• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Old hand axe

BmxArgh

Slightly Talkative
Been using this axe to make kindling for the log burner and the like for years now. It's my partners grandfathers who left us years ago so hand me down but a bit of history. Always loved it, unsure why but never really looked after it properly and was in bad nick when I got it.
Anyways I've decided to buy it a new shaft, waiting for it to arrive Nothing fancy just a cheap hickory one at 14"/405mm with the correct size for the eye on the head. The one on it isn't even the correct size and had come off, is split in a few places also.
The axe head itself is a solid old 1 3/4 lb Sandvik. I'm not going to clean it to much. More just the front end and sharpen it up. There is something about it looking a bit knackered and used and probably why I like it so much.
Anyway tonight I cleaned up the head a bit ready to sharpen. I actually can't wait for the new shaft. It's the simple things.
20180320203916.JPG
20180320204515.JPG

As a young one myself BMX (not like the two old yins above:p) Your axe has some history so it’s understandable why you favor it mate. Should look the part once you put the handle on:thumbsup:

get yourself some linseed oil for the shaft and gun oil for the head. This should keep it in good nick for years to come:thumbsup:

Hoping the shaft arrives tomorrow but while waiting couldn't resist getting her grandads old whetstone out and cleaning up and sharpening the blade edge up ready to mount. The rest of it will stay as is as I like the character it gives it, showing it's age.
20180321212144.JPG

Come up quite well. Partner is laughing at me saying "I can't believe how obsessed you get about something so small" I just replied with "well you know what I'm like" as I sat at the kitchen table working it and then "your grandad would love the fact I'm fixing this up."
To which she smiled, nodded and walked off leaving me to it.

Three generations on and new shaft fitted to keep it rocking. All oiled up, both head and shaft.

Attachments

• 20180324131313.JPG
    20180324131313.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 150
Back