• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Packing a Bergen. How do you fit it all in?

Jesus! That's a big doss bag:eek:
Mind you, I don't know how big mine would be if I included the bivi bag with it.

I still haven't got round to sorting this out yet, been far too busy selling stuff on ebay and sorting the main problem with the car that I feared might let me down on the long journey, the accelerator cable, which, after about 180,000miles had a few strands missing, so it was replaced today. The CV joints will just have to wait until after the event:D (As will the well overdue service:eek:)

From many years of experience of packing a bergan i really don't think that there is a set down (SOP) standard operating proceedure, there is a guide line to follow which you apply then adapt to your individual cercumstances, or the age old method of trial and error.but a few tips to take into consideration keep ya sleeping bag and spare clothing dry, by putting in dry bags or heavy dudy plastic bags (not bin bags they rip) use ya common sense what ya want first pack last. Try to visualise what your going to before you do it and pack accordingly.

Just my thoghts seem ta have worked for me for xxxxxyears

I agree with Rob, you will find a method that suits you, but remember to "keep dry what needs to stay dry".......a big thick sleep bag will take days to dry out if gotten wet, so please make sure this stays dry. If you are struggling to get everything in your bergen try and drop the "little luxuries" just take things needed!!!

That's exactly what I'm doing Rob, just deciding whether to have a brew before or after setting up camp. I think keeping the Kelly kettle reasonably accessible will be a good idea, then I can get that on while I am sorting out the tarp. I'm not so sure about the sleeping bag now, that might go in the middle somewhere or packed in loose, inside it's bivi bag to keep it dry, then I can kind of shove it in around everything else.
Like you say mate, trial and error. I'll soon find out how good or bad I've done when I get to the meet :)

Ian have you got the straps at the bottom of your bergen, or at the top, green strap type things with plastic clips?....if so wrap your sleep bag in something waterproof and strap to the top or bottom after everything else is packed!

There don't seem to be straps top or bottom. There are places to add luggage straps on the top (cant find anything much on the bottom:confused:), which is where I plan on putting my roll mat. I'm aiming to keep the sleeping bag inside TBH mate, mainly because if I can, I want to strap the Czech bed roll to the bottom and use this as an extra layer but this depends on what the temperature is going to be and if I can carry it all. There's a fair old weight in two heavy sleeping bags, not to mention all the other stuff!

Firm believer on getting everything insde the bergan IT CAN BE DONE on the outside no matter how well ya wrap it up it will get wet, then we have the issue of walking with kit strapped to the outside , gets caught in things. drop of, gets caught up in something and gets pulled of, bump bump bump as ya walking along that really pIXXXX me of, the only thing i have on the outside is my roll mat thats if i decide to use one

This will be a bit of a special occasion for me so I will be taking a few items I would ideally be leaving at home usually. Stuff like the Kelly kettle (I could just use the billy cans but I want to look all posh:eek:), the extra sleeping bag, the cider, wood and maybe coal (these will probably have to be carried separately) are not essential and if I had to walk far they would be left at home. There is still a good bit of room though and with some re jigging I can make plenty of room for clothes and food.

Ya don't have to walk far, kelly kettle a must quick brew in the morning, cider VERY IMPORTANT BIT OF KIT, pack then repack it will fit.

May the packing force be with you youg Ian

Jesus! That's a big doss bag:eek:
Mind you, I don't know how big mine would be if I included the bivi bag with it.

I still haven't got round to sorting this out yet, been far too busy selling stuff on ebay and sorting the main problem with the car that I feared might let me down on the long journey, the accelerator cable, which, after about 180,000miles had a few strands missing, so it was replaced today. The CV joints will just have to wait until after the event:D (As will the well overdue service:eek:)

Thats just sleeping bag, no bedroll, hammock, basha :(

My packing list.............. MSS on outside in waterproof bag, tarp kit, cook kit, food, change cloths all in individual roll top waterproof bags inside.............. beer extra food and swaps in second bag........... the rest I will bull$hit as I go..............

used to carry way too much but have reduced down to a new kit:
Czech bedroll, green survival bag, cook kit, tinder kit, axe, knife, saw & firesteel. also first aid kit, small ration pack (tea,coffee, sugar, dried milk, flour, salt, cuppa soup, dried fruit and nuts) compass,hobo fishing kit, catty and a change of clothes thats it all in a 40 lt canvas rucksack. The rest of my kit I have traded or donated to the missus.

Have a great weekend all, at least you have the weather with you. looking forward to the photos.

Back