• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Only Because I'm Bored

Joecole

Very Obsessed
90 % Of you should easily be able to work out what it's going to be so the real question is for all the woodsperts on here. What kind of wood is it
20200602_171720.jpg

[QUO ="Ark79, post: 330801, member: 796"]
Birch?
[/QUOTE]
Well Mark birch definitely grows in the same country but so do cabbages:lol:

If it's elm that's a tad embarrassing as i'm currently making a chair out of the stuff
The original London bridge was built on elm piles and if memory serves me right they were still good after about 150 years so your chair should be fine5

Well the bits of elm might not be that old but they have lain around the workshop for long enough which is why i went with it

very close, one thing I can confirm is that it's not Baytree
Funny you should say that but i've passed on some bay to a friend to have a play on his lathe. Didn't turn out too bad. I also gave him some msgnolia which turned pretty easily but was pretty bland looking.

Magnolia like lilac is a bit prone to splitting. You were correct the wood in question is ash seasoned for 2 years and a bit like cutting stone

I've worked in hardwoods most of my life although it's been predominately oak. One of the hardest and most unkind to tools was a tropical hardwood called babinga , horrible stuff blunted tools just by looking at them. To be honest i'm not very good with identifying tropical woods. Running joke is that it gets identified as SAS , stands for "some african (ahem) stuff" or words to that effect.

Back