• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Online route planning?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
I've been trying to plan a route for my recce to Galloway Forest

What I'd like to do is be able to
  • Plot a path along tracks which are not necessarily roads
  • Place multiple pins to identify various locations for camping or interest
  • Be able to print out map & satellite images of the same map
  • Be able to set parts of the route to driving or walking
  • Be able to use the maps (on phone) in offline mode
  • Share the information via exporting gxp data

Google Maps
Pros:
  • Pretty accurate in terms of estimations of driving times
  • Switchable between map and satellite views
Cons:
  • Doesnt allow you to plot routes along non-'road' tracks
  • Doesnt allow you to place multiple pins to tag locations
Google Earth
Pros:
  • Allows multiple pins to tag locations
Cons:
  • Doesnt allow plotting a route (as far as I can see)
I know there are various other options like
  • OS Maps
  • Map My Hike
  • Viewranger

Does anyone have advice or recommendations?

Ta muchly

Try RAC route planner or circuit route planer Paul 👍 both are apps don’t know if you can access them on google?

I went out today for a wee walk and thought I'd try viewranger.
However, I couldnt figure out how to start a track (I know now though) so I tracked it in Map My Hike, exported the gpx file and imported into Viewranger.
I think the gpx file loses some of the accuracy as I certainly wasnt walking in straight lines as it appears here. (actually this is down to the tollerance that you set when importing the gpx)
It seems pretty good and has several maps to choose from. Here are a couple of examples from today's walk.

I use MapMyRun to log training and find it really good, you can create routes and export them although it does get a little arsy if you stray.

i have a pretty good GPs tracker might be worth a look, the software that comes with it you can record pretty much anything you want

Thanks Al.
I've been playing with both OS maps and Viewranger to compare the two as both have most of the features I was looking for.
It seems the main difference is in what Viewranger calls 'Route Generation' which can be set to Off, Auto, Foot, Bike and Car and can automatically set a route if there is a type of path present on a section of the route.
On OS maps you need to take out a subscription to get this function (if I'm understanding it correctly)
e.g. plotting the same start and end point on OS maps (left) just gives a straight route whereas Viewranger (right) with the route generation set to auto follows the trail until it cant find one and then goes in a straight line.
So, I think on a comparison of Google Maps, OS Maps and Viewranger then Viewranger seems to have the edge.
As far as I can see the only thing Viewranger doesn't have is the ability to set walking/driving for different parts of the route which is not really a big problem.

I think in the video it said there was an option to snap to trail ? also I thought you could set different sections to different transport, I'll have to watch again :)

Yea the OS Maps 'snaps path routing' only applies to some areas of the UK and is only available to premium subscription users. (@ 3:08)

Back