• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Pellet Velocity & Improving Accuracy Guide

Guide Pellet Velocity & Improving Accuracy Guide

Cavatina

Very Addicted
Cavatina submitted a new resource:

Pellet Velocity & Improving Accuracy Guide - Guide For Pellet Velocity & Improving Accuracy

For quite some time I have had a theory which considers that pellets react differently at varying speeds in feet per second. (fps). The aerodynamics of a pellet are not that brilliant, so the effect of air pressure and turbulence when travelling at speed through the air must have a detrimental impact on the pellets trajectory and consistency.

We have often heard it said, "this pellet doesn't suit my gun", or, "that pellet is not compatible with my barrel". Is it non compatibility or non...

Read more about this resource...

I can see what you are trying to do, but it makes for very confusing reading when you mix up the air pressure in the gun's air storage cylinder with what you call the gun's "output pressure in ft/lbs". The gun doesn't have an "output pressure". The figure that is quoted in ft-lb (not ft/lbs)is the energy of the pellet leaving the muzzle. Pressure (usually measured in lbs/sq.inch or bar) has nothing to do directly with the muzzle energy - other than using a higher air pressure will make the pellet travel faster, and it's energy is a function of the velocity and the mass of the pellet. The legal limit (i.e. above which an FAC is require) is 12 foot-pounds force or 16 joules muzzle energy.

Thank you for your valued comments which I would like to answer as follows. I never referred to the gun's air storage cylinder pressure, and I don't agree that an air rifle does not have an output pressure. Even without a pellet in the barrel, firing the gun will produce pressure within the barrel, which you correctly point out would be measured in lbs/sq" . It is the output pressure of air leaving the cylinder and through the barrel that creates the movement of the pellet in the first instance. Whilst I agree that the energy of the pellet in ft/lbs, or ft.lb if I'm to be perfectly correct, is a combination of the velocity and mass of the pellet leaving the muzzle, I was however trying to simplify the test by not getting too involved in pellet mass and velocity. I believe when writing a report for a forum, it is important to avoid making articles too long winded, whilst at the same time, not creating confusion. Perhaps I should have made this article a little more detailed. In any event, thanks for your comments which I will bear in mind in future.

It's an old thread,but perfectly clear.
Cavatina did refer to the guns charge pressure and did it correctly in BAR,quite acceptable in my opinion.
And the ft/lbs or ft-lb is irrelevant its clearly referring to muzzle output.
And quite the contrary,the bar has a definite relevance to the output,you go below 90-100 bar cylinder pressure in most rifle's and see how it affects the muzzle energy is affected they are all related,and relative to each other!!
Also,only the knock open valve being held open longer has a direct affect on the muzzle velocity not the amount of air pressure beyond 90bar.
Good thread Cav,especially for newbies.

Reactions: Ian
Found this thread interesting BUT totally irrelevant :confused: especially for Newbies.Whom I expect it is aimed at anyway.

As the PCP guns available are not equipped with a power control valve.(Those that do are not fine adjustment but large leaps )So as the guns are of a fixed power output then the article should ahve been a bit more precise in its content.

That said it is I repeat intersting,but of course the conclusion you should be getting from this simple data is that pellets like barrels and rifling grooves all differ from one to the other.head diameter and skirt thickness,waist shape and head shape,smooth and ribbed.each peelet fired at the same velocity and the same spin will all exhibit different flight characteristics.and will all behave vastly different at different ranges because of wind sheer and atmospheric pressures on the day.

Given a standard power output lets say 11.5 fpe with the most Air efficient pellet.(PCP's go higher with heavy pellets and springers usually go higher with lighter weight pellets) the test needs to be done at three or four different ranges with a gun set at maximum and then results recorded and then the best pellet should be subjected to further testing with the method you describe but as the guns are fitted with anti tamper if they are PCP then it is totally impossible to do.So therefor that's when it becomes irrelevant.

A better article for newbies would have been how to test for the best pellet for their guns.Not just newbies but also old hands are not all clued up as to how to go about making an informed choice by testing properly.

I have known some pellets that will be accurate as hell out of one gun set at 10fpe yet go all to cock from the same gun at 11.5fpe,but the same tin of pellets would group their tightest from another barrel set at 11.5 fpe.This would indicate that it is not the power that the pellets do not like, But that from any particular gun that they will behave differently.It is not the pellets that vary in performance so much as each individual gun barrel:eek:That is whole idea of marrying a specific pellet to a barrel,because when a pellet is good, it is in my experience, usually good over a range of powers from the same barrel.The odd thing is that some pellets will be as good as each other up to a certain range, then the increase in range starts to tell a different story.In your tests could it be a case of ,Not so much the pellet reacting differently as the barrel behaving differently,with the harmonics altered by the power increase/decrease.Barrel harmonics are the single most destructive element in accuracy changes.And Harmonics change with power output therefor the behavior the pellet.

You say you wanted to keep it simple BUT this is not a simple subject, the science of the barrel harmonics and its affect on accuracy is a very complex one.Pellet Selection and how to go about it, is very easy on the other hand, and that should have been the article for newbies.

Back