• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Obsolete !!

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Making enquiries about a new Lap Top and I'm told that not only is this Toshiba " Obsolete"...according to the Salesman, but, Toshiba no longer make Lap Tops !! Howza bout that then Guys and Gals....??

News to me..

Making enquiries about a new Lap Top and I'm told that not only is this Toshiba " Obsolete"...according to the Salesman, but, Toshiba no longer make Lap Tops !! Howza bout that then Guys and Gals....??

News to me..
Just looked at dozens of brand new toshiba laptops on amazon

I suspect there will be some good deals Joe. The Salesman did say they were available still, but since August they had sold up that part of the business and if I bought one now and had a problem with it, he wasn't sure how goodnthe guarantees would be. May be sales talk, but...

Toshiba Will Stop Making Laptops After More Than 35 Years ...
www.digitaltrends.com.png
Toshiba Will Stop Making Laptops After More Than 35 Years | Digital Trends
Japanese tech giant Toshiba will no longer make laptops after more than three decades in the business, the company has announced. On August 4, Toshiba transferred its last outstanding share in...

Amazon are sharks, they'll off load anything onto the unsuspecting and wouldn't mention the stock is the last of the line.

I like my Mac... so far its been pretty bomb proof and is lasting well. good screen definition and easy to use.

A lot of it depends on what you need to do. My “laptop” is actually a windows 10 tablet with a detachable keyboard. Only cost me about £150 a couple of years ago, does everything I need it to do, you can attach an external monitor and keyboard if required.

I bought it as at that price I could put it in my day sack when serving the queen and still watch films etc.

" A lot of it depends on what you need to do. "

Yes, dead right. Because I am a complete computer Dunce, I don't understand much of the jargon attached. I showed the Toshiba to the salesman and he said it was old and obsolete, then asked how much and what I used it for. He did something which made the Laptop show a coloured Pie chart, I think it's called. apparently I've used 34% of what ever it uses ( memory?) in all the years I've had it. He suggested something a bit more basic as I don't watch films or play games etc, just bits of You Tube, 3 forums, News/ weather, emails and keep some photos 300 ish maybe ?

He suggested a recon business laptop, comes with a guarantee. They don't do games etc: which is fine and are cheap compared with a bells and whistles job...Anyone knowledge/rumours on recon lap tops?

If you’re not playing games/doing loads of tricks then I’m sure it will be fine.

i tend to travel and stay in random officers messes/ budget hotels so being able to log into amazon prime or watch a film is a bonus but mostly I need simple works processing/ spreadsheets and office tools Which most laptops will easily do.

The software can be a big cost, if it’s bundled then that can save a fortune (but only if you need it).

I recently bought a recon unit for the model engineering club. Cost £225. Works very well. Got it from a small local computer dealer.

Buying computers is also a bit weird, seemingly by the time you’ve unboxed it the specs are left behind by what’s newly available; the truth being it will still be more than capable of doing everything you need to do be it write the odd letter, surf the Internet or do further research into your favouyeuropean “art” movies.

as a case in point we donated a couple of laptops we don’t use to a friend who works for a local charity that refurbished them and have them to kids who needed them for home schooling; they were at least 15 years old and more than capable of doing what was needed.

Thanks lads, sounds promising. Man I spoke to was from a little back street computer shop, not PC World or anywhere like that, he informed me about Toshiba ceasing production. He's got some recon laptops which were between £200-300, although I didn't look at all the prices. Some looked brand new to me. I saw one HP? and one called Dell but didn't look too close. I'll go back after the weekend and have a proper look.

There are some computer shops that will build a computer to your own specs......they will advise you what would suit your personal needs.

I’ve never actually had a problem with going. Into PC world and buying a relatively basic base model that does everything I need it to.

Reactions: Bam
I must be unlucky with the PC Worlds, Currys and others, although I'm aware it's an age/knowledge thing. I've found they launch into jargon, Gigas, Rams, Pentium this and that., they are under pressure to sell, meet targets no doubt. I don't understand what they are rambling on about..they are either too young or perhaps older, but soaked in Computer nerdery to realise that there are still a few people who cannot generate enough interest to keep up with the latest developments, but that's my fault not theirs, they live in a different mind set and at a different level of seemingly compulsory engagement with the 21st Century...

The bloke in the small shop speaks English though, he asked me to turn the Laptop on...no mention of Booting it up... :rofl:

I must be unlucky with the PC Worlds, Currys and others, although I'm aware it's an age/knowledge thing. I've found they launch into jargon, Gigas, Rams, Pentium this and that., they are under pressure to sell, meet targets no doubt. I don't understand what they are rambling on about..they are either too young or perhaps older, but soaked in Computer nerdery to realise that there are still a few people who cannot generate enough interest to keep up with the latest developments, but that's my fault not theirs, they live in a different mind set and at a different level of seemingly compulsory engagement with the 21st Century...

The bloke in the small shop speaks English though, he asked me to turn the Laptop on...no mention of Booting it up... :rofl:

You got a friend or relly that could act as a 'go between for you and the computer geeks ? I'm with 38, over the years my laptops have mostly come from the high street, Curry's or PC World etc. If you don't need some high end gaming machine then anything simple should suffice Sax.

" If you don't need some high end gaming machine then anything simple should suffice Sax. "

Yep.that's why recons interest me. Granddaughter's back from Holiday on Monday, she will be interpreter for me..

Back