• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Night vision

hardly91

Slightly Talkative
I'm looking at buying some night vision gear. (Thermal or IR) and was wondering if anybody on here has any experience with them

Night owl gen 1 binoculars are good but not cheep, A good cheap all round unit is the Hawks nv1000 it also records video on inbuilt memory I've not owned the nv1000 as yet but looking to do so.

I would look at some shooting forums and see what they say.

Gen1 stuff is bar far the cheapest but for a reason! It will generally need additional IR illumination which isn't a problem in a non tactical situation such as feeling shy at your local dogging site.

gen 2 is better and obviously more expensive.

True gen 3/3+/4 is pretty much the preserve of the military and incredibly expensive, so take any sellers gen 3 claims with a pinch of marketing salt.

Having said that the experience of the latest generation Helmet mounted NV is properly amazing so you need to ask yourself just how many kidneys you actually need!

Thermal imaging is the way to go and the price is slowly coming down.

I own a night owl gen 2 monocular also own a rank pullen night scope both work equally as well the night owl only costs 80 quid

It depends very much what you want it for. Thermal is amazing for confirming that something is there but doesn't give the full detail of what it may be, especially hand held.

A good NV especially with the help of an illuminator will let you see in green, with most of the detail present.

Although thermal is coming down it is expensive, it also eats batteries and is still relatively heavier and bulky.

I own a night owl gen 2 monocular also own a rank pullen night scope both work equally as well the night owl only costs 80 quid

Do you use the monocular with a head mount or just as hand held. I still want to giggle when using a monocular on a mount and effectively be able to walk around in the dark like seal team 6.

No its hand held mate or ya can mount it on a tripod what you need is a tactical helmet scope they are serious money french company fusil mas make one but at a grand its a bit steep only drawback with helmet scope is bright lights will blind you and break the reticules in the scope

It's outside mine as well, it's just the queen lends it to me on a regular basis with the added bonus that if it breaks I don't get the bill, unless I've been seen using it as a hammer of course...

This shows my nightvision unit on my Ultra. £250 plus attachments. Not the best but ok rail.jpg

That's a nice piece of kit mate yours got the NATO sight or cross hair mil dot mines NATO sight

It has the standard Hawke mildot. The night sight fits the standard Hawke EV fitted to the rifle. Can take it off for daylight use.

Does that kind of set up not push your head miles back on the comb, especially on something compact like an ultra?

Yes a bit, but it does allow you to take it off the gun for day shooting without having to reset the scope.

Back