• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Not a good crop this year

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Veggies not doing to good this year very hit and miss, planted the peas and only half came through so did another batch , same with the broad beans and carrots. spuds are poorly although there is a filed of them next door so may have to "borrow" a few . do have rouge spuds popping up all over the plac
P1030025.JPG
P1030026.JPG
P1030027.JPG
P1030028.JPG
P1030029.JPG
P1030030.JPG
P1030031.JPG
P1030032.JPG
P1030033.JPG
P1030034.JPG
P1030035.JPG
P1030036.JPG
P1030037.JPG
e as well

What do you think the problem has been Med?
We are just about to lift the bulk of our garlic. We lifted a few the other day as a test and they're better than last year with not so many bulbs splitting from heavy rainfall. This year I may try dehydrating some of it and storing it differently to try and spin it out. The leeks, kale, pumpkins and beans are all doing ok....root veg never does well here with our very heavy, stony, clay soil. (The house is built into the side of a hill on the site of an old clay pit)

Last edited:
Not a clue as to why , but everything just has been hit and miss, new seeds , blood n bone, horse manure been watered OK , a bit more weeding might have helped other than that i think it is mother nature giving me a double slap!

Not a clue as to why , but everything just has been hit and miss, new seeds , blood n bone, horse manure been watered OK , a bit more weeding might have helped other than that i think it is mother nature giving me a double slap!

We've had years where somethings just don't happen, last year the apple tree had two apples, the year before galloons and its starting to look like a healthy crop this year.

Did you fertilise the same way last year Med? If so I already know the answer

Your one up on me; last year my apple tree Produced a single apple!

That's because it belongs to an officer and a gentleman mate, one high class apple on a high class tree. Not like mother in laws 90 plus year old common as muck tree that produces a bumper harvest every year:lol:

Your one up on me; last year my apple tree Produced a single apple!

Ha, we thought it was only one but spotted a weally ickle and crap one as the leaves were falling, this year looks more promising though.

Well andy you ain't going to get much zider out of that there crop

We made zider a couple years back, pressed the apples, sourced some more from mates etc. Unfortunately I don't drink the filthy stuff so the vast majority is still sat in a shed I think. Not sure, maybe been ditched now. I've also sliced and dehydrated a load, they were good for adding to porridge etc although I don't eat that much porridge either (I know, I know, what kind of Jock am I ????). We tend to eat some and give a load away. I've also put some fruit trees up on some spare ground we walk the dugs although out of 2 apple and one pear tree, it looks like only one apple tree is surviving and its not looking too healthy.

We made zider a couple years back, pressed the apples, sourced some more from mates etc. Unfortunately I don't drink the filthy stuff so the vast majority is still sat in a shed I think. Not sure, maybe been ditched now. I've also sliced and dehydrated a load, they were good for adding to porridge etc although I don't eat that much porridge either (I know, I know, what kind of Jock am I ????). We tend to eat some and give a load away. I've also put some fruit trees up on some spare ground we walk the dugs although out of 2 apple and one pear tree, it looks like only one apple tree is surviving and its not looking too healthy.
For F**** sake don't waste the cider, 2 pork chops in a braising pan, salt pepper sliced onions and garlic then top up with cider, cover the pan then cook in the oven on about 170 for 2 hours. The most tender juicy pork chops you'll ever eat

Reactions: Bam
Actually yes we did, do prey do tell
Well I found with my raised beds I was getting fertiliser overkill when I dressed them every year, my beds are 8x4x18inches deep so probably slightly bigger than yours. These days every second year all they get is a single handful of fish blood and bone plus any spent compost from old pots gets dug in

The apples have been well pollinated this year, so much so that I need to thin them even though I did a really full on pruning in Jan/Feb. It should be a very good crop.
As for your garden Med, don't be too downcast...it's still very early in the growing season. It could still come good.

The apples have been well pollinated this year, so much so that I need to thin them even though I did a really full on pruning in Jan/Feb. It should be a very good crop.
As for your garden Med, don't be too downcast...it's still very early in the growing season. It could still come good.
I will second that Mike because my grass seed is a very good example, supposed to sprout in 4 to 7 days but some is sprouting after 7/8 weeks. While we are on the subject of gardening lets talk about peas and beans ( legumes ) do not rip them up when they have finished producing, just cut them off at ground level and leave the roots in the ground. The roots of legumes are covered in nodules and these contain nitrogen, as they break down during the winter they will slowly release the nitrogen into the soil

I will second that Mike because my grass seed is a very good example, supposed to sprout in 4 to 7 days but some is sprouting after 7/8 weeks. While we are on the subject of gardening lets talk about peas and beans ( legumes ) do not rip them up when they have finished producing, just cut them off at ground level and leave the roots in the ground. The roots of legumes are covered in nodules and these contain nitrogen, as they break down during the winter they will slowly release the nitrogen into the soil
We let ours wither once the beans are picked but then again we have the advantage of plenty of space...even if our soil is crap.

Back