• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

November Friday Solo Overnighter

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
So @Stephen and I were going to go to Loch Bradan again for an overnighter on Friday but he's had to duck out due to work commitments.
I've chosen an alternative place to go which has mobile reception (according to the coverage checker) so that I can let me better half know that I'm alive and well. (or call for help if I'm not LOL) Er, 'not well' that is. Obviously if I'm not alive I wont be calling anyone. heh

Anyway, heading out tomorrow morning and back on Saturday at some point.
Hopefully there will be focaccia-style bannock bread which I'm planning to try to make.

Weather looks decent, dry at least and possibly sunny on Saturday morning.

There will be video and piccies.

This will be a bit of a challenge I think.
I've worked out my walking route will be around 2km and just weighed in my pack at 22.5kg! Gah I'll need a lie down when I get there. LOL
Winter camping isn't lightweight

It all seems to mount up:
4x4 tarp, hammock, underblanket, sleeping bag, food, axe, saw, camera, tripod, frying pan, etc blah blah

To be fair I'm taking 2L of water as I'm unsure what the source will be like.

Must ensure that I ditch anything I don't use on this trip.

Other than the weight I think my main challenge will be finding enough dry firewood as it's been chucking it down for days here.

50lb is not too bad a weight over 2K if you pace yourself and have a rest here and there......not a route march mate.
Is it all up hill and down dale Paul...........you will more than likely be glad of that water on the way in......and out if it's hard going ;)

A pair of walking poles would be a handy addition for the hike if you have them.....they really do help with load carrying :thumbsup:

I'll post a wee write up when I've unpacked. Suffice to say that not everything went to plan! Walked 2.4k in, up a gradual incline along mostly gravel then mushy track. A tad sweaty!

The walk in

Parked beside a bunch of guys prepping their mountain bikes for the trails and got some odd looks as I donned enough gear for what looked like a permanent move into the wilderness!

I had decided to carry my sleeping bag since it takes up a huge amount of space in my pack.
So on my back was 19.2kg and I was carrying my 3.3kg my BA arctic bag.

I was initially heading for a fire break I had seen on Google Maps which was approx 1km from the parking area and had a stream running through it. However, after walking 2km I decided that I had missed it and/or it was overgrown. I eventually decided on a spot near another bit of said stream where I stopped my 'Map My Hike' app at 2.4km

I felt pretty busted so sat and had some water and fruit and nut mix for a wee break.

At Camp

I had obviously found a spot used by a group in the summer as there were a multitude of cans, plastic cups, wine bottles, BBQs and bottles (whole and smashed), a tent (in it's bag! Why didn't they carry it out after repacking it?) and a water canteen. I brought the tent and canteen home and tidied what I could find of their mess but had to leave the bags of rubbish at the path side as I just couldn't carry it all.
Someone had made an effort to hide the remains of a fire but I'm assuming it wasn't the same group.

So, I set up my tarp & hammock and set about looking for dry wood with approx 2 hours until sunset.

Fire

There lay the first problem. Everything was mush, moss covered and black with mould. Even the upright dead standing. I think because the trees are so closely planted that the rain gets in but the sunlight doesn't.
I gathered what I could and set about prepping it to cook up my steak and rice dinner.

I got the fire lit 6 or 7 times before, during and after sunset but couldn't for the life of me get it to be sustainable. Once the tinder burned through it just went out, every time.
6pm frustrated and pitch dark, I retired to my hammock to read.

Morning

I woke several times through the night with cold spots and I got up at 8am on a mission to get the fire going for coffee (& breakfast)
I found a dead standing non-pine tree and dragged it back to camp, prepped it, made reasonable feather sticks and got some grass which had been drying in my pocket for tinder.

All set methinks!

No.

The tinder burned, the feathers burned, then out it went again.
Yet more feather-sticking and during battoning a piece with a knot my knife snapped!
One last try at lighting the fire failed so I packed up and walked out.

Thank goodness I had the fruit and nut mix with me!

Home

Got back home 26 hours after I left, cooked up my steaks, sausages, black pudding, made onion bannock in the oven and guzzled coffee.

Feel better now but I'm disappointed that my fire skills failed me on this occasion but it was a good experience and I will do better next time!

Video to follow later this weekend.

What a cracking and honest write up......nice one Paul :thumbsup:
Enjoyed the read.....thanks for sharing.

Thanks folks, I don't believe in masking my ineptitude :)

I've got just under an hour and a half of video to chomp down to something that won't bore people into switching off early so that might take me a few evenings.
Family time tonight and tomorrow :)

Cheers

Nothing to do with ineptitude mate.........you just had a bit of bad luck.....at least you got out there amongst it :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the video:)

I trimmed the video down to 35 mins then set it to render which took almost 3 hours then the laptop threw a wobbly and died on me. So, no video until I take it to work tomorrow and fix it. Doh!

Is 35 mins too long? What do you think? Maybe I should split it into parts.

I trimmed the video down to 35 mins then set it to render which took almost 3 hours then the laptop threw a wobbly and died on me. So, no video until I take it to work tomorrow and fix it. Doh!

Is 35 mins too long? What do you think? Maybe I should split it into parts.
35 minutes of one of your videos would be a pleasure Paul

Back