morning. Wild camping for longer times isn't alowed, on private ground I have to ask.

In germany I may not construct a tent without landowners permission and never in the forest, but I can walk and sleep where I want, if I do not walk over a fence.

And in between this the usual behaviour is every where in Europe.

Zebras wear this fashionably look, because they love it.

But the main reason isn't the predator.

The main reason are some biting flies or mosquitos, who do not see the horse in camo stripes. Exactly where this insects live we find Zebras, outside the areas their cousins don't wear stripes.

I saw it last time in TV, so I can't look it up and tell you now the illness and the insects, but it is like that.

By the way:
Avoid Zebra striped clothing if you are camping outside in Britain!
People could use you as a walking path when you are sleeping, and you would have the risk to be caught and brought to the zoo or somewhere else!

In fact there is another theory as to why zebras have stripes, it is similar to shatter camouflage as used on shipping during wartime. It has been theorised that the stripes main purpose are to confuse a predator as to the range/distance from the zebra as well as creating a confusing image as they move en mass just as 38th Foot described.

We wander back and forth but we get there in the end... As far as the original question, if you are found camping on private land without permission it is a civil matter described as trespass. There is very little chance of a landowner doing more than ask/instruct you to leave. If they chose to go down the legal route they would be forced to go to county court to obtain an eviction order, a process that takes up to three months plus another couple of months to serve the eviction notice. To do so they would have to be able to identify you and trace your home address which a landowner hasn't the legal right to do unless they can trace you through your vehicle reg number or similar.... If you are carrying something that could be described as an offensive weapon (eg. Fixed blade knife or axe) or become aggressive it could be termed aggravated trespass which is a criminal offence, police could be called and in this instance you may be arrested, charged and referred to county court. if you had some form of firearm it would be a criminal offense described as armed trespass, this is an imprisonable offence.
If you have caused any harm to property there is also the possibility of a charge of criminal damage but that is extremely difficult for a land owner to prove.

Last edited:
We wander back and forth but we get there in the end... As far as the original question, if you are found camping on private land without permission it is a civil matter described as trespass. There is very little chance of a landowner doing more than ask/instruct you to leave. If they chose to go down the legal route they would be forced to go to county court to obtain an eviction order, a process that takes up to three months plus another couple of months to serve the eviction notice. To do so they would have to be able to identify you and trace your home address which a landowner hasn't the legal right to do unless they can trace you through your vehicle reg number or similar.... If you are carrying something that could be described as an offensive weapon (eg. Fixed blade knife or axe) or become aggressive it could be termed aggravated trespass which is a criminal offence, police could be called and in this instance you may be arrested, charged and referred to county court. if you had some form of firearm it would be a criminal offense described as armed trespass, this is an imprisonable offence.
If you have caused any harm to property there is also the possibility of a charge of criminal damage but that is extremely difficult for a land owner to prove.
Some very good information there mate

@Rich123 .....

Just find a spot out of the way and camp :D if anyone approaches...then introduce yourself and if the person owns the land and request you to move on...then oblige..... everything else tends to fall into place:D

Have a look at google earth. This should show you potential spots to camp 👍

Greetings and welcome this might help

or possibly

depending whos land it is
All the open access allows for in England and Wales is access, not camping...he makes a good point about using the OS explorer maps to learn about an area though. Incidentally the explorer maps also indicate where springs rise. Very handy to learn to navigate using springs as waypoints.

Most farmers do not have bored advocates in their home office.
Usually they do not leave the tractor or even the way if they see you the first time.

Even if I had been well visible, they passed me some meters away on traktor or motor bike without stopping.

They look after cattle, not after campers.

Together we have written here the thread
"How light is lightweight?".

(Perhaps someone else is able to set the link below here, so that you can find it easily.)

There I gave some examples how it's possible to reduce weight and volume of the packed rucksack.
I wrote there mainly to inform strong students, paying attention, that the prices do not climb to high.

If people are able to invest a bit more money, it's possible to use even lighter equipment in the summer.

Now a days it is easily possible to get a modern summer hiking equipment in a 30 litres ruck sack with a total weight of round about 4 kg. (plus water and food).

If you like, you can read that threat first, but later I can recommend you more items for such an incredible light equipment, that fits exactly to your measures and planed hikes.

There are one person tents of round about 400g on the market, one person pots of around 100g, gas stoves of 25g, sleeping bags with a weight of 600g and so on.

Experienced people who are able to pay a bit more, now a days can use incredible light equipment.

What they use in the NASA is nothing against modern hiking equipment!

If you are interested in this, I offer you to help you with things like this, I am not so bad informed about modern stuff.

But I learned with old stuff from the eighties, Wehrmacht and even older, so I can imagine, where you come from.

Good man ! 👍

Back