• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pen knife blades.

Baytree

Quite Addicted
Probably like many on here I carry a penknife , mine's a Swiss army Spartan , and I have a question to ask and that is which blades do people use most or for that matter least or not at all.
On mine the small knife blade is used more often than the larger one and the second most used blade is the screwdriver/bottle opener and that is mostly as the screwdriver or as a small lever to open paint tins and the like although it does get used for bottle opening too . The awl gets used ever so often as a start for screws , the corkscrew has been used once or twice but the one that hasn't really been used is the tin opener. Well I tried it out once but that was it , I have a p38 on my keys which does a much better job . That blade also has a small screwdriver but the width of the blade makes it not really usable. There's supposedly a wire stripping use by using the large blade and the notch in the bottle opener which I've never used either.
So what do you use or not on your penknife?

Normally I carry my leatherman wave when working or fishing. Only part I haven’t used is the saw. Well serrated edge. Never found a need for it lol.

We could have a competition for who has the most horribly abused Leatherman, I use them all.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 113
I once used my leather man to slash the tyres on a bus - perfectly legitimately- how many of you can claim that!!

Oh yes the tweezers , almost forgotten them , despite using them on a semi regular basis for splinters and the like. Certainly more use than the toothpick .

As a young platoon commander involved in public order in Belfast the rioters stole buses and lorries and burnt them out to block roads. We chased them off a bus before it was burnt but couldn’t stay and stop them pushing it into position as we were needed elsewhere. We were given the order to deny its use for subsequent roadblocks, it had already been internally trashed so would be written off by Ulster bus. Me and the Company Sgt major had a race slashing tyres, leatherman verses gerber so they wouldn’t be able to roll it across the junction. Leatherman won!

As a young platoon commander involved in public order in Belfast the rioters stole buses and lorries and burnt them out to block roads. We chased them off a bus before it was burnt but couldn’t stay and stop them pushing it into position as we were needed elsewhere. We were given the order to deny its use for subsequent roadblocks, it had already been internally trashed so would be written off by Ulster bus. Me and the Company Sgt major had a race slashing tyres, leatherman verses gerber so they wouldn’t be able to roll it across the junction. Leatherman won!

I think I would probably used a bayonet

Weren’t carrying bayonets on the streets of Belfast! Also leatherman blade was significantly sharper at slicing into the tyre.

Weren’t carrying bayonets on the streets of Belfast! Also leatherman blade was significantly sharper at slicing into the tyre.

I never served a tour there during the troubles 38 so I wouldn't have known

Back