• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Onions

Bam

Extremely Addicted
We've had a good crop this year and I've dragged arse dehydrating due to having to move my set up from the garage to the newish garden shed. We lost a a lot of onions to not drying out properly because of it but the missus has saved a lot of them. She's diced up a load and put them on a baking tray and put in the freezer so we can bag them up. I'll get the dehydrator set up by thursday (busy tomorrow) and get the rest blanched and dried. Annoyed that we've lost some to be honest.

We've managed to either use or give away a lot of veg this year. We've also managed to blanch and freeze loads of green beans. I'll see how the dehydrator goes in the shed over the next few months with the temp and humidity but some stuff I'm not allowed to do in the house, onions being a prime example.

We've had a good crop this year and I've dragged arse dehydrating due to having to move my set up from the garage to the newish garden shed. We lost a a lot of onions to not drying out properly because of it but the missus has saved a lot of them. She's diced up a load and put them on a baking tray and put in the freezer so we can bag them up. I'll get the dehydrator set up by thursday (busy tomorrow) and get the rest blanched and dried. Annoyed that we've lost some to be honest.

We've managed to either use or give away a lot of veg this year. We've also managed to blanch and freeze loads of green beans. I'll see how the dehydrator goes in the shed over the next few months with the temp and humidity but some stuff I'm not allowed to do in the house, onions being a prime example.
The ones you lost Bam was not down to you mate it was because rot had already set in

The ones you lost Bam was not down to you mate it was because rot had already set in

We didn't check them, we had them in a shed. If I'd got my finger out I might have noticed they weren't drying properly. Still saved some, I blame the missus, it was her that put them out to dry. šŸ¤£

It's all a learning curve. If it's possible at the time you harvest it's worth laying Onions and Garlic out in a sunny spot to finish drying. You can always put them all in the freezer and dehydrate later when you have the time or inclination.
The dehydrator is a boon this time of year with an allotment. I used to dehydrate shedloads of grated courgette and summer squash to use in cakes, omlettes and soups through the winter. Any damaged Winter Squash can be cubed cooked and dehydrated. Too many Parsnips and Beetroot? Make some dehydrated crisps.:D Hoping to be in back in the growing game soon!

It's all a learning curve. If it's possible at the time you harvest it's worth laying Onions and Garlic out in a sunny spot to finish drying. You can always put them all in the freezer and dehydrate later when you have the time or inclination.
The dehydrator is a boon this time of year with an allotment. I used to dehydrate shedloads of grated courgette and summer squash to use in cakes, omlettes and soups through the winter. Any damaged Winter Squash can be cubed cooked and dehydrated. Too many Parsnips and Beetroot? Make some dehydrated crisps.:D Hoping to be in back in the growing game soon!

She'd dried the onions at the allotment before bringing them home to store before I got round to them, some maybe weren't dry enough or maybe moisture got in some other way. Got the first batch on the trays, checked them this morning and they seem to be taking longer to do but no biggy. After the onions I've got a load of chillies to do... and so it goes on.

She'd dried the onions at the allotment before bringing them home to store before I got round to them, some maybe weren't dry enough or maybe moisture got in some other way. Got the first batch on the trays, checked them this morning and they seem to be taking longer to do but no biggy. After the onions I've got a load of chillies to do... and so it goes on.
There's always something to do Bam

Back