• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Open end and block end feeders

Joecole

Very Obsessed
During the colder months I use both depending on conditions. Block end as it suggests is enclosed at both ends and is usually used when fishing maggot baits. I normally use this method in running water and depending on the strength of the flow is what decides the length of my hook link but never more than 18 inches.

My weapon of choice on still water is the open end feeder with a hook link of about 12 inches. The open end is used with what ever choice of ground bait you want mixed with some of whatever your going to put on the hook. My method is not that well known but it works for me, half fill the feeder with ground bait packed in fairly tightly then place your hook complete with bait into the feeder and finish packing with ground bait. This will ensure that your baited hook is always in a little pile of ground bait.

When feeder fishing block or open end accuracy of casting is important so here is a little exercise for you. Get 3 buckets or something similar and put them about 5 meters apart making sure the first bucket is about 10 yards away. tie a 1/4 oz bomb on the end of your line and start casting. when you can consistently drop the bomb in the first bucket then move on to the next and so on.

All these techniques I have told you about are what I used to use when I was on the German match circuit many years ago. my last big match was the BAOR open fished at Petershagen near Minden back in 78 when I took 1st place and heaviest fish which happened to be a 2kilo 700 bream taken on a 16 hook on 11/2 lb BS hook link fishing a block end feeder with a single yellow maggot on the hook

I use a small method feeder rig with a ground bait mix ( containing sweetcorn bits) with a shot hook length of about four inches on a size 12 hook with single or double corn kernels presented … this sits close to the dissipating ground bait and works well for me although I’ve never fished competitively 😁👍

Use to use the open end feeders (cage feeder) stuff one end with ground bait and then a few pieces of corn in the middle, and more ground bait to seal the other end of …..

The trick with this (and the most important part) is to get the consistency right with the ground bait, to much water and it will stick to the cage, to little and it will fall out on impact….. once casting you will have to feel it down, once on the bottom I gave it a little tug to empty it and pull the hook towards the bait …… however it’s a crap rig for silt and weed….. much better for clay or gravel 👍🏻

it was my go to rig for my local pond until they changed the layout of the pond bed 🤷🏼‍♂️ Caught my PB on this rig 13lb ghosty

I use a small method feeder rig with a ground bait mix ( containing sweetcorn bits) with a shot hook length of about four inches on a size 12 hook with single or double corn kernels presented … this sits close to the dissipating ground bait and works well for me although I’ve never fished competitively 😁👍
If your using particle baits Rob there not going to spread out so far from the feeder so Your method is fine. Sweet corn fished close into the margins with a 10 or 12 barbless is a killer bait for carp where I fish

Back