• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Off grid power

Bopdude

Extremely Addicted
Hi all, been looking at these for ages now trying to make my mind up if it would be worth having ? my problem as now is keeping my batteries and phone charged while on site, very little power unless you walk to the canteen and then you have to leave your gear laying around :( this guy has done his testing with some impressive results, I know Kent survival (Youtube) has one and uses it but was wondering if anyone here has one or similar and what they're impressions were, thanks in advance.

Hi Al, aye, as Bill says I've got one and I've had no issues. Its quick to charge (depending on the sun obviously) and of course you can 'fill it' with mains if its available. I got the Allpowers 100W camping panel that's recommended for it but a cheap solid panel would probably do just as well for a fraction of the price. Its simple to use and I've not experienced any serious power loss although I've not had it that long. I use it to charge all my small devices (or smaller powerbanks to do the same) and then when I can I put the panel out to charge it back up. If you have any questions ask away.

Hello Bop, try the old..." Someone overnight on site is good from a security point of view" Might help him make up his mind..:thumbsup:
Hi Al, aye, as Bill says I've got one and I've had no issues. Its quick to charge (depending on the sun obviously) and of course you can 'fill it' with mains if its available. I got the Allpowers 100W camping panel that's recommended for it but a cheap solid panel would probably do just as well for a fraction of the price. Its simple to use and I've not experienced any serious power loss although I've not had it that long. I use it to charge all my small devices (or smaller powerbanks to do the same) and then when I can I put the panel out to charge it back up. If you have any questions ask away.
That's good to know, how long does it take to charge from mains ? and charging small stuff via usb what sort of life are you looking at ?

That's good to know, how long does it take to charge from mains ? and charging small stuff via usb what sort of life are you looking at ?

To be honest Al, I've only charged it once from the mains although that might change over winter. It arrived at about 40 odd percent. The weather hasn't been great today but I put in 9% today (about 9000MaH), of course that's going to be variable. Charging my phone takes about 1% to 2%, AC is a lot quicker but I think less efficient so if you're in a hurry you can charge phones etc on AC for a quicker charge or through DC for a slower charge. Sorry, I'm not being very 'technical' about it, I'm still playing with it long term. I've used it to charge a load of smaller powerbanks when its sunny so that its easy to have stuff beside me and charging. I'll do a trial on charging my phone on AC to see how much more 'percents' it uses. unfortunately I'm at 77% on my phone so it will be a few days before I have to charge it.

I'm able to put a panel out my back garden and take advantage of any good weather, from what you've said about your plans that might not be feasible. Bear with me, its sat at 89% at the moment, I'll put it on mains charge and see how long it takes.

I've just put 10% (approx 10000MaH) in in 48 minutes from the mains. That should do for phones, usb powered tooth brushes etc for a while. Even if you have access to mains for half an hour a day, you'll be banging in the wigglies, I guess it will depend on how many devices you're looking to charge and how thirsty they are.

Thanks for the info, I think you just tipped the scales, a couple of weeks work and put away some pennies and I think I'll have one :)

Reactions: Bam
Hi Al, I managed to run my phone down to 7% to give it a good charge on AC. Its definitely thirstier and less efficient to charge it. I've got 'C' charger and the plug that came with it is more 'powerful' than the generic ones, I've got it charging on the generic type to see how it goes, DC normally puts in about 7 to 8 watts, on AC (generic) its getting 13 watts but on 59% charged, the phone has yomped 6% of the battery instead of 1 to 2% on DC.

Hope that helps.

Back