• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ordered these

lovelife82

Extremely Talkative
Just ordered these with some of my birthday money. Think they are pretty good. Especially the price of the mat at only £27 cheapest is £40+ elsewhere. The boots are “junior” but go up to a size 6.5 and down from £55 to £23 in the sale :D Do you guys think they are good purchases?

Attachments

• 8384E19A-3FCC-490A-8009-4136714DBD50.jpeg
    8384E19A-3FCC-490A-8009-4136714DBD50.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 98
  • E87791C7-633E-41AD-9154-193E9B61C82F.jpeg
    E87791C7-633E-41AD-9154-193E9B61C82F.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 088AA0FD-F55B-4A1C-97A6-09AD8F75CA22.jpeg
    088AA0FD-F55B-4A1C-97A6-09AD8F75CA22.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 100
The great thing about having small feet is not paying VAT on footwear and still finding your sizes at the end of a sale....
Birthday money?...that takes me back...

The great thing about having small feet is not paying VAT on footwear and still finding your sizes at the end of a sale....
Birthday money?...that takes me back...

Exactly haha. I can get junior shoes for much less than women’s lol. Yup birthday money is great. The presents too hehe 😬

Oh dear, why buy boots Amanda, you don't need them at this point in your camping life, pair of trainers will be fine, pair of Croc clones for around camp (£3 a pair in Tesco). More and more hill walkers now hike in trainers or hiking sandals, a lot of folk on the TGO Challenge use trainers for this challenge.

Don't listen to the old farts who bang on about boots...unless its winter/rocky hills you don't need boots. Some go on about ankle support, truth is that 9 out of ten don't give ankle support. In fact at a woodland winter camp your best bet is a pair of wellies...thousands of Scandinavian winter campers use them.

The rest of your new stuff looks fine :) I'm thinking about camp recipes for you, I'll try and post some tonight.

The downside of being able to buy kids shoes is having to put up with all the Wee Jimmy Cranky jokes that you're going to get off me from now on.
Boots, not boots Hmm, moot point but the fact is that if you're doing any organised hike then boots are required kit by the organisers. I prefer boots and Harry is an even older old fart than me.:rofl:

Old duffers running it then boots are sooooo last year. Seriously I've got out as much as I'd like but pretty much dumped boots as have most of my camping/prepper buddies, just no need for them. They are part of the 'Bushcraft Uniform' along with green clothing but Naaa, winter hill walking yep, out come the boots but they just gather dust now at home. I don't think much of those lists to be honest, behind the times IMHO.

Ah well Harry, there is the difference between us, I virtually live in boots. Hiking boots, high tops or wellies. I don't own any trainers.

Ah well Harry, there is the difference between us, I virtually live in boots. Hiking boots, high tops or wellies. I don't own any trainers.

My normal cutting about footwear is lightweight suede type walking boots, if I'm walking the dug I've got a scabby old pair of Haix combat boots that are falling to bits, if I'm out walking/camping I wear a decent pair of the Haix. I like to rock it old skool it seems.

#coolkidzwearboots :lol:

It all comes down to personal preference. We can all wear what we want and what feels comfortable. For me I’ve torn my ligaments twice in my left ankle so wanted some kind of support and they were cheap enough at £23.

Haha I like the hashtag Andy 😬

Slightly similar issue for me as well, I had a rotational fracture of my heel which still effects my plantar ligament in my right heel. I'm fine while walking but it's agony after I've been on my feet and then been sat down for a while.
I tend to look after my feet as much as possible but I'm not for giving up hiking yet.

I have one pair of boots and that's my only footwear. Everyone else in the house has 10 pairs each! The porch is like a mini shoe shop with them all on display 😐

I'm with the boots side of the fence. I do understand the advantage of trainers, less weight then the less your leg is lifting every step, making big energy savings - great for the nimble. I'm not nimble and more effort is frankly a good thing for me on trips as I need the exercise... Regardless, in the middle of a boulder field or a in sticky bog I'm always glad to be wearing boots - Easy to lose a trainer in a bog!

"It all comes down to personal preference. We can all wear what we want and what feels comfortable. For me I’ve torn my ligaments twice in my left ankle so wanted some kind of support and they were cheap enough at £23 " You won't get any ankle of worth with those. Some high leg para boots offer more support.

I live in Crocs day to day, the most comfortable footwear known to mankind :) Comy, if they get wet they are dry in minutes. I've got boots just don't use them but I do like a good quality shoe, must be all leather...I could have had two weeks in Spain for what I spent two pairs of shoes made by Church's, one pair brown and one pair black but they are stunning and will be around long after me I'm sure...they were a treat from me to me :)

"It all comes down to personal preference. We can all wear what we want and what feels comfortable. For me I’ve torn my ligaments twice in my left ankle so wanted some kind of support and they were cheap enough at £23 " You won't get any ankle of worth with those. Some high leg para boots offer more support.

I live in Crocs day to day, the most comfortable footwear known to mankind :) Comy, if they get wet they are dry in minutes. I've got boots just don't use them but I do like a good quality shoe, must be all leather...I could have had two weeks in Spain for what I spent two pairs of shoes made by Church's, one pair brown and one pair black but they are stunning and will be around long after me I'm sure...they were a treat from me to me :)

I've got decent 'civvy shoes' for when I need to dress nice, I've got trainers for that odd 'rush of shit to the brains' when I go out for a run with the missus and I've got the boots I mentioned earlier that I spend most of my outdoor time in. In the house I'm a shorts/T shirt and 'pussers thick' kind of a cat although I do have a scabby old set of light walking boots with the laces only done half way that I slip into if I'm needing to nip out and the ground is wet, probably similar to your Crocs.

I generally kick around in approach shoes/trainers but wear boots for work. Properly laced boots do provide more support on anything but the gentlest ground. On descents especially boots stop the foot sliding forwards and impacting on the toes which can cause bruising.

The only question I’d consider ref children’s boots is that I’ve read that they can be built on a slightly different weight range and that they may not provide similar support for an adult who is more muscular and therefore heavier for the same shoe size. But that might be the manufacturers justify the price hike which is generally more than just the VAT.

Another vote for boots here for similar reasons as you LL. I like the support a pair of boots affords over rough ground. Other footwear for other activities, it's all personal preference rather than the latest fad. :)

Support is a must. Had a motorcycle accident 5 years ago and my right foot was rotated 180,spiral fracture up most of tibia. Needless to say my ankle has not been quite the same since. Using YDS falcons at the moment. Once they are worn out I'll buy the next boots I can find under £40.

Boots often have good soles, Vibram etc but so do assult shoes/sandals.

Some years ago, Nike did research into the best style of running shoe in terms of of overall foot support etc, much to their surprise and embarrassment it turns out that running barefoot is the best solution all round...thats a step too far for me although I often go barefoot about the house.

Back