• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

out and about

lol

Extremely Addicted
Misty and chilly today...........tomorrow the homeward leg (6 hrs) of the last boat trip of this season, but a nice walk along the shore was had yesterday (Burnham on Crouch to Creeksea?)

...some piccies in case I get told off.............., but I'm no Saxonaxe:D

oops some have dropped off? Like so many things.....................:(

AND in the wrong thread:mad:- good morning and perhaps good night!!! Sorry?

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_072242.jpg
    IMG_20210917_072242.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20211009_153051 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211009_153051 (2).jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20211009_153442 1 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211009_153442 1 (2).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 80
  • VID_20211009_094222_exported_33 (2).jpg
    VID_20211009_094222_exported_33 (2).jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I have very fond memories of that area Lol. I came home from the Caribbean in 2004 and needed somewhere to Winter, I sailed up to the East Coast and found a friendly Yard at West Mersea. I was given a swinging mooring out in the channel alongside the old Oyster Sheds where I could live aboard until Spring.
I loved it. The Marshes and bird life, rowing ashore to the cafe and trips into town for stores. Cold though, with the Nor'Easterly off the North Sea. The little wood stove aboard glowed all Winter with burning driftwood..:D

Exactly (?) where my mooring was for (decades) until 2 years ago............. to the Stour/Orwell confluence.............:thumbsup:

Hi Lol.

I must have missed some of this......where did you sail from.......how long has your voyage taken.......were you single handed?

Nice pictures :thumbsup:

There wasn't anything to miss.......we, my partner and I, decided at short notice to strike south to Burnham for a few days, from near Harwich where the boat is now kept (moved from Mersea a couple of years ago..)

Hadn't been to Burnham for a couple of years? Now waiting for sunrise to cast off and make the return.....bloody chilly:eek:

As an aside, my elder brother (69) last night has just done his first walk in wild camp!! Even a later starter than I,:rofl::rofl:

Safe voyage Lol.......nice to hear your Brother is Wild Camping.....do you live close by to each other?

Safe voyage Lol.......nice to hear your Brother is Wild Camping.....do you live close by to each other?
No......seems though he thoroughly enjoyed it...somewhere on some Surrey heath...he phoned me whilst we were blasting back on the boat...amazingly sailed almost point to point...that NEVER happens on coastal passages!!

Attachments

• IMG_20211011_071512.jpg
    IMG_20211011_071512.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20211011_080204.jpg
    IMG_20211011_080204.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20211011_094611.jpg
    IMG_20211011_094611.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20211011_094623.jpg
    IMG_20211011_094623.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20211011_094633.jpg
    IMG_20211011_094633.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 68
A much nicer area than the South Coast I think, and as a visitor I found it interesting..." Why is that Sea Gull standing up when I'm a mile offshore?"...:lol:

There wasn't anything to miss.......we, my partner and I, decided at short notice to strike south to Burnham for a few days, from near Harwich where the boat is now kept (moved from Mersea a couple of years ago..)

Hadn't been to Burnham for a couple of years? Now waiting for sunrise to cast off and make the return.....bloody chilly:eek:

As an aside, my elder brother (69) last night has just done his first walk in wild camp!! Even a later starter than I,:rofl::rofl:
Hey just wanted to cut in here.

Hi LOL

Fantastic pictures. For your blokes those chill clear skies speak winter misery but from where I sit I can almost feel the freshness coming off my device and cooling us...

Is that sky picture of a 'tube cloud' or an aircraft contrail?

I'm no sea dog, but I want to know about that boat. How long is it and how many berth? What is the construction and how is it powered. Do you make long voyages in it?

Must be fun being able to hop aboard, cast off and just go. The ultimate prepper bug out...🤣

I love reading sax's nautical reminiscences. Its a comfort there are people still around with those kinds of extraordinary experiences and that the world hasn't dulled into a place where folks are all just fixated on digital devices. Sax's recollections put me in mind of Conrad's Lord Jim.

Best to all

Alan

Hey just wanted to cut in here.

Hi LOL

Fantastic pictures. For your blokes those chill clear skies speak winter misery but from where I sit I can almost feel the freshness coming off my device and cooling us...

Is that sky picture of a 'tube cloud' or an aircraft contrail?

I'm no sea dog, but I want to know about that boat. How long is it and how many berth? What is the construction and how is it powered. Do you make long voyages in it?

Must be fun being able to hop aboard, cast off and just go. The ultimate prepper bug out...🤣

I love reading sax's nautical reminiscences. Its a comfort there are people still around with those kinds of extraordinary experiences and that the world hasn't dulled into a place where folks are all just fixated on digital devices. Sax's recollections put me in mind of Conrad's Lord Jim.

Best to all

Alan
Oh gosh...not sure this is the right thread, but here goes, :thumbsup:......

Saxonaxe is the true voyager...I'm just a coastal cruiser in a French plastic blob..............
It's a Feeling 286, theoretically sleeps 6, but well suited for a couple, for extended trips....MASSIVE aft cabin..we do up to about 3 weeks living on board. She is a fast coastal cruiser, North Sea, Channel, that sort of stuff? GRP. (8.5 metres, 28'6", nowadays a piddly thing....)
-Photo is a contrail
Yup getting chilly now for this woos....probably last trip of the season, but what a sail to finish on....:eek::thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more with you re: Sax......see also the thread (link) concerning the 80 year old lady who has done a 600 mile ride EVERY year since 1972 somewhere on this forum. Very uplifting....

I want another canoe/wild camp before the real bleugh weather sets in......o_O:thumbsup::D

oooh forgot to add, she has an 18hp inboard diesel (under saloon table in photo) driving a self pitching/feathering prop

Attachments

• foxy saloon 2.JPG
    foxy saloon 2.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 62
  • New Home Shotley 2020.jpg
    New Home Shotley 2020.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 51
Doesn't matter what boat you sail Lol, at least you go to sea in yours, some never leave a marina. As far as sailing areas are concerned, don't do yourself down mate, inshore waters and coastal sailing can be a lot more testing than Ocean crossing. There are no rocks to hit mid Ocean...unless you're really lost and hit somewhere like the Azores...:rofl:

2 foot under the keel on the east coast is "loads a room!!" :rofl:
Doesn't matter what boat you sail Lol, at least you go to sea in yours, some never leave a marina. As far as sailing areas are concerned, don't do yourself down mate, inshore waters and coastal sailing can be a lot more testing than Ocean crossing. There are no rocks to hit mid Ocean...unless you're really lost and hit somewhere like the Azores...:rofl:
Whales, containers.............:rofl:

" Whales, containers.." :thumbsup:

It's a wet Monday afternoon, I've had my 'Flu jab this morning and as I've got else to do I'll make a little post on hitting things that float in the Ocean.
Under Exploring, but probably should be under Survival...it nearly was for Sax that voyage...:lol:

Back