• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Out again ......

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Al and I made it out this weekend for a hammock camp at Brockwell Woods near Newcastle , we met up,Friday afternoon with plans to eat drink and unwind ........

The weather forecast wasn’t great and we were expecting rain , Luckily Al had a 4x4 tarp that we adopted as an admin shelter . December the first is the beginning of the meteorological winter , we were packed for cold weather but it was looking likely to stay mild.

Camp was set up , hammocks sighted and fire area organised , all that remained was to crack upen the whiskey and get relaxing .......

Al surpassed himself with a roasted pork joint on Friday and a campfire stew for Saturday, I started the day with the breakfast of champions ......

Here’s a few pics for you to enjoy ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Now yous boys are a pair of luck sod’s :D I am in now way jealous :xmas-tongue:

Great pictures and it looked like an amazing camp......the picture of the breakfast made my mouth water :D

Way to go guys .......good on you both.

Nice set ups and location.
You certainly ate and drank well.
Excellent pictures and write up......thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to your post and pictures Al.

So as said, Friday afternoon saw us get to our usual bolt hole Brockwell Woods, hammocks and tarps were set up including the extra 4x4 DD as admin area, fire was lit and drink was flowing well, too well it happens ;) So evening was soon upon us and I had taken a boneless half pork leg to cook, we settled in for a long ish slow cook.

Twas rather tasty with a nice bit of crackling, a generous helping of mustard to boot :) we turned in fairly early, full and content ( read drunk ) in my case ;) The next morning bought the rain that was forecast, we decided to move the admin tarp.

And fire was alive again, even after the light rain we had embers under the ashes, we sat under the tarp most of the day, sharpening knives, slow cooking the stew and just general chit chat, I didn't take any pictures of my Snugpak Cocoon, as seen in Rob's picture but wow, toastie warm, too warm, it saw me have to get out of my sleeping bag and cool off in the night, best suited to either colder nights or couple it with maybe just an inner or 1 season bag. I was experimenting with various bits and bob's and have come to the conclusion that Rob had the best cooking solution of the weekend with his frying pan one pan meals.

All in all a cracking weekender, again, looking forward to a cold one in the New Year :)

Morning Al :xmas-cool:

Thanks for adding more pictures of your outing mate.
That pork and crackling must have been lovely.....can almost taste it.............. and smell it cooking :D
Breakfast looks good too!!

I like the little grill you have there.....very useful and nifty bit of kit👍

Hope the Hangover cleared quickly after the Breakfast :D:D:xmas-cool:

Look forward to hearing about your next trip.....will you be returning to the wood??

Hi Bill the grill works well as you can just pick it up and move it around to suit heat requirements, the hangover cleared, eventually lol, next trip, who knows where, they've sorted the tracks out so it is possible to drive to your pitch meaning go in heavy lol, but we#ll see when the time comes as to where we'll go ?

Yes...I can understand what you mean re the grill......great for regulating your heat and cooking temprature.....no more charcoaled sausages eghh :D

I don't think it will matter where you and Rob end up........you obviously work well as a team and enjoy each others company 👍
Hearing about the Cocoon........I expect you are both chomping at the bit for a nice camp in the snow.................fingers crossed for you both on that score :)

Yep, Rob has his Mountain Man breakfast down to a T, gonna copy his one pan technique next year :D also adaptable to other meals ;)

Back