• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

November Friday Solo Overnighter

Great we vid :thumbsup: a felt your frustration lol.....just shows how hard it is to light a fire in them conditions. It’s all practice buddy

Shame about the knife. How hard did you hit it :eek:

@G1ZmO

Hi Paul.

Another cracking video mate.....thanks for sharing it with us :thumbsup:
You found a lovely spot there to set up......camp looked good......having the stream close by was a bonus too.

Aghhh the dreaded fire:D.....you were soooo close a couple of times..........it was on its way.
It's so easy to sit here banging the keyboard giving an opinion.....oh you should have done this....or that :rolleyes::D

But.........please take this............ as hopefully constructive criticism and help :D

Your tinder was bang on..... and got it started well (take 6 I think it was).........but the next phase..........very small twigs...........have a 2ft/3ft pile ready to get going......keep feeding it on there.......... the established flame needs fuel.
Then increase the size of the twigs.....again another 2/3 foot pile and bang it on bit by bit.

Generating a heart for the fire.

There is no shame what so ever using Fire Biscuits.........fire lighters..........Vaseline and cottonwool.......when all else fails or you run out of dry tinder.:thumbsup:
Worth a thought as a backup.

Having that graded kindling in plentiful amounts is critical to feed and establish the heart.

Shame about the knife mate :( I have one here that you can have if you would like it....in a sheath.
You could cut a tree down with it.....if you have the time and patience :rofl:
You are welcome to it.....I will bring it along to the Scotland meet for you??

Excellent video......look forward to the next one :thumbsup:

As above, easy to say should have etc, been there myself, now I take more time in the prepping of wood splitting etc and that is working ......................... so far, plus now, in the woods that we go to I've just discovered a whole bunch of Pine with sap a plenty, and a bit of Birch, I like a bit of Birch bark :D Anyway, I waffle, all good experience for us all, great video too, thanks for sharing and well done in clearing other people's crap up.

@G1zm0

Bugger Paul.

I have been tearing the cupboards apart trying to find that knife......no joy.........I think I may have already given it away...........bit embarrassing :whistle:
It may still come to light.
If not............. I have a Martindale Garlock that I no longer use which you are welcome to.

DSC03371.JPG

DSC03372.JPG
DSC03373.JPG
DSC03374.JPG

Any good to you?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the inputs.

I did have 3 Vaseline & wax cotton pad fire biscuits with me as well as the birch bark and I used it all on the Friday night. They were literally the only things I could get to burn!

I freely admit that I should have spent more time on the fire prep but I think frustration, impatience and hunger were getting the better of me.
My kindling twigs were definitely too wet and I should have taken more time to try to source a wider diameter bit of dead standing that I could have got a dry core from.

Bill, I'll gladly accept your offer of the Martindale Garlock if you're not using it. I very much appreciate the offer mate! :thumbsup:

Hello... Just joined the forum, your not going to believe this but that has been my wee spot for years up until May this year,it was myself who attempted to cover the fire spot and had cleaned up and took out two bags of rubbish, the insect repellent was part of some gear I always left there to save carrying that I hid in trees not to well it seems as when I returned in May that fire pit was there my gear was gone... OK the idiots had made a mess.... They had took my tarp. Rucksack and a few other bits and bobs...... So I thought..... When cleaning fire pit discovered that they had burned it all in the fire....ooh and that's my canteen they must have thrown it there... But its yours now bud... Anyway that spot as you said is my scunnered spot as well now.... I have moved just along the road to another forest and your welcome to come along for a brew and blether anytime.

Heh, is that your tent also then? tbh I haven't even taken it out of the bag to investigate yet.
Glad to see another local on the forum. Our Scottish contingent is slowly growing.

So, are there better areas in that woodland? Maybe with Scots pine? Up there the trees are very closely packed.

So, are there better areas in that woodland? Maybe with Scots pine? Up there the trees are very closely packed
So, are there better areas in that woodland? Maybe with Scots pine? Up there the trees are very closely packed.
Hello... There is a wee bit of forest work going on but it has opened the views up over the Carron valley..... There are a few great spots near myself ideal for hammocks.... Can't work out how to pm yet... Don't want anymore gear burned if give away our wee spots..... But as I said more than welcome to share... And maybe a brew and blether sometime.

Ideal.
As for PM. Click the wee envelope at tope right and 'start a new conversation' and enter @G1ZmO into the recipients field.

Not sure how often I'll get out again before the week away in Feb since the festive period is quite busy at home but aiming to get out for maybe one or 2 overnights in Jan if I can squeeze them in.

Ideal.
As for PM. Click the wee envelope at tope right and 'start a new conversation' and enter @G1ZmO into the recipients field.

Not sure how often I'll get out again before the week away in Feb since the festive period is quite busy at home but aiming to get out for maybe one or 2 overnights in Jan if I can squeeze them in.
That's OK. Wont be doing any wild camping till that old git santa has been doon the chimney... Still can't get pm to work... Anyway guess you parked at holehead that day... If you had continued to second forest track after that there is a patch of Scots pine.... In fact if you had walked straight up from camp spot you would have seen Scots pine spot..... Still can't believe you found my scunnered spot😭

just watched the vid :) thanks for posting .... when you go out in damp situations you should always carry an old cycle iner tube ...you can cut it into strips and use that to get enough heat into your fire to help dry out the damp wood ...(i did give away large chunks of rubber at the summer meet for this situation )

good try though mate :)

That's OK. Wont be doing any wild camping till that old git santa has been doon the chimney... Still can't get pm to work... Anyway guess you parked at holehead that day... If you had continued to second forest track after that there is a patch of Scots pine.... In fact if you had walked straight up from camp spot you would have seen Scots pine spot..... Still can't believe you found my scunnered spot😭
T
That's toadholes not holehead...although have camped at holehead near the weather station that looks like a golf ball on Campsie hills.

@Matt Inadequate preparation for the trip I think. I won't make that mistake again.

@Forest wanders Yep, Toad/Toddholes is where I parked. I did walk about 400m past the eventual camp spot but couldn't find a running water source. Maybe if I'd gone further though.... :)
Hello all...... Went to this spot today.... Lots of firewood... Looks like someone could not light a fire🤔😆.....it was blinking cold.... 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20181214_110858.jpg
    IMG_20181214_110858.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20181214_115502.jpg
    IMG_20181214_115502.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20181214_113619.jpg
    IMG_20181214_113619.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20181214_115514.jpg
    IMG_20181214_115514.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20181214_114901.jpg
    IMG_20181214_114901.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 105
Hi Forest.

That spot looks, familiar mate,...........someone had trouble with a fire you say :D:D.....oh you are a bad man 😂
Nice neat set up and a good bit of frost.....looking at you in the picture is making me feel cold:xmas-cool:
Like your woofer......bet he/she is good company.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more 👍

LOL! Glad the wee stash of wood was useful. I see no fire though. :whistle::lol:

Were the bags of rubbish still beside the main track?

Reactions: Oot
Back