• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Off roading.......

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
The bitter cold Easterly wind of yesterday has died away to a whisper and the sun was warm from a blue sky, so I took the opportunity for some off road walking. The wind had dried the woodland paths and the ground is cold enough to be hard but not icey, so I went for a wander in the wood at the back of the cottage.
The back lane is sheltered, even from the breeze and today the warm sun was making the air smell of the Ramsons which grow along the edges of the lane.
DSC00339.JPG

DSC00340.JPG

The Foresters have been hard at work for some weeks now, the surrounding woods noisey with the racket of Chain Saws, but this is not a commercial chop everything down type of operation thankfully, they fell and clear to the National Trust policy of preservation and care for the environment. The results may look brutal...
DSC00341.JPG

DSC00343.JPG

But where those trees have been felled replanting has taken place and the areas where undergrowth has been cleared, as above, will be full of wildflowers and new growth when the sunlight warms the ground.

In places the trees are felled or trimmed to provide habitat for birds and insects.
DSC00352.JPG

DSC00354.JPG

DSC00353.JPG

These nest boxes will soon have Tenants.

Normally I take a pocket full of Bread Crumbs or something on my wanders but forgot today..Huh! dirty looks from the Robin gang who expected breakfast..
DSC00345.JPG
DSC00346.JPG

These two were surprisingly close together by the same tree, usually two males will be scrapping when that close. While I had the camera out I did notice Ferns growing on the same tree.
DSC00347.JPG

On the woodland floor, Scarlet Elf Caps on a fallen branch.
DSC00350.JPG

Long ago this old Beech dropped a bough across the path. Rather than cart the whole remains away, the pathway has been cleared but the debris left to decay naturally.
DSC00348.JPG

DSC00349.JPG

Nearer home, the Primroses in the hedge row multiply by the day.
DSC00355.JPG

An old Evergreen near the Courtyard has had a visit from the Forester and the people that live nearby suddenly find their rooms are a lot brighter on these Winter days.
DSC00356.JPG

Home now, tired but I didn't fall over...🤣

Love the phots Sax, thanks for sharing, like Al in the post above, no sign of spring here, it'll come though.

Great pics. I'm astounded that the ransoms are out there already. We seem to be a very long way from spring in Scotland.

Reactions: Bam
If it's nice tomorrow I'll go for a wander, you'll be surprised at how much green growth is showing down here, Paul. In the morning thread I always say..No frost, mild etc: and it has been until the last couple of days when the cold Easterly set in. I've seen frost 3 times this winter, but It's a very local weather effect.
Looking on the local weather site at this time, Methyr Tydfil away to the East is minus 3 C, closer to me ( 30 odd miles) is Carmarthen at 0 C and here it's 2 degrees C .

Reactions: Bam
Back