• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pellets

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
After looking around for some decent ones I came across some H and N barracudas and found 2 identical tins but for 1 thing. 1 had 16J on the tin and the other had 25J o the tin. is that minimum power or maximum? my rifle is 19.9J

Last edited:
New one for me, I've always just had caliber and grain weight shown on my pellets but then again I've not used barracudas, I got on well enough with Weihrauch F&T and they seemed to suit my rifle unlike the RWS which actually do suit my little BSA pistol instead.
Horses for courses.

The 16J is for lower powered rifles i.e. 12ftlb.
Go for the 25J rated ones.....more suited to your 19.9J rifle.

we shall see (did order the wrong ones though DOH!)

Last edited:
For other reasons than Joecole's……….I'd chuck those out...………..

At that sort of magnification(400x) any defects will seem to worse than they actually are, I am hitting cans at 100feet ok, suggestions for a high-end pellet at 177 and they will be my next purchase

Hi Med.

Judging by the picture of the group you put up on here whilst using the JSBs I would say stick with them as the barrel of your rifle obviously likes them.....and they are a quality pellet.
The rifle seems to be doing its bit.......now it's time for you to improve your marksmanship skills.....practice.....practice....practice.

Shooting at the can is fun.....but for serious practice and honing your skills use proper targets.
Say 1x1 inch circle in the middle of A4 at 30yds to start and take 5 steady shots at the circle to form a group......always aim at the same place on your target.....even if you are off centre.......you can then tell from the shot pattern/group if you need to move the group by adjusting your scope, always try and shoot on a calm still day.
What reticle (sight picture when you look through the scope)have you got?
Is it one single large cross or a post with little dots on (Mil dots)

You must have put a few pellets through the barrel now.....so it would be a good time to clean it and re-lead it with 20 shots using the JSBs before you start your serious practising.
Cleaning the barrel isn't always needed unless accuracy starts to drop off.....but you have put a few different types through it now and some were not choice pellets, to be honest.....so start off clean and conditioned.

When you clean it DO NOT use oil inside the barrel or near the breech where you load the pellet.

Also check all your stock screws mount screws etc are still tight......do not over tighten any of them.

I will follow up this post with some Marksmanship principles that will help with your technique and accuracy at the target in a while.

Last edited:
At that sort of magnification(400x) any defects will seem to worse than they actually are, I am hitting cans at 100feet ok, suggestions for a high-end pellet at 177 and they will be my next purchase
if the jsb's work for you then stick with them

Hi Med.

Judging by the picture of the group you put up on here whilst using the JSBs I would say stick with them as the barrel of your rifle obviously likes them.....and they are a quality pellet.
The rifle seems to be doing its bit.......now it's time for you to improve your marksmanship skills.....practice.....practice....practice.

Shooting at the can is fun.....but for serious practice and honing your skills use proper targets.
Say 1x1 inch circle in the middle of A4 at 30yds to start and take 5 steady shots at the circle to form a group......always aim at the same place on your target.....even if you are off centre.......you can then tell from the shot pattern/group if you need to move the group by adjusting your scope, always try and shoot on a calm still day.
What reticle (sight picture when you look through the scope)have you got?
Is it one single large cross or a post with little dots on (Mil dots)

You must have put a few pellets through the barrel now.....so it would be a good time to clean it and re-lead it with 20 shots using the JSBs before you start your serious practising.
Cleaning the barrel isn't always needed unless accuracy starts to drop off.....but you have put a few different types through it now and some were not choice pellets, to be honest.....so start off clean and conditioned.

When you clean it DO NOT use oil inside the barrel or near the breech where you load the pellet.

Also check all your stock screws mount screws etc are still tight......do not over tighten any of them.

I will follow up this post with some Marksmanship principles that will help with your technique and accuracy at the target in a while.

Many thank sir, will start at 90feet using the JSB,s scope is 4-32 crosshair, it came with the rifle and I will be buying this one when finance permits.

I am assuming that is a step in quality and overall technical ability.

I have a got a few other pellets left so I will use those up first then clean the barrel. I had noticed that using the JSB, my fingers were going slightly grey, I have not washed any pellets as yet but the next tins that I get I will do so, after watching various youtube videos most suggest oiling the pellets after washing , will I be able to use the Napier gun oil spray that I got with the cleaning kit? or a special lube?

Thanks again for the help has improved accuracy a lot

will get a video done but those pesky bills do get in the way

For one I can only reiterate what I was taught and subsequently read:

Generally...….one should not wash pellets as that will cause more irregularities, and they will need thorough drying (more knocking about)
Generally...….one should not oil them, as this can cause "dieseling" and potential pressure damage to seals

But I expect from the more technical, there might be exceptions to all this?

Hi Med.

Glad you have found the input from us fellow shooters on the forum a help......... and are seeing improvements with your shooting. 👍

I think a lot of us have been down the washing and lubing path........... as far as pellets are concerned.
Done it myself as have a few friends I shoot with who also tried it.
To be absolutely honest it does not make that much noticeable difference............save yourself time and money.....don't bother.

If however, you want to try it for yourself make sure you use the Napier pellet lube and NOT the oil!!
I also used WD40......a very small amount sprayed into a plastic bag..........add the pellets to the bag after washing /drying........... and gently/slowly roll them around inside to coat them.

Even weighed each pellet and batched them for more serious target work.......I was very keen back then :rolleyes:

The JSB pellets are all lead....that is why you are getting dirty fingers.....dust from manufacture.........lead actually lines and lubricates your barrel.
Napier gun oil is fine.....or the gun wipes they make work well too for a wipe over and do last if you keep them in a bag.

Again.....DO NOT put any down the barrel or in the breech area where you load your pellet.

The Nikko scopes are good and the one you have chosen is ideal for you.......nice scope:)

The half Mil-Dot reticle is very fine.....but if you have good eyesight you shouldn't have any problems with it.
If you wear glasses I would lean more towards the Mil-Dot rather than the half.

Have fun using up your old pellets and be sure to keep us up to date with your shooting journey.:)👍

Reactions: lol
Back