• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Newbie loch fishing tips?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
So, the last time I was fishing was from the rocky Aberdeenshire coast or pier about 40 years ago.

I'm more frequently now near inland lochs which I believe mainly have trout and pike.

Just looking for some pointers on how to go about setting up a rod and line from the bank.
I can cast, gut and cook :)
Where I'm planning to go doesn't need a permit.

I have the following kit:
  • Sea rod - Andreu Chroff 4.5m extending
  • Fly Rod - Ron Thompson 2.7m 2 piece
  • Spinning Rod - Kingfisher Match 3.6m 3 piece
  • 4 ancient reels and a tiny one
  • Some hooks and big chunky lead weights
So, anything else I need?
  1. Considerations on where to fish on a lochside?
  2. Best times of day?
  3. Best weather?
Thanks folks

2019-09-17 19.57.13.jpg 2019-09-17 19.57.41.jpg 2019-09-17 19.58.00.jpg 2019-09-17 19.58.37.jpg 2019-09-17 19.59.44.jpg 2019-09-17 20.00.14.jpg 2019-09-17 20.01.13.jpg 2019-09-17 20.02.01.jpg 2019-09-17 20.03.10.jpg 2019-09-17 20.04.11.jpg 2019-09-17 20.05.31.jpg

Spinning rod would be your best bet Paul with the red reel. You will need 1 pack of size 16 hooks and couple of maggot feeder (in case of losses) a packet of small swivels. A tub of maggots. And that should be enough to get a days fishing in. Different places fish different mate... rules of thumb is..... overcast with a little wind and morning mid day and early evening.

Also a would google your reels as they could be worth something mate. I had two old reels and both sold for great prices.

We could probably grab a day fishing if your up for it Paul.....a know am not the most reliable of people on that front right enough lol.

Thanks Mark, It'd be good to take you up on that.

Thanks for the tip on the reels. They belonged to my dad's uncle so I expect a couple are at least 50 years old.

Some of the lead weights were made by my great uncle with lead that I got from an old farmhouse roof when I was a boy. LOL

pinched a few bits of led myself for the same reasons lol

A will throw a few dates your way soon Paul and we can sort something out. Do you have a preference which day of the week would be best for you? Or location? We could always go to loch earn ?

we won’t need to pay for the area as it will just be a day visit mate but it’s £11 for the fishing. If I can manage an overnight (not sure ) it would be £3 for the camp site and £11 for the fishing permit.

So if a shoot for a Saturday that should suit ?

Revival of this thread :) @Ark79

Noticed when I went out with Stephen last time that the eyelet at the top of the spinning rod was broken off. Still usable?
Or do I need to get this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twinkling-Stars-Fishing-Repair-Guides/dp/B01K1JWT4O/

Had a look at some wee kits on Amazon/eBay but no idea what would be suitable and don't want to splash out much on something I might not often get the use of

It can be a problem Paul, depending where the beak is or if the eyelet is cracked then the fishing line can snag or break off when casting or retrieving the line. Also putting new eyes on the rod is very satisfying mate.... a would change them buddy if it was me👍🏻

can you post a picture up, might let me see if it can be doctored 👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: Bam
Back