• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

One man bivi

No experience at all with hooped bivi's......there are a few of the guys who have them and use them.

There were a couple floating about on here for sale not long ago 🤔

Depends

budget …. Corinthia observer at the top …

Military …. Dutch army hooped bivvy

Snucgpak ….. stratosphere

I use currently an Alpkit Elan and a OR Helium both work well for me .

Obvious benefit is pack size , feeling of really being outdoors , limitations around access/ egress especially if weather is bad , side entry is much easier and condensation ( unavoidable but can be reduced ) . I sometimes use a rab poncho to provide some additional top cover .

15425ACD-F490-4849-AD3E-0EDDB9197646.jpeg
BBFFB982-B2D4-4C07-B1B3-038D5490C83C.jpeg
5A06C19F-075D-4BAA-A90F-0FAC693C5C76.jpeg
80C15F06-BC8A-4914-9503-2D56C0DC31FF.jpeg

I know @lol favours the stratosphere and he may be along to tell you his thoughts at some point , I think it’s very similar to the Elan ( maybe has a little more headroom ) , similar weight , packsize ( elan is just a bit bigger than a bottle of Shiraz) and durability . There seem to be a few Elan’s on EBay at the moment .

As an aside I have used an arctic 90 sleeping bag with a standard military bivvi and small fly sheet as a basha just to cover my face And other kit. This all packs into a 35L rucksack liner and then the compression sack.
It is the easiest set-up and pack down imaginable. Most people will want a self inflating sleep mat but for this set-up I use a four season foam roll up mat. I turn the dry bag inside out and put any damp outer shell clothes inside it as a pillow (then I turn it the right way to be able to pack down the sleeping bag). If the bivvi is wet I pack it down separately from the sleeping bag.

Last edited:
Just bought the Outdoor Research Helium in coyote brown, not been out in it yet but played about in it and I love it ! Only 484 grams in weight and it seems more room inside and half the weight of my snugpack stratosphere. I just don't get on with the stratosphere, am a side sleeper and with a therorest mat in it I feel not much room. I much prefer my rab ridge raider to it, similar weight and more room and better in ruff weather. Looking forward to getting out in the helium, can't believe how light it is !

Just bought the Outdoor Research Helium in coyote brown, not been out in it yet but played about in it and I love it ! Only 484 grams in weight and it seems more room inside and half the weight of my snugpack stratosphere. I just don't get on with the stratosphere, am a side sleeper and with a therorest mat in it I feel not much room. I much prefer my rab ridge raider to it, similar weight and more room and better in ruff weather. Looking forward to getting out in the helium, can't believe how light it is !
Interested to see it in action , don’t think I’ve seen a coyote brown one 👍

Back