• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Part 2

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Today I took my little Meths stove with me, curious to see how it compares with the BCB Gel stove I tried recently. This stove is really a commercial stainless steel 'Pop Can' stove. Double walled with a row of holes round the top, I've used it a lot with a Path Finder pot in the past. The stove is compact and fits in it's case into the Mug I was using...Courtesy of Mr Tesco or maybe Mrs Asda..can't remember, it's £1 micro wave job complete with snap on lid. I've Doctored it by sticking pieces of tin foil baking tray to the outside and lid which hjas boosted it's thermal properties easily by 50%. I performed surgery on the lip round the edge too because drinking was a very dribbly business before I cut the edge away in one place.
DSCF5561.jpg

DSCF5567.jpg

DSCF5566.jpg

DSCF5565.jpg

DSCF5564.jpg

One thing about this stove is, unless it is shielded from the wind it tends to burn like a Trangia Stove with a big flame, rather than go into gas jet mode via the little holes round the edge. That's ok but I found fuel consumption with the big flame was pretty hefty, much more fuel thirsty than when the jets are working when well sheltered from the wind.

Boil time was slightly long than the Gel stove,mostly I think because the jets were not working efficiently. In the shelter of a tent vestibule the Meths stove brews well, not so in a breeze unless well screened.

I was pleased to find a little patch of Self Heal growing at the base of a tree. This is flowering very early and has managed to avoid being cropped by the local sheep. Once a very important Herb, it's name indicates it's value. Used for wound healing, and even today for making Gargles for sore throats.
DSCF5568.jpg

Walking home through the wood I noticed the climbing creeper here is a rampant as that which grew in my wood back in Sussex. I might find another use for a section of it as the twists in it's structure appeals to me.
DSCF5531.jpg

I used a section of the same creeper to make a handle for my Leuku. I was pleased with the result and in spite of it being not an accepted material for knife handles I've found that it has withstood much hard use on my knife.
P1030674.jpg

P1040343.jpg

Typing finger is numb and it's dinner time now...:lol:

Attachments

• DSCF5561.jpg
    DSCF5561.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF5567.jpg
    DSCF5567.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF5566.jpg
    DSCF5566.jpg