• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Old Knife

Keith 66

Quite Talkative
A couple of weeks ago i was asked by my father in law to clear a family friends shed out, most of it was junk & i spent 3 days sorting through it then giving most of it to the mens shed that is starting up near us.
One little gem surfaced which the owner was happy for me to keep.
Its a knife made by Turner Naylor & Co Ltd, clear trademark of Punch on the blade & rosewood scales with brass fittings. It is 9 1/4" long overall & the blade is quite thin probably about 3/32 thick. It was sharp when i pulled it from its original sheath & a touch on a fine oilstone brought it to shaving sharp. It really is a lovely piece of steel. Definately a keeper! Any info on what it is gratefully recieved.
DSC_0004.JPG

It would appear from a history of the company that the company started as I Sorby & traded as Turner Naylor & Co Ltd between 1868 & 1876, so it is between 142 to 150 years old.

The blade shape and brass fixings in the handle remind me of what used to be called Seaman's knives, still are by some manufacturers....Seaman's Knife | Seasure

The knife I was issued with in 1960 has the plain big brass handle pins in a Rosewood handle. ( under the whipping and Turk's Head...:D ) My knife is of the Green River shape blade but some of my ship mates carried knives with a blade and handle very similar your knife.

P1040763.JPG

My Dad had a Green river knife, must have a search for it next time im up there!

Proper working knives, Keith. Held a good edge and were much sought after in my time at sea.

Back