• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

People Can Handle The Truth About The Environment

Max Swain

Very Talkative
I, for one, would prefer to hear the whole, unvarnished truth about anything. If I didn’t have the full facts then how can I make up my mind about what I needed to do to deal with whatever it is?

Keith

Very Addicted
I, for one, would prefer to hear the whole, unvarnished truth about anything. If I didn’t have the full facts then how can I make up my mind about what I needed to do to deal with whatever it is?
I totally agree. People that want to bury their heads in the sand will do so regardless of what they read, so tell it like it is.
Keith.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
I don't believe the issue is one of "handling the truth" or even denial, it's about people not being prepared to change their actions. Selfishness and greed rule the day and anything that suggests a compromise for people's personal agendas is summarily dismissed.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
most people are quite aware that their lifestyle and actions are damaging the environment but most are unwilling to change, most are set in their ways and do not care.
even out here in the middle of the countryside many miles from even a small city we see discarded rubbish on a daily basis, nothing large, crisp packets, drinks cans, plastic coffee cups and takeaway containers mostly, I pick up what I can but more appears a few days later. its the fault of a takeaway/consumer society-most people don't know any better.

Keith

Very Addicted
I don't believe the issue is one of "handling the truth" or even denial, it's about people not being prepared to change their actions. Selfishness and greed rule the day and anything that suggests a compromise for people's personal agendas is summarily dismissed.
I can see that as a possibility, but would they not also have some thought for their own future? Let's assume they are mostly city workers in air conditioned buildings who don't care much for camping out or going to the beach. They intend to retire to......where? What will life be like where they are retiring to in 20-30 years time? Coastal communities under water, temperatures everywhere in the tropics sky high! In the Northern Hemisphere bad winters, power failures, etc etc. How can they not consider their own future even if they don't care about their descendants?
Keith.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
most people only care about today, tomorrow is another world, if someone is on a time limited contract or in an industry that collapses from time to time, house building comes to mind, that collapses every time there is a recession. my step grandson for instance and many of his friends don't think they have a future, if people think like that then retirement is another country.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
I can see that as a possibility, but would they not also have some thought for their own future? Let's assume they are mostly city workers in air conditioned buildings who don't care much for camping out or going to the beach. They intend to retire to......where? What will life be like where they are retiring to in 20-30 years time? Coastal communities under water, temperatures everywhere in the tropics sky high! In the Northern Hemisphere bad winters, power failures, etc etc. How can they not consider their own future even if they don't care about their descendants?
Keith.
I honestly believe that people have become that selfish to not care. We've all seen the videos on youtube of people fighting over bargains on black Friday etc.

Most people simply do not think as far ahead as retirement. In the UK having a work pension is now compulsory unless one opts out. The state pension is nowhere near enough to live on, and yet, most people opt out.

Go to any airport and see the people queuing up to make flights. At my work there is a video conferencing facility, but still they all fly to the continent rather than use it.