• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Non FAC Air Rifle.

Big Red

Quite Addicted
Right, those Squirrels have done enough damage to my feeders at Basecamp, so war has been declared.

My shotguns are too noisy, my .243 might be deemed as overkill, my .22RF is a possibility, but I am looking at a non FAC, sub 12 FP air rifle. I would like one just under the FAC.

Thoughts and opinions please.
Cheers.

Mike.

Are you you looking at Spring or PCP Mike?
If Spring the........... HW98 is a lovely rifle......gets my vote.
PCP the ever popular BSA Ultra......small compact rifle nice to use from hide.

Last edited:
Forgot to say.....the Ultra I have is running at 11.4 ftlb (Chronoed)) and knocks them over easily at 30yds.......distance from hide to feeder......ish :)
Calibre is personal preference........I use .22

Are you you looking at Spring or PCP Mike?
If Spring the........... HW98 is a lovely rifle......gets my vote.
PCP the ever popular BSA Ultra......small compact rifle nice to use from hide.

Not made my mind up tbh, I don’t want spend toooo much money, as I am also getting a .17HMR.

Another option is something like a .410 with a single hush power barrel so there is no need to worry about shooting upward without backstops.
As long as I have a backstop my little moderated CZ .22lr is ideal for squirrels (on the ground) maybe not as flat trajectory as Bill's 17hmr but the rounds for it are pennies by comparison.

I was looking at a couple of 410s at Ladds the other week, certainly food for thought.

I need to get my variation done for the .17HMR, D&C has suspended doing them and grants due to C19, must check to see if they are back up and running. Thanks for the offer.

I would think it would be a formality as long as your circumstances haven't changed. They may ask you to separate your guns into a couple of different cabinets if you have a few of them but I don't imagine it would be a deal breaker.

I use a Hw 99 in. 177. Runs at 10.5 ft/lbs . I have taken 140 squirrels in the last 18 months. HW 95 is another good option slightly bigger and a touch more powerful.

I would think it would be a formality as long as your circumstances haven't changed.
Yes, don’t expect any issues, never had in the past. 👍

I have two cabinets, one for rifles and one for shotguns........The trouble is, I have gaps in both!

Similar here but I have more empty spaces than you. I also use them for stashing the air rifles/pistols when nephews visit (aged four and nine) They don't even get to see them yet alone use them

Right, those Squirrels have done enough damage to my feeders at Basecamp, so war has been declared.

My shotguns are too noisy, my .243 might be deemed as overkill, my .22RF is a possibility, but I am looking at a non FAC, sub 12 FP air rifle. I would like one just under the FAC.

Thoughts and opinions please.
Cheers.

Mike.
Simples....Weihrauch Hw100, with its magazine..........just mindblowing, :thumbsup:

If you’re looking at a PCP then it’s pretty hard to find a bad one tbh. I’ve played with M HW100 and it was beautiful but no more effective for me than my Air arms 410 or the BSA scorpion I tried. they’re all pretty special compared to the BSA meteor of my youth.

I was looking at a couple of 410s at Ladds the other week, certainly food for thought.

I need to get my variation done for the .17HMR, D&C has suspended doing them and grants due to C19, must check to see if they are back up and running. Thanks for the offer.
If your going 410 then surely a saiga 410 is the perfect solution.....

Only trouble with a shotgun is you get one shot, even a .410...... A pcp with a magazine, and the world is your vermin bag!

Back