• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Next knife - recommendations?

Banzaibrothers

Quite Talkative
Hi All,

More advice on kit please?

I'm looking to buy my 'next' knife. I have the ubiquitous Clipper but would like to treat myself to something nicer. I'm after a general purpose knife that looks good (to me!). Here's the requirements:

Budget ~ £100 - £150
Spear Point preferred.
Stainless preferred.
Micarta (if it looks like wood!)
Length 11-12
Scandi Grind (because I know how to sharpen it).

Knives I'm considering:

TBS MK2 Boar with Turkish Walnut
Casstrom Lars Falt
Condor Bushlore (slightly too short blade, not stainless)

It will be used on canoe trips hence the micarta and stainless preference.

Any thoughts on those or knives I should consider? It seems like there are lots of knives once you get to £250 but not much around the £100 - £150 range.

Also, does anyone know of anywhere online you can buy used knives? eBay and Gumtree appear to ban them.

Any advice, as always, gratefully received.

Thanks.

Mike.

Etsy.co.uk allow knife sales to over 18's and there are some real beauties on there but you cannot legally ship a knife with a fixed blade, locking mechanism or blade over 3" (76 mm) to a private address within the UK. There is an exemption for legal carry knives to be sent through the post to a domestic address but others need to go to a business address or be collected and signed for at the post office using ID.
This is relatively new legislation and it is still being routinely ignored.

Last edited:
You will be inundated with advice on this subject Mike, so here's your starter for 10..... :D
I've dealt with this company, they will ask for proof of age, ie: photo copy of Driving Licence etc: unless you are on your local Electoral Role. I have received items from them by post on proof that I am a wrinkly...
Anyway enough waffle...You can choose handle/blade material, price, style, maker and a few other options by using the menus on their website, so easier to narrow down your requirements
They also do 'Pre-owned' knives, some at silly prices but also some good bargains.

Happy hunting..

Wow, I should not have been told about Etsy! Some nice stuff there.

These two seem particularly interesting:

Both with pros and cons. I guess I might just be a bit wary of buying from an unknown source - who knows what the quality will be? Could be amazing though 🤔

Wow, I should not have been told about Etsy! Some nice stuff there.

These two seem particularly interesting:

Both with pros and cons. I guess I might just be a bit wary of buying from an unknown source - who knows what the quality will be? Could be amazing though 🤔
If you don't like it when it arrives you are protected by mail order law and can return it for a refund. If it is faulty, sub standard or not as described (or as the photos show it) then you're entitled to a refund including the cost of postage both ways.

That's a good point Ystranc. Trouble is, I wouldn't be able to look at a knife and tell you if it's good or bad or made of what it says it is etc.

Unless they have a Rockwell testing machine most people couldn't tell what grade of steel it was either (until they come to sharpen a knife.) You're not alone in this.
I suppose in the end its about what you like and are comfortable paying out good money for. Personally I use cheap Scandi knives like the Mora clipper and Hultafors hunting knives with the crappy plastic handles...and guess what? They're perfectly ok, they're just lacking "bushcraft cool"

Last edited:
Yes, you are right again Ystranc. I guess that's why I would like one that looks nice to me - I can use my Mora (although I find it a bit small) but it doesn't look very nice.

if you're feeling handy in the shop you can pick up a good blade relatively cheap at Moonraker Knives and/or Brisa and peg on your own scales. i've dealt with both shops several times and was 100% satisfied with what i paid and what i received. otherwise i have no connection to either, just a happy customer.

Yes, you are right again Ystranc. I guess that's why I would like one that looks nice to me - I can use my Mora (although I find it a bit small) but it doesn't look very nice.

I'm another fan of the Mora although I totally get the want to have a 'cool' knife that's more yours. Good luck with the search, we'll need to see the phots too mate.

I don't suppose anyone knows what the colour of the Military Boar looks like? In some photos it's light green others a brown colour.

Hi Mike.

Have you given any thought to a small hatchet and keep your Clipper for camp admin.
The Gransfurs Wildlife Hatchet is a very versatile bit of kit and will do most things a knife can do... and more with ease.
From battening firewood.... to preparing game..... feather sticks..... shelter building......roughing out for carving..... Knocking pegs or small posts in.... Etc.

Just a thought.

Hi Mike.

Have you given any thought to a small hatchet and keep your Clipper for camp admin.
The Gransfurs Wildlife Hatchet is a very versatile bit of kit and will do most things a knife can do... and more with ease.
From battening firewood.... to preparing game..... feather sticks..... shelter building......roughing out for carving..... Knocking pegs or small posts in.... Etc.

Just a thought.

That's a good point. I do already have a suitable hatchet - I just prefer the idea of a nice knife.

if you're feeling handy in the shop you can pick up a good blade relatively cheap at Moonraker Knives and/or Brisa and peg on your own scales. i've dealt with both shops several times and was 100% satisfied with what i paid and what i received. otherwise i have no connection to either, just a happy customer.
Moonraker knives have an amazing range of products listed... I could look at their site for hours.

@Banzaibrothers

We also have a friend of the the forum who donated a knife for us to review and raffle a while back.
They also offer a discount to forum members.......good company and service.

Just another option to look at?

Reactions: Bam
@Banzaibrothers
We also have a friend of the the forum who donated a knife for us to review ...

great suggestion! there are some great options there. the Cudeman knives for instance are very reasonably priced and tbh cheap enough that the diy route i mentioned earlier becomes a lot less pragmatic a choice.

now how does one go about getting that discount for forum members you mentioned? ;)

@Banzaibrothers

We also have a friend of the the forum who donated a knife for us to review and raffle a while back.
They also offer a discount to forum members.......good company and service.

They do have a staggering array of knives at good prices. Really like the Joker Nomad but it's 5mm wide.

As Teef said, how do you get the forum discount? Just mention it?

Back