• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Offensive weapons bill amendment 2018

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
Today there will be a discussion in parliament to decide whether or not to ban all FAC firearms with a muzzle energy over 13500Joules. This would effectively end all .50 cal target competition in the uk. :mad:

It's thoroughly pointless, there hasn't ever been a .50 cal rifle used in a criminal act in the UK as far as I can tell...statistically they're safer than a .22 air rifle. They're highly regulated anyway, it's very difficult to get a variation for one and only experienced, responsible marksmen can own them so why ban them. :rolleyes:
Bloody nanny state strikes again...next thing they'll be licensing air rifles, something that no civilised country should even contemplate.;)

It's thoroughly pointless, there hasn't ever been a .50 cal rifle used in a criminal act in the UK as far as I can tell...statistically they're safer than a .22 air rifle. They're highly regulated anyway, it's very difficult to get a variation for one and only experienced, responsible marksmen can own them so why ban them. :rolleyes:
Bloody nanny state strikes again...next thing they'll be licensing air rifles, something that no civilised country should even contemplate.;)

Doesn't surprise me

The debate has been temporarily postponed, if anyone has strong feelings on the matter now is the moment to exert influence on yout MP as I will be doing with mine.
I see this as the thin end of the wedge, they banned pistols, they reclassified shotguns holding more then two rounds, Scotland licenced air guns and now the gun grabbers are going after big bore target rifles. This isn't a measure that will in any way prevent crime, it will only effect honest, responsible, legal firearm licence owners. Each piece of legislation is a pointless attempt to show that politicians are tough on gun crime...hopefully it won't get past Lords

After donkeys years of new labour appointing their cronies to the House of Lords I'm less optimistic.

I'm in conversation with my MP and he has promised to oppose this part of the bill, there were other parts of the bill that have already been excluded such as an amendment to make it necessary to hold a shotgun certificate to have shotgun ammunition in your possession, in effect criminalising many loaders at driven shoots.
The proposed legislation would simply put an end to F class marksmanship in the UK while having no impact whatsoever on criminal activity.

Hmm, 124 views...not bad, I can only hope that some of that interest translated into you guys contacting you MPs to ask them to oppose the ban.

Back