• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pack Question

nolightweight

Slightly Talkative
Hi, folks.

Thought I'd throw this out to the wise, knowledgeable, experienced and fresher eyed amongst the forum. Anyone struggling at this point might know someone who is...

Anyroadup. Bit of pack history. I've had, in the past, Berghaus Vulcan, Alice pack (medium and large, and did the Hellcat/Alleycat mod to them), Karrimor Sabre 45 and side pouches, a 40ltr patrol pack similar to the NI pack but with zips for side pouches, Lowe Alpine Sting and currently have a Sabre 75 and Predator 45. All the others got moved on in part or as a whole over time for various reasons.

With me so far?

Getting to the point.

What's the preference amongst your good selves, a smaller pack with pouches added and 'tightly' loaded, or a larger volume pack that reduces down enough but has wriggle room should need arise?

See below, both packs loaded with exactly the same, slackly done to a degree but for illustration porpoises.

Cheers

NLW

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_182648_760.jpg
    IMG_20210902_182648_760.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210902_181900_562.jpg
    IMG_20210902_181900_562.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 81
I suppose the volume/size of the pack would depend on what you want to carry with you...... and how long you are out for.
Large or small....personally much prefer a pack with side pouches and top storage on the lid.
Nothing worse IMO than having dig in.... or half empty.... a pack to look for something I need there and then.
Better to have something you can compartmentalise to separate your bits and bobs.......if any of that makes any sense 🤔

Nice packs by the way :thumbsup:

i'm with Willie on this, organize into compartments, same configuration: two large side pockets and a lid with one or two generous compartments. i've found an allocation for those pockets that suits me and i always pack them the same. saves having to look for things (most of the time) and i never have to think where something belongs when i'm packing up.

for a day out or relatively modest load i've found the NI Patrol Pack (in DPM) to pretty much be the bee's knees. the shoulder straps are a bit shit but that's a quibble. i'm going to put mine on an LK35 frame because i have a thing for external frames.

dpm-patrol-pack.jpg

for a larger load i find that for my needs flexibility is the #1 requirement. that is largely because i do a fair amount of wood salvage: half the time i'm packing a load of findings out of the woods so my rig needs to accommodate that. i need to be able to carry everything from a stump to a load of wind-fall cuttings. so for me a large bucket -- with the obligatory side pockets of course -- with large DIY cinch straps on a large frame does the job. currently that large frame is a Finnish beast from the 1970s (or whatever). it's a bit of a pig but i can easily strip off the bag and use the frame alone if needs be and for now that does the job. i'm part-way through making my own frame out of ash -- and thereby shave off a kilo or so of weight -- but that's a work in progress with no visible end date.

finnish-external-frame-pack-latter-20th-C-in-use_back-view.jpg

and no, that's not me in the picture. :D

Thanks for the replies, gents.

I guess a more succinct way of putting it might have been (for example) 75 ltrs as one bucket where everything fits easy or 45 ltrs + 2 x 12 ltrs separated as pockets and having to be a bit more canny in packing. I don't have loose bits rattling round, FAK is kept together, possibles are kept together etc. I'm not one for hanging and strapping stuff outside either. I've faired better packing the Predator than I have the Sabre 45 and happier there.

Thanks again.

I'm just thinking ..."nice packs..."?
Not that I know diddly, but would tend to concur with 1Shot.
I have...and love...a modified LK35 on an alloy frame and a few other tweaks; indeed I am a bit besotted with it, but just recently tried my Sting for the 1st time (not too much carrying as in a canoe), but was blown away with it, just superb. My LK........oooh dare I say it? Nah, it'll sulk..........

I’m going the other way; I’d go for a larger pack that you can cinch down. You can solve the organisation problem with dry bags, which I’d be using inside pockets even if I went the other route. Part of my reasoning is that I’ve seen people adding pouches to a smaller pack which means you end up with a pack carrying more weight than it’s designed for. It also means you don’t need quite so many packs which may not be a plus point for some people.

if you do go for a larger pack then you also need to go for some self-discipline.

I thought/think that's the same way? I agree with you anyway and 1 shot! :rofl:

Gents.

Many thanks again for your considered and valid points, from both perspectives.

I've packed and used both methods in the past, and both have their positive and negative points. Also factor in personal preference and prior experience to people's opinions, but I feel I've had better input here than I would have received elsewhere.

Nice one, gents.

I think the two packs you have now.... cover you for just about any situation.

The smaller of the two perfect for lightweight Summer camping and/or day trips when a tarp shelter or the likes will do.
The second larger one ideal for the Winter months when we generally carry more gear/clothing to cope with the conditions.....maybe a bulkier sleeping bag and small tent etc.......not to mention food and Beer :D

You have good mix and match combination IMHO....and the most important thing is....you are happy....it suits your particular needs......"happy trails" :thumbsup:

Assuming they both FIT properly, as well............:D

There is that @lol :rofl:

My yomping days are way behind me.....so I could get away with a tin dustbin and some string and gaffer tape.......and that would just be dragged out of the car..... at camp :whistle: :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: lol
Assuming they both FIT properly, as well............:D
Good point, that. The 75 fits well, I've not had the Predator for long, and word elsewhere was the waist belt was an issue (too high up and not padded) but I took a chance and not found either issue a problem. If anything, trying both on with a similar load I found no difference to mention, if anything the 75 felt over padded. Waist belt on the Predator could do with being a bit longer to accommodate extra layers but ok as is.

Reactions: lol
Back