• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Of Mice and Men...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Carefully deflated, dried and wrapped in protective plastic sheeting, my inflatable Dinghy has been stowed away since I moved house last July.
Today was to be sorting out Mooring day.....Sunny and dry, tide is later this afternoon, time now for prep for Operation Dabble...
Unwrap Dinghy.....Little grey gits !!!

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

It was a very old Dinghy which I had previously rescued and repaired, but at least it floated!! I just hope they got constipated....:lol:...:lol:

Just like D Day 1944, Operation Dabble is now temporarily postponed

Attachments

• DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00041.jpg
    DSC00041.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00040.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 14
They get everywhere and if the don't chew it they'll piss on it. It's why we have cats, if they weren't controlling the mice we would have been driven out long ago. Louise stores her valuable old textiles in metal trunks to keep the little b*stards at bay but you'd expect a RIB to be a bit beyond them.
These are useful for long term storage of tents and suchlike.

Sorry to hear it Sax, I keep checking stuff in my shed as I keep dug food and all sorts in there but so far we're fine. Like Mike, we have a cat, we only need the one, he's lethal.

The wee buggers, sorry to hear about this sax đź‘Ž is there going to be a little revenge hunt for culprits??

The Dinghy was in a small concrete 'Shed' within what was once an old store house. I could find no evidence of nibbling of the polythene sheet that I wrapped the Dinghy in, so they must have crept in via the folds.

I have a cunning plan that involves Cheese, dead fall traps and flat Meeces.... :lol:

I rescued that Dinghy years ago, it was punctured and abandoned on the mud below Burnham-on- Crouch. Probably by some rich motor boat owner from the Romford navy. Couple of patches and a scrub did the trick and it lasted until Speedy Gonzales made a meal of it.

Carefully deflated, dried and wrapped in protective plastic sheeting, my inflatable Dinghy has been stowed away since I moved house last July.
Today was to be sorting out Mooring day.....Sunny and dry, tide is later this afternoon, time now for prep for Operation Dabble...

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

It was a very old Dinghy which I had previously rescued and repaired, but at least it floated!! I just hope they got constipated....:lol:...:lol:

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

Definitely a belly ache making meal, I have had it happen to tents. the easy answer is to put moth balls inside the wrapping material

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

Do you want an old tatty but airtight and light Zodiac 3 metre "Zoom" RIB (solid hull) which I use as a tender with an 8 Tohatsu (will plane with 2 onboard easily)
I'm not using it that much now the boat is moved and am thinking of a roll away airdeck (seago spirit) It is perfectly useable with oars (rubbish) and thwart. If you can arrange delivery or collection, you are welcome foc.? Will go in a largish estate flat. weighs about 20 kg ???

Attachments

• DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00040.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00041.jpg
    DSC00041.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 9
Do you want an old tatty but airtight and light Zodiac 3 metre "Zoom" RIB (solid hull) which I use as a tender with an 8 Tohatsu (will plane with 2 onboard easily)
I'm not using it that much now the boat is moved and am thinking of a roll away airdeck (seago spirit) It is perfectly useable with oars (rubbish) and thwart. If you can arrange delivery or collection, you are welcome foc.? Will go in a largish estate flat. weighs about 20 kg ???

Amazing........what a generous and kind offer :)

Lol, I've just read your very generous offer and coming from someone that I've never met, I am so grateful for your kind consideration, thank you.
Just after Mid day yesterday I bought a secondhand Plastimo inflatable from a local Fireman, so I am able to resume sorting out my Mooring when the tide permits.

No worries, it's always here, and in use for now!

Lol, I think you are in East Anglia are you not? The reason I ask is because a hard bottom Dinghy is ideal for my conditions here, I have to drag down the shore to launch. I know a launching trolley is the answer but carting one around is a pain. At my river mooring there's no Boat Yard as such and a Dinghy or Trolley left on the shore is ok during the winter, but not safe during the holiday times...Not saying anymore...

When you get your new Dinghy, and decide to get rid of the Zodiac, if I could combine one of my visits to Sussex with a trip to you, I'd willingly pay some money for the Zodiac.
Just thoughts for the future..:thumbsup:

Reactions: Bam
Whenever or however suits you? The dinghy does have a set (in the garage) of transom mounted fold up wheels you can also have, for exactly that purpose. No money.
It has another set fitted, with bigger tyres.....they may be better?
Except west, I don't know where you are, but from Sussex, the journey can be a pain with the M25 again....I'm between Sudbury and Bury St Edmunds.....Suffolk?
Sometimes with a car/van, its easier from the west to do Birmingham and then A14.......... still not nice. On the Guzzi, when commuting home to Cornwall, it mattered not!! :thumbsup:

I don't know what engine you'll use, but a 2hp has pushed it along just fine? Do remember though, it IS tired, has been patched once years ago, but IS airtight, and would have been in current use in normal years if still on a swinging mooring, so it's perfectly useable.

DEflated...a little less than 3m long and just over 1 metre wide..................

Last edited:
Thanks Pal, wheels sounds the total answer for my situation, a long rough but gentle slope down to the river is entailed.
I'll put some photos up after my next visit. In the meantime, we've all heard of the Scottish Folk song, " The Ferry Boat Song".....well this is the Welsh version..."The Cherry Boat Song".... :lol: :lol:

DSC00043.JPG
DSC00044.JPG

Reactions: lol
On the plastimo, with slacker aft lines, that could easily be hoiked rucksack style?????????????

Agreed. I can lift it quite easily when it's stowed in that blue wrap a round bag/cover. Not 100% confident of tottering down a weed covered slope with it inflated and hoisted on my back though...
character0032.gif
:lol:

Attachments

• character0032.gif
    character0032.gif
    709 bytes · Views: 11
  • Haha
Reactions: lol
Agreed. I can lift it quite easily when it's stowed in that blue wrap a round bag/cover. Not 100% confident of tottering down a weed covered slope with it inflated and hoisted on my back though...
character0032.gif
:lol:
Could be fun on a breezy day..

Attachments

• character0032.gif
    character0032.gif
    709 bytes · Views: 12
Back