• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

paying the price..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Speaking to one of my old mates today who still has connections, I was only half surprised to hear that the massive Remington Outdoor Goods Company are about to file for Bankruptcy. Once the Remington Arms Company founded in 1816 and run by family members for decades, in recent years they were taken over by wheelers and dealers who knew little about firearms manufacture. Almost inevitably the quality of some of the firearms produced under the new management deteriorated and their firearm designs tended towards the quick selling for the pretend.." I'm a Warrior type" with high capacity magazines, picatinny rails, folding stocks and all usually painted black or camo!!

The dreadful Sandy Hook School massacre in December 2014 when 20 little kids and 6 staff were killed by a nutter named Lanza, armed with a Bushmaster XM 15 E2S 5.56mm Assault style rifle has been largely quoted as the root cause of the changing attitude and opposition that is responsible for the impending Bankruptcy.
The Bushmaster was a Remington product marketed under the subsidiary name. More recent mass shootings have brought about US law changes and in some States weapons of the design are banned or only allowed in substantially altered form, no pistol grip, no detachable magazine etc:
Since that day the anti gun lobby has taken massive bites out of Remington's profits, and the law suits from Sandy Hook and other shootings with Remington manufactured weapons must equal the national debt of some small countries!!

Too late, a name change to 'Remington Outdoor Goods' selling camping gear and a switch back to making more firearms of a type favoured by their old customer base, the Hunting fraternity, has not stopped the slide towards the impending end of a famous name in American history.

A lot of their ammunition has a bad rep these days as well. I've never been much of a fan of the tactical look in what are essentially civilian firearms.
It's a pity when bean counters or fly by nights take over the running of a reputable company and ruin it in the name of short term profit.

The same financial group bought out Marlin Firearms too, or at least the control of the company. Some of the resulting Marlin guns were so notoriously badly finished that many US gun enthusiasts referred to them as "Remlins"... :lol: and they were to be avoided at all costs.
Whether there has been any improvement in the Marlin line since I'm not sure. We had to cut our conversation short but my mate said something to the effect that Remington were attempting to sell their name and certain 'rights' to would you believe...The Navajo people of the South West !! What is behind that idea I've no idea, apart from staving off complete bankruptcy of the historic name...

Well I do know for a fact that the Remington brand name has been applied to some of those cheap Chinese gun lamps so you can bet other branded Remington goods are no longer all American made.
Not that I'm knocking the Chinese manufacturing as a whole but cheaply made often equates to badly finished or poor quality products.

Back