• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

ONETIGRIS Smokey Hut heads up

lol

Extremely Addicted
I have one of these, and love it for it's simplicity and packability, when a cotton/canvas tent is too heavy/bulky to be carried, these things make an excellent and very light tent that can be stuffed into almost no space at all........as we all know.

However, there is a weak spot....in the apex, which is "reinforced" with a second disc of silnylon, partially sewn in forming a pocket. The hanging loop for any inner tent is sewn to this, but poorly and will easily tear away. Mine did. It can easily be stitch reinforced without sewing the "fly" itself. At the same time one can insert a reinforcing disc cut to size into the pocket. I have inserted a foam (garage mat square) disc with a leather disc (old boat shoe). Strong, secure; jobbed. :whistle:

If you have one of these tents, have a look?

That was on the cards (going to nick one from the neighbours dog!), before I realised I could make and insert a pad ?
But if any one has one, they need to look at the stitching of the hanging loop.............before it tears off. There may be similar weakness' on other OneTigris tents?

............at the same time, I took the opportunity to replace the thin bungee cord peg out loops around the periphery, with some bungee cord just a little stronger...........:thumbsup:

A LITTLE REVIEW

I'm finding my kit splitting into 2 camps...sorry for the pun: 1 cotton, heavy, surplus, the other, lightweight and compact....horses for courses?
Anyway, the latter has bought me to lightweight tents and tarps, which of necessity are not cotton or canvas, which is delightful to camp with or sleep under....oh well.....
In this case, after a canoe wild camp with someone who used one......I was impressed with the compactness, simplicity (tipi design) and lightness of the One Tigris Smokey Hut, so much so, I obtained one.......

It is an extremely lightweight silnylon tipi tent, about 10 foot in diameter. It has a waterproof zip entrance, but the tent can be opened right up. What it comes with, I'll come to in a minute, but what it doesn't come with is any groundsheet. Apart from saving weight, this allows the use of a woodburner in the tent (it comes with a flue flap) and OneTigris sell separately a full size mozzie inner with integral groundsheet. I bought a 1/2 size aftermarket one for about £10 plus? These inners tie up to a hanging hook in the apex. This is poorly stitched and was quickly and easily strengthened at home. The stitching on the shelter itself seems good with load points reinforced/cross bar sewn.
What does it come with? Well a lightweight folding alloy centre pole, good quality alloy cross section pegs and guy lines. Now, for whatever reason, OneTigris see fit to supply pegs for the periphery of the tent, but only some for the mid height stabilising guys, and not all the guylines either? Why?
When pegged out on the fine elastic bungees around the base (adequate but I changed them for something marginally thicker), and all guylines pegged out it is remarkably stable in strong winds. Also the quoted 2000mm hydrostatic head shrugged off some summer storms utterly.
It also has an exterior hanging loop if required. Whilst at the apex, 2 mesh covered cowls are there, but with nothing to keep them open, so I stuff a small piece of foam under the cowls. Plenty of ventilation from underneath and the doors though?
I don't intend to use it as a hot tent, though many do, but as an extremely light and compact back packing tent, it takes some beating? It and the ancillary mozzie inner, are available heavily discounted from AliExpress........

Attachments

• One Tigris 2 and inner (2).jpg
    One Tigris 2 and inner (2).jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 323
  • OneTigris 1 (2).jpg
    OneTigris 1 (2).jpg
    391 KB · Views: 301
  • OneTigris zip (2).jpg
    OneTigris zip (2).jpg
    243 KB · Views: 158
Nice write up mate......pleased you are happy with the tent.
The little bits of fine tuning just make it that bit more personal......and adds to the confidence.... and feel for the tent :thumbsup:

I also made a little pad that slots in between two bits of silnylon in the apex, where the pole goes

Think I'll be getting one of these for xmas. I've got the green light from the missus for 200 quid, I'll also be getting 'something' from other family members so might have enough for the 'fireplace' too. Looks like the kind of thing my dug would 'dig' too as he's a fan of the lavvu but that's a tighter squeeze, this might be just the ticket, even without the fireplace it could be a great shelter for nipping off to the woods.

More research required... Goddamn it, I'll have to watch more boys going camping in the woods. :D

Think I'll be getting one of these for xmas. I've got the green light from the missus for 200 quid, I'll also be getting 'something' from other family members so might have enough for the 'fireplace' too. Looks like the kind of thing my dug would 'dig' too as he's a fan of the lavvu but that's a tighter squeeze, this might be just the ticket, even without the fireplace it could be a great shelter for nipping off to the woods.

More research required... Goddamn it, I'll have to watch more boys going camping in the woods. :D
if you look on American amazon site you will find lots of options on tents with stove jack holes ...

Reactions: Bam

just watch the postage and import duty :thumbsup:
Yeah, that was the thing. I liked the snow skirt on it......but the stitching was all single line?
If going for something like these for one person; I can only recommend to buy a 3rd party 1 man mossy interior with Groundsheet. AliExpress had something for about £11 that I bought with my OneTigris Smokey Hut as detailed in my mods

Cheers guys, I looked at the Amazon one because its easy but didn't think to look at the foreign Amazons, its something that I've been told about before. I can be far too impulsive with this stuff at times so 'note to self....'. I'll be waiting until Xmas anyway, apparently, that's what 'we' do. :(

I'm hoping there's enough in the pot for a stove too, or at least close enough for me to make up the difference. ;) Not sure how often I'll be able to justify it but I do like the idea of the wee stoves.

Back