• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

OEX Powerlux

Bam

Extremely Addicted
Just pulled the trigger on a couple of these.

OEX Powerlux%20Lantern%20w%20USB%20Charger | Millets

They're powered by an 18650 battery which works for me, I've got a few and the ability to recharge them. They can also be recharged through a USB cable too. There's a lot of small and smallish options out there but the 18650 appeals to me, review to follow.... Smurf has bought one too, I'll share his views when we can get out and compare notes. Thought I'd post it in case they float anyone else's boat.

👍thanks Bam, been looking around for a decent little camp light. i especially like that this one has the red mode, often use that on my pocket torches to avoid completely blowing out my night vision. also helps that i have the same sort of 18650 gear laying around that you do.

Nice lantern Andy.....and for a good price too.
Safe and clean option for traveling in the pack and use in the tent/shelter.....nice to have about at home too..... in case of emergencies.

Thanks for sharing.

fwiw seems like i found it for £12 + free delivery on fleabay from Blacks:

ordered, i'll report back later once i've confirmed that all is well.

same item lists for £15 + £3.95 shipping on their website. :confused!:

fwiw seems like i found it for £12 + free delivery on fleabay from Blacks:

ordered, i'll report back later once i've confirmed that all is well.

same item lists for £15 + £3.95 shipping on their website. :confused!:
Nice find that Teef, I looked around too, bugger !

Well, that's my 2 arrived, I had a quick play but spirited them away up to my den as the missus is out so I'll not get moaned at. :lol: I'll have a proper play tonight when its dark. And she's up the stairs. :rofl:

First impressions are they're pretty decent though.

I've just had a play and I'm happy enough, don't know how long the battery will last (really, as opposed to the blurb) and I've got different 18650 batteries I could play around with and it lights up a decent sized dark room. The size is good and seems solid enough for the money (especially if you can get them for 12 quid), for tent use ie dressing or reading it will do fine I'd say, especially if its for relatively short trips or you can change the battery or use a powerbank to recharge it.

+1 to that. especially when you consider that a decent 18650 battery (which is included) would typically cost £6-8 alone. here you get the light, the built-in recharger and the battery for £12 or £15. if you're wanting a basic little no-frills camp light -- with red mode, always a good thing -- hard to go wrong here. can't recall if it had been mentioned elsewhere but my unit with battery weighs in at 147g. the battery alone is 45g.

one small but good thing: although the battery provided has a "nipple top" -- the bump on the + end -- i've found that 18650s _without_ the nipple work just as well in this unit. very much not always the case and nice to see that here.

one small but not so good thing: most batteries, but not all, make the unit whine a little. with the supplied battery the whine is almost imperceptible (at least to me). with other batteries it's a crap shoot: some are dead silent, most are fine but the occasional one can be quite horrid. i'd say test your backup batteries in the unit before you venture forth, unless you're willing to risk the sound of an enraged mosquito to accompany your camp-side ambiance.

Cheers for the pointer on the battery issue Teef, I'll have a play around, I've got some good Nitecore ones which are my 'go to' and a load of cheaper ones which have been fine in the past. I'll give them a wee test.

... don't know how long the battery will last (really, as opposed to the blurb)...
thought it might be worthwhile to run a wee test so I set mine at Medium at 0930 this morning. the packet says the battery should last 5.5hrs on Medium.
it's now 1435 -- almost exactly 5 hrs steady burn time -- and the lamp is starting to flicker noticably. not sure if that's intentional but it is a good indicator that the battery might be hitting its limit. still kicking out the light though so there's that.

Hi folks, can anyone tell me what color the led in the button flashes under normal charging? I looked everywhere for a manual and couldn't find one. Thanks :)

Just put mine on charge and the button is steady red. I'll let you know when it's charged if it turns green.

Cheers! Mine was flashing red and I'm not sure if that means it's charging or not. Let me know if yours goes green :)

Back