• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Other interests and hobbies?

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
There are times in the Winter months when the weather...... and the mood....... just don't give you the will or enthusiasm to go outdoors.
To overnight....shoot......fish.....garden or whatever.

What other interests and hobbies do folks have?

I'm into my football, like to get along on a saturday (or whenever) and I watch a fair bit of TV. To be honest, the cold and miserable weather doesn't stop me getting out, I quite like the different challenges of being out in crap weather.

There are times in the Winter months when the weather...... and the mood....... just don't give you the will or enthusiasm to go outdoors.
To overnight....shoot......fish.....garden or whatever.

What other interests and hobbies do folks have?
As strange as it might sound Al I write poetry and have quite a few poems published on an international forum

I don't really get much of a choice about going out in crap weather, I do most of my felling across the winter and the sheep need much more attention over the winter months. I don't mind being cold or wet but I try to avoid getting cold and wet. Personally, I find Summer much harder to cope with Winter.
My bees are my main hobby but they're very much a Spring/Summer thing.

Funny you mention this. I've just pulled out the knitting needles as it's one of my main winter hobbies. I need a new pair of fingerless gloves.:) and I can knit away while I watch all the carp on TV.:lol:

Funny you mention this. I've just pulled out the knitting needles as it's one of my main winter hobbies. I need a new pair of fingerless gloves.:) and I can knit away while I watch all the carp on TV.:lol:
:lol::fedup:
I know you like fishing Annie but I would have thought watching carp could get a bit boring

Do like my movies and TV series kind of things, when I was in the UK I was getting pretty good at pub pool did make a few quid now and then , but no interest over here in France, maybe a bit of 10 pin bowling chucked in there , and as many casual interactions with the lovely French maids over here ( the last one is what i want to do not what I ACTUALLY do, but one can dream i suppose).

For the film peps out there worth a look at these links, any pop ups that will "pop up" just keep clicking them away and the film will start eventually!

it does get annoying with the pops ups but they do work

aquavogue_170_black__88186.1551440401.jpg

Does your TV look like this ????? :p

Most of my hobbies are in the outdoors class, shooting of any sort, whittling and wood carving and the like. My two less related interests / hobbies are analysing data for citizen science projects (I actually have my name on a scientific journal for being part of a team that discovered a binary pulsar) and photography which has the benefit of earning me a very small secondary income (every little helps especially if you enjoy it :) )

Ham radio (year round), reading, cooking, music. I love shooting but not done it for a while and am still weapon free (need to think on that one). 2020 is get off my ass year and get back to four season hill walking/camping, no excuse really, I've a shed load of kit so just need to DO IT.

I am doing a bit of model engineering. A few photos attached. One of the traction engine I am building from scratch and a couple of an old "skip find" engine I have managed to get going and an old stationary c.1923 engine.
traction engine.JPG
WP_20161006_11_55_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20160819_11_53_46_Pro.jpg
DSC_0113.JPG

I am doing a bit of model engineering. A few photos attached. One of the traction engine I am building from scratch and a couple of an old "skip find" engine I have managed to get going and an old stationary c.1923 engine.View attachment 19307View attachment 19308View attachment 19309View attachment 19310

That brought back some memories :thumbsup:
My cousin has an old model steamroller that we use to play with when I was a kid. That was around 32 years ago. God knows how old the steam engine is.

Back